What's new

Fantasy Football (Non HTF leagues) (1 Viewer)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I had my draft this past Saturday night for the FFL that I run and here is my team. Keep in mind this is an 8 team league, so everyone has 4 or 5 great players.
QBs: Kurt Warner (my keeper), Kordell Stewart, Danny Wuerfell
RBs: Eddie George, Anthony Thomas, Fred Taylor, Clinton Portis, Jonathon Wells, Warrick Dunn
WRs: Torry Holt, Jerry Rice, Johnnie Morton, Hines Ward, JJ Stokes, Bubba Franks, D'Wayne Bates, Donte Stallworth
K: Sebastian Janikowski, Joe Nedney
D: Green Bay, New Orleans
I am a bit weak at WR, but very strong at RB. I also feel Eddie George is going to have a monster year and will lead the league in rushing. Hopefully Fragile Fred plays at least 10 games, it is a contract year for him. ;)
My team has the strongest QBs and RBs, so I think I should finish in the money again this year, barring injury of course.
Post your team here after it has been drafted.
-Dean-

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
We just had our draft last night:

QB's: Kordell Stewart, Mark Brunell, Danny Weurffel
RB's: Priest Holmes, Duce Staley, Ron Dayne, Maurice Morris
WR's: Tim Brown, Ed McCaffrey, Travis Taylor, Santana Moss
TE's: Frank Wycheck, David Sloan
K's : Adam Vinatieri, Kris Brown

I play in a keeper league with 14 teams, so it's usually pretty slim pickins come draft time.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Dean, can you tell me where in your league Deuce McAllister went? I have a performance league (heavy yardage) draft on Thursday and I pick #3 in the first round (gonna get either Ahman Green or Shawn Alexander) and with pick #8 in the second round (#18 overall), I'm hoping McAllister slides to me, but I see in a lot of mock drafts Deuce is going anywhere from #11 to #16 (or later). I'm wondering where he went in your league and how you score your league.

Commenting on your roster, I like George a lot this year, but doubt he leads the league in rushing. I think the Titans are trying to get more balanced and McNair's success passing last year combined with their talented young wideouts (Dyson, Mason) will make Steve Fisher decide to not ride Eddie so hard in the future.

Being a huge Bronco fan, I think you got a steal in Clinton Portis as I feel by years end he will lead the Broncos in both total yardage from scrimmage as well as TD's (from the running back position), however you may have to wait for that greatness as he fumbled 3 times in the last preseason game and killed any chances of starting over Olandis Gary, at least for the first couple regular season games. His upside is much bigger than Gary's however and Terrell Davis was recently quoted as saying Portis will eventually break all his Bronco records...that's how talented the kid is...but the jury is still out.

You went heavy with the rookies. (Portis, Wells, Stallworth). I love the two backs, but usually shy away from rookie wide receivers in that it takes time to learn the complicated NFL system. Stallworth could be different in that regard, but the only receiver recently to make a legitimate fantasy impact in his first year was Randy Moss. Hopefully you got another Moss in Stallworth.

Dave, you have a pretty good team for a keeper league with that many teams. I bet you are kinda hoping Shaun Alexander gets hurt with your pick of Maurice Morris. I'm hoping you are wrong as I might end up with him in my draft later this week.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Here's my team. Seven team league, no keepers:

QB: Donavan McNabb, Tom Brady
RB: Ahman Green, Shaun Alexander, Emmit Smith, William Green
WR: David Boston, Tim Brown, Eric Moulds, Keyshawn Johson
TE: Jeremy Schockey, Byron Chamberlain
K: Jeff Wilkins, Brett Conway
D: Tampa Bay, Dallas

I couldn't believe my luck when Shaun Alexander found his into my lap in the fourth round. Actually, I could have had him in the third, but I picked last so I got the last pick of the third and the first pick of the fourth. One of my less that intelligent friends took the teamless Jimmy Smith while Alexander and Boston were still on the board.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Evan,

Duece was taken with the 1st pick in the 6th round. I did go heavy on the rookies this year (I usually never have more than 1). I like Portis a lot and I think Stallworth will get a lot of playing time because of Pathon being so injury prone. Plus when I drafted these guys they were the best available, IMHO.

Next year my scoring system is going to change to more performance based. Right now it is pretty even with Basic/performance scoring. However, I've been using this scoring system for a lot of years and I want to change it up a bit. Plus I am boosting the keepers from 1 to 3 keepers. However, only one of them can be a top 3 pick. The other 2 can't be better than the 5th round and you have to rotate 2 of the 3 keepers out every year. Anyway, here is my current scoring.

