Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Testy Area 51

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29502 replies to this topic

#28101 of 29503 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,777 posts

Posted May 26 2013 - 09:48 PM

Didn't watch quite as much as I would have liked to this weekend, but did manage to squeeze in:

The Great Escape - The film really holds up.  I wish the Blu-Ray transfer was a little bit better.

It wasn't an awful transfer, but it was inconsistent and was softer in some portions than I would

have preferred.  Watchable, but it could've been better.

An Officer and a Gentleman - Something I haven't watched in a long, long time.  It was

very enjoyable revisiting this film.   The performances and direction elevate this film above its

story elements which are pretty standard.  The Blu-ray transfer was a thing of beauty.  I really

love older catalog titles with pristine transfers, such as this one.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#28102 of 29503 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,793 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 27 2013 - 07:35 PM

On this Memorial Day 2013, I watched Mrs. Miniver.

It is the first time I have ever watched the 1942 Best Picture winner.

Greer Garson was gorgeous.  Walter Pidgeon was his usual serviceable self. And it was fun to see Teresa Wright (Pride of the Yankees), Henry Travers (It's a Wonderful Life) and Dame May Whitty (The Lady Vanishes) in other roles.  The film must've really struck a chord with American audiences with its depiction of life in Europe during the bombings of WWII.  I found it quite moving.  My wife--not so much. 

mrs.+miniver.jpg

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#28103 of 29503 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted May 27 2013 - 08:17 PM

Have always loved Mrs. Miniver
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#28104 of 29503 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,793 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 28 2013 - 05:57 AM

I don't know how...but I neglected to report that my wife and I also took time, this weekend, to watch the recent Blu release of Driving Miss Daisy.

We were quickly reminded what an absolutely outstanding film it is.  It strikes all the right notes  (save, perhaps, the now rather dated "80s orchestrations to Hans Zimmer's delightful score):  the screenplay, direction, and performances...all top notch.  So much was done with so little. 

All those things came together so beautifully that my wife and I were both stunned afterwards with how much we both felt we knew about the characters portrayed by Jessica Tandy and Morgan Freeman.  My wife was left with tears in her eyes as the final scene of the film played out--a scene which really went to bring home, in a very basic way, how much these characters had really come to trust and love each other. 

How wonderful it is to watch a film that is something that can move you so powerfully and delicately all at the same time. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#28105 of 29503 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,392 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted May 28 2013 - 07:44 AM

Clip_10.jpg

"Look at the size of that thing!"

Clip.jpg

Clip_2.jpg

Clip_5.jpg

"Let me out! Let me out!"

Clip_6.jpg

"You may kiss the bride"

Clip_7.jpg

"What shark?"

Clip_9.jpg

Clip_8.jpg

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#28106 of 29503 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,976 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 28 2013 - 09:08 AM

I watched Stolen over the weekend. It's a Nic Cage movie. Nuff said! 2.5/5

Also watched The Telephone Book, and bizarre sex comedy from 1971. Surprisingly good for what it is, about a girl who falls in love with an obscene phone caller. The whole thing was weird. Good stuff. 3.5/5

1348168914-the-telephone-book-2.jpg

I think I'm finally going to Star Drek Into the Dumbness on Friday. I should write for Mad Magazine.

#28107 of 29503 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,392 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted May 28 2013 - 10:40 AM

I'm currently watching a 3D edition of Gamer, a 2009 film starring Gerard Butler, from what I've read they couldn't afford to film it in 3D four years ago, but converting 2D films to 3D has since become very affordable. Problem is the camera is always on the move in Gamer so the 3D is dizzying, which is a shame because some of it is pretty effective.

Would you believe a 3D conversion of The Wizard of Oz has been prepared and will be released on blu-ray later in the year! The horror! Won't be long before Gone With the Wind and Ben-Hur are out in 3D.

