• Please log in to reply
29323 replies to this topic

#28021 of 29324 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,343 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 18 2013 - 08:56 AM

Hey thats right Wall-E, Total Recall and a mix of Demolition Man and Mad Max too, oh what a giveaway! :3dglasses:

Sadly Mike, Olga keeps her clothes on in this one. The other girl, Andrea Riseborough, has a nude swim though.

Have to mention the visual effects were fantastic, the widescreen photography was excellent. Must have been a humdinger of an apocalyptic war, all thats left of New York is the top spire of the Empire State Building sticking out of the ground. Damn them all to hell! [weeps]

Edited by Steve Christou, April 18 2013 - 09:02 AM.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#28022 of 29324 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,440 posts

Posted April 18 2013 - 03:12 PM

I'll be seeing Oblivion this weekend; glad you liked it, Steve.

I saw The Place Beyond the Pines this week.  As usual, I avoided reading much about it beforehand so was a bit surprised by the structure of the film.  Gosling's character has a similar vibe to his driver in "Drive".  He really does have that ability to be compelling and charismatic even in his silence.  I felt more drawn in to the opening act of the film but it was overall quite a good film.

#28023 of 29324 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,394 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 18 2013 - 05:19 PM

Bradley Cooper was here in town (well, Schenectady--the home of electricity) this past week...hanging with his homeys.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#28024 of 29324 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,893 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted April 19 2013 - 12:03 PM

Place Behind The Pines looks pretty good. I'll probably miss it though since I got a busy couple weeks ahead of me and it doesn't star Tom Cruise.

Oblivion looks pretty good, but like every Tom Cruise film I can think of from the past few years, it just doesn't interest me. I don't know why, I don't hate Cruise or care about the couch jumping and all that, he just seems to make cookie cutter action films now that would probably be more fun as direct to video titles. I completely forgot about that Jack Reacher film he did last.  Shouldn't he be doing great dramas by now? Remember how good he was in Born on the Fourth of July, Eyes Wide Shut and Rainman, those type of films? He was always a better actor than action star. I better write him a letter.

I re-watched Django Unchained on Blu this week and loved it even more the second time. Best picture winner Argo was pretty good, but forgettable compared to Django and Zero Dark Thirty. Oh Oscars, you will never get it right!

Cooper sounds like a pretty decent guy. I was never much of a fan, but I have to admit he's pretty great in Silver Lining Playbook which is a movie I liked way more than I thought I would.

#28025 of 29324 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,097 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted April 20 2013 - 10:13 PM

I watched Oblivion the other night and it brought me back to the science fiction films of the 70's. Lots of nice twists and turns. I felt it could have had a bit longer running time to flesh out the characters more. All in all I really liked it.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#28026 of 29324 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,440 posts

Posted April 22 2013 - 10:57 AM

I wouldn't rave, but I enjoyed Oblivion.

Russell, yeah, maybe Tom Cruise could mix it up a little more but maybe he might as well do the action stuff while he still can.  I've been enjoying his recent films.  I've never seen Born on the Fourth of July, though I have the Blu and intend to sometime.

#28027 of 29324 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted April 22 2013 - 12:28 PM

I hope i can see Oblivion some time this week. Hard to believe Iron Man 3 will be out in a few short weeks! I will need to see it too.

#28028 of 29324 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,893 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted April 23 2013 - 02:25 PM

You know, I was grossing about Cruise being boring, but he did that Rock Of Ages musical I never had the nerve to watch a year or so a go so I guess I should cut him a break!

Everyone says Oblivion is great, so I guess I'll try to go next week.

Speaking of musicals, I finally saw Saturday Night Fever a few weeks ago. It's good! I wrote it off as a dumb disco movie since I'm a punk rocker, but I have to say, it's pretty solid and holds up well. Gene Siskel was on to something! Grease was included with the pack I got, I have to work up some more nerve before I sit through that one. The clips I've seen make my skin crawl.