All TDs are 6 points and you get bonus points for yardage:
20-29 (1 point)
30-39 (2 points)
40-49 (3 points)
50+ (4 points)

Passing Yards:
250-274 (1 point)
275-299 (2 points)
300-324 (3 points)
325-349 (4 points)
350+ (5 points)

Rushing/Receiving:
1 point per reception
60-79 (1 point)
80-99 (2 points)
100-124 (3 points)
125-149 (4 points)
150+ (5 points)

Hope this helps.

-Dean-

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I couldn't believe my luck when Shaun Alexander found his into my lap in the fourth round.
Alexander in the fourth round?!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Most rankings have him going in the top 5 of the entire draft. What happened?
Our draft is tomorrow, and I have the ninth pick in a 12 team league. I figure that there are six "for sure" players who will be gone by my pick -- Faulk, Garcia, Warner, Green, Alexander and Manning. I am hoping for a choice between Culpepper and Ricky Williams with my first pick. Other options are McNab or Curtis Martin. I will post my team after the draft.
BTW, we have a non-keeper league with both TD's and yardage. QB's get a full 6 points for TD passes, so quarterbacks go earlier than in some other leagues.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Alexander in the fourth round?!! Most rankings have him going in the top 5 of the entire draft. What happened?
I was the one of maybe two or three people in the draft with a real in-depth knowledge of the game. The other two "in the know" selected Warner, Owens and Pitt D, and Manning, Moss and Martin before Alexander.

Holy crap, I just realized that Antowain Smith went before Eddie George, Jerome Bettis, Jamal Lewis and Stephen Davis.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
One of my less that intelligent friends took the teamless Jimmy Smith while Alexander and Boston were still on the board.
Jimmy Smith isn't teamless. He's still on the Jaguars, he's just holding out. His holdout will probably end soon and he'll be a good WR. I wouldn't have drafted him before Boston or Alexander though.

ShawnF

Stunt Coordinator
My draft was yesterday. My team name is Project Mayhem.

QB Brett Favre, Jim Miller
RB Eddie George, LaDainian Tomlinson, William Green,
Jamal Lewis
WR Joe Horn, Troy Brown, Jimmy Smith (please play),
Q.Ismail, Antonio Freeman, Hines Ward,
Tony Gonzalez

We use an auction style rather than serpentine to draft our players, so the order in which you pick players is irrelevant. We also draft individual defensive players, of which I will not bore you.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Duece was taken with the 1st pick in the 6th round
Wow. Seeing as most prognosticators are predicting upwards of 50+ catches and 1500 total yards for Deuce this year, pick #51 seems very low for a guy with his upside. He's looked electric in all preseason games so far and is definately going to play a big role in the Saints offense this year. Plus, the lowest I've seen him go in any mock draft is around 32. Can I play in your league?

Actually, I wanna play in Andrew's league where guys who score 16 touchdowns in only 12 games last until pick 31.

Fantasy rule of thumb. Never draft a defense before round 11, and never draft a kicker before round 14. They are just too unpredictable. I picked up the Bears defense off free agency last year after week 3 and they ended up being the second best defense in our point system...all from a defense that wasn't even drafted...when 20 other teams defenses were.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I think the Unhappy QB situation in New Orleans has some people a bit worried, plus he really is unproven. I would have taken him if I didn't already have two workhorses. :)
However, I was shocked he lasted so long in my league. My guys usually don't let guys like Deuce go that far down. For some reason there was a big run on WRs this year. Don't ask why, maybe it was the way the planets were aligned. :)
-Dean-

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Here's what I've ended up with in my non-HTF league (it was an auto yahoo draft BTW), in a 12 team non-keeper league:

QB Warner, Kurt (QB-StL)
WR Smith, Jimmy (WR-Jac
WR Thrash, James (WR-Phi)
WR Conway, Curtis (WR-SD)
RB George, Eddie (RB-Ten)
RB Stewart, James (RB-Det)
TE Jones, Freddie (TE-Ari)
Bench Stewart, Kordell (QB-Pit)
Bench Smith, Maurice (RB-Atl)
Bench Moore, Dave (TE-Buf)
Bench Taylor, Travis (WR-Bal)
Bench Hayes, Donald (WR-NE)
Bench Portis, Clinton (RB-Den)
K Gramatica, Bill (K-Ari)
DEF Pittsburgh (DEF-Pit)

I really don't like autodrafts - I'd manually ranked a bunch of players, and I still got a DEF picked in round 7, well before some of my ranked players were drafted. Ho hum.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Wanna know how dumb my friends really are? After I picked Green with the eighth pick, I actually said, "Crap, I shoulda taken Alexander," and still no one bit. The real secret to winning this stuff is to populate your league with people who don't know as much about the sport as you do. I believe Deuce went in the seventeenth round in my draft, and will probably be a backup on his team.