I am looking forward to House of Wax (1953) in 3D which should be out soon. At least that really was made with 3D in mind.

house-of-wax.jpg

Edited by Steve Christou, May 28 2013 - 10:43 AM.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#28108 of 29503 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,455 posts

Posted May 28 2013 - 11:03 AM

I watched "In Her Skin" starring Guy Pearce and Miranda Otto yesterday in the true story of a missing teenager.  It had some really disturbing parts.  Also watched "Compliance".  OK, I don't know if the extent of the events depicted were accurate, but come on people -- how gullible are you?!? 

I plan to see "Now You See Me" this weekend. And it appears that "Before Midnight" opens here on June 14!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Going back to "Fast 6" -- I'm going to have to watch these in order one day.   I think I've only seen 4, 5 and 6.  I did not realize "Tokyo Drift" actually happens way in the future after some of the films that came out afterward.  So I know I'm missing a lot of the background of the characters, but they stand alone as action films.

#28109 of 29503 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,455 posts

Posted May 28 2013 - 11:11 AM

I just realized my "Extended Edit" doesn't show (although it is still in my profile under "Group").

#28110 of 29503 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,976 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 28 2013 - 11:17 AM

Steve, House of Wax and Creature From The Black Lagoon are the only movies that make me sad that I can't see 3D.

You all realize that by going to the stupid Fast and Furious movies you just encourage them to make more right? I'm waiting for the one where Paul and Vin throw caution to the wind and just fuck each other silly. That's the only direction that series can take! :P

My problem with Now You See Me is that the magic is so ridiculous and over the top via CGI that it looks annoying. I mean, actual magic by master magicians can be a tough sell, having a bunch of actors CGI magic just looks stupid and far to unbelievable to get into.

The magic movie I'm wanting is Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay. A documentary. Ricky Jay changed my life.

#28111 of 29503 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted May 28 2013 - 11:45 AM

You all realize that by going to the stupid Fast and Furious movies you just encourage them to make more right? I'm waiting for the one where Paul and Vin throw caution to the wind and just fuck each other silly. That's the only direction that series can take! :P

That would bring to mind the old Abbott and Costello routine "Who's on top?"

#28112 of 29503 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,455 posts

Posted May 28 2013 - 12:53 PM

I'd see that.  :P

• Moe Dickstein likes this

#28113 of 29503 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,793 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 28 2013 - 02:25 PM

:laugh:

#28114 of 29503 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted May 28 2013 - 04:58 PM

Remember SNL's "The Fast and the Bi-Curious"...

#28115 of 29503 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,976 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 28 2013 - 08:13 PM

I just realized my "Extended Edit" doesn't show (although it is still in my profile under "Group").

Hey! What's the big idea with the forum taking away Liz's special status before giving ME a special status?!?!?  ATTICA!! ATTICA!! ATTICA!

Hey! Remember the slagging I gave that magic movie earlier today? I snagged a pass to see a sneak preview on Thursday. Ha! I hope I don't ruin it for everyone when I loudly go "PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT!" after every CGI trick. Maybe it will be good? It has Mark Ruffalo in it, he's great. He can save this movie, I hope.

#28116 of 29503 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,793 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 28 2013 - 08:26 PM

And, ladies and gentlemen...

With that post, Russell G hits the milestone of 9000 posts! 

party-smiley-020.gif

HTF Russell G.jpg

#28117 of 29503 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,200 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 28 2013 - 08:38 PM

Pfffffffffffffffffffffft.
facebook.com/whotony

#28118 of 29503 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,793 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 28 2013 - 08:50 PM

Pfffffffffffffffffffffft.

Oh, now, c'mon. 

I remember when we were all so proud of you for reaching 9000 posts...

#28119 of 29503 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,200 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 28 2013 - 08:53 PM

Hah.

Btw how do you even find a movie called The Telephone a Book?
facebook.com/whotony

#28120 of 29503 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted May 28 2013 - 10:59 PM

Do we mark every thousand or just 9k?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users