Mike, Elizabeth has "Extended Edit" under her avatar, what does that mean and who do I have to blow/kill to get special treatment around this dump? :laugh:

#28029 of 29324 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,394 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 23 2013 - 03:21 PM

Mike, Elizabeth has "Extended Edit" under her avatar, what does that mean and who do I have to blow/kill to get special treatment around this dump? :laugh:

That...gave me a real laugh today!  :rolling-smiley:

I have no idea how that gets done/changed.  I'll see what I can find out...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#28030 of 29324 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,143 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 23 2013 - 03:25 PM

:laugh:

facebook.com/whotony

#28031 of 29324 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,492 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted April 23 2013 - 03:26 PM

I have no idea how that gets done/changed.  I'll see what I can find out...

You just need to change / fill in Member Title in your profile.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#28032 of 29324 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,143 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 23 2013 - 03:28 PM

Thats a different option.

It's the same place where mine says ambassador. I can't change that.

facebook.com/whotony

#28033 of 29324 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,492 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted April 23 2013 - 03:30 PM

Ah, I see that now.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#28034 of 29324 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,394 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 23 2013 - 06:32 PM

So much mysterious stuff in this new software...

:huh:

#28035 of 29324 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,394 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 23 2013 - 06:34 PM

I suppose Elizabeth could always let us know how hers got changed... 

:rolleyes:

#28036 of 29324 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted April 23 2013 - 07:54 PM

Speaking of musicals, I finally saw Saturday Night Fever a few weeks ago. It's good! I wrote it off as a dumb disco movie since I'm a punk rocker, but I have to say, it's pretty solid and holds up well. Gene Siskel was on to something!

I'll tell my boss John Badham you liked it! It's funny to me how people think it's a musical though (JB considers it one so you're right and I'm wrong). In my mind the CHARACTERS have to sing for it to be a musical. Otherwise it's just a drama with a lot of songs.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#28037 of 29324 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,893 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted April 23 2013 - 08:52 PM

I'll tell my boss John Badham you liked it! It's funny to me how people think it's a musical though (JB considers it one so you're right and I'm wrong). In my mind the CHARACTERS have to sing for it to be a musical. Otherwise it's just a drama with a lot of songs.

Ha ha, that's great! You can tell him that VHS tapes of Wargames and Blue Thunder were pretty much worn out in my house in the 80's as well! I expected it to be a flat out musical about disco which is why it was avoided for such a long time but you're right, it's much more of a character study. It feels like a snap shot of a sub culture more then a proper musical. If it was a proper musical, that Odyssey club wouldn't of felt like a scuzzy dump.  :laugh:

#28038 of 29324 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted April 23 2013 - 09:03 PM

you gotta get the blu-rays so you can hear JB's commentary =) I felt the same way about SNF when I went to look at it again when I started working with John. It's pretty hard R lol, it's a musical with rapes and racism lol
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#28039 of 29324 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,343 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 24 2013 - 08:06 AM

I'd love to see John Badham's Dracula get a blu-ray release here in the UK and with all the original colour photography by Gil Taylor fully restored. The DVD version was a sepia-toned washout.

NASA spent $800m so that the Mars rovers can draw a penis on the surface of the Red Planet. :3dglasses:

mars drawing.jpg

The twin exploration vehicles Spirit and Opportunity were launched nine years ago, in an effort to search the surface of Mars for signs of water erosion and possibly even life.

According to Nasa, since then the rovers have driven over more than 10km of Martian land, directed by teams back on Earth combined with autonomous cameras designed to avoid potential problems with the terrain.

It appears that part of the robots' programming involves spinning in tight circles to test nearby terrain and find new routes.

Humorously, depending on your age perhaps, that has the unfortunate consequence of drawing a certain shape on the surface, which when discovered by Reddit essentially crashed Nasa's website.

http://www.huffingto...ref=mostpopular

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#28040 of 29324 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,394 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 24 2013 - 08:47 AM

NASA spent $800m so that the Mars rovers can draw a penis on the surface of the Red Planet. :3dglasses:

Obviously, we couldn't wait for the Russians to get around to it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users