Howie D

Stunt Coordinator
I need to get into an 8 team league. You get alot more depth. Anyway, I'm in 3 (2 Keepers and 1 new draft).

1st (Keeper)
QB - Rich Gannon, Steve McNair
RB - Corey Dillon, Lamar Smith, Charlie Garner, Tony Richardson
WR - David Boston, Tim Brown, Kevin Dyson, Ricky Proehl
TE - Frank Wycheck
TM - Jets, Packers
K - John Carney, Matt Stover

2nd (Keeper)
QB - Rich Gannon, Tim Couch
RB - Edgerrin James, Jamel White, Trung Candidate, Clinton Portis
WR - Tim Brown, Qadry Ismail, Peerless Price, Kevin Dyson
TE - Marcus Pollard
TM - Browns
K - David Akers, Matt Stover

3rd
QB - Rich Gannon, Vinny Testaverde
RB - Antwoin Smith, Garrison Hearst, Mike Alstott, Warrick Dunn
WR - Marvin Harrison, Derrick Mason, Jerry Rice, Keenan McCardell, Willie Jackson, David Patten
TE - Frank Wycheck
TM - Jets
K - David Akers

My 3rd team I didn't draft as well as I liked but when you get 10th pick in a 10 team league, it's not fun having to wait for 18 other picks to take place after the 1st and 2nd round.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We had our draft last night. I am not real happy with my team. I had the ninth pick in a 12 team league. It seemed like my top player choice would always get picked just before my turn. Oh well, for better or worse, here is my roster:

QB: Culpepper, Brad Johnson, Todd Bouman
RB: Eddie George, Clinton Portis, Charlie Garner, LaMont Jordan
WR: Darrell Jackson, Jerry Rice, James Thrash, Hines Ward, Kevin Dyson, Koren Robinson
TE: Daivd Sloan
K: Olindo Mare
D: LaVar Arrington, Marvin Jones, Nate Wayne, Mike Barrow

Portis was a stretch in the third round, but I decided to gamble since things were not going well at that point. I will eventually dangle Jordan in a trade offer to the owner of Curtis Martin, and will try to pry Olandis Gary away from his owner.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I had a draft Thursday in one of my leagues. This one is heavy performance, touchdowns are minimal and RB's get a scoring premium, so often 12 RB's are selected before a single wideout is taken. 10 team league, non keeper.

My team...
QB - Aaron Brooks, Drew Bledsoe
RB - Shaun Alexander, Deuce McAllister, Michael Pittman, Thomas Jones, Trung Canidate and Lamont Jordan
WR - David Boston, Derrick Mason, James Thrash, Bill Schroeder
TE - Shannon Sharpe
K - Doug Brien
DEF - Dallas and Washington

Overall, I like my team. I figure I'm in the top 4 depending on how Pittman, Jones and McAllister play out. If they are all good, I could contend for the title this year. The guy with the number one pick (Faulk) was fortunate enough to have Randy Moss fall to him at #20 overall. Before you all go up in arms, remember this is heavy performance with a premium on RB's and QB's. Before Moss was taken, Terrell Owens went #16 overall and Marvin Harrison was #19. 12 RB's and 5 QB's went before Harrison and Moss left the board.

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
Hey guys. Just was curious as to what you thought of this trade I did. I gave up Garcia, Dillon, Kevin Johnson, Couch, and Kevin Dyson. I received McNair, Owens, Moss, Wheatley(trying to trade him), and Dilfer. I already have Anthony Thomas, Duckett, and Barlow at my RBs; Darrell Jackson, Freeman, McCardell at WRs; Bubba Franks at TE;Akers at K; and Bucs DEF. It seemed like a worthwhile trade to me. What you think?

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I definitely like picking up Owens and Moss, and McNair can probably do a good enough job replacing Garcia. He probably won't have as many yards and TD's, but he runs a lot more and he had a career year passing last year, so that's cool. Dyson's kind of dissapeared since "the longest yard" and his ACL tear, so that's no big loss. I don't like giving up Dillon and getting only a situational back in return, but Thomas and Duckett should get you some solid yards, and none of them are very versatile, so you're not giving up much in the passing game. As for Couch-for-Dilfer, I don't know. Dilfer has the better receivers, plus my main man Shaun Alexander in the backfield, but he's injured and with Mike Holmgren you can't really know whether a job will be waiting for him when he gets back. And, even though I love him to death (he brought my team Super Bowl glory two years ago only to get dumped on), Diler's has never been that great statistically.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks