What's new

A-Rod's Pay Cut (1 Viewer)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
ESPN is reporting tonight that A-Rod is quoted as having said he'd be willing to take a 30-40% paycut if it would help baseball. This would drop his salary to somewhere between 15 to 17.5 million a year.

I'm skeptical though. With rumors of his unhappiness in Texas circulating recently, I can't help but wonder if this might be an attempt to make himself tradeable.

Am I being overly cynical?

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I'm sure the Player's Ass'n was delighted to hear him say that.
If he's not careful, he'll end up hanging out with good 'ole Jimmy Hoffa.
:)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
His offer was completely disingenuous. His condition was that he would do it "if it would make the game better" but that he thought it wasn't a realistic proposition.

CarlS

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, this is clearly PR by ARod since he is considered the posterchild for salary excess. I don't think that this would be possible even if he really meant it.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Jim Caple said in a column of his that when he asked A-Rod if he would be willing to walk a picket line, he waved his hands in disgust and walked away. I know it's not a realistic thing, but are the players really so out of touch that the thought of doing something a "common man" would do in their situation actually disgusts them?

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I know it's not a realistic thing, but are the players really so out of touch that the thought of doing something a "common man" would do in their situation actually disgusts them?
A sincere question deserves a sincere answer. But, do you really think when he asked him if he would be willing to walk a picket line he was being sincere? It's a cheap, hot-button "trap" question. Any answer he gave would have been subject to ridicule, fodder for his column.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I don't remember the exact quote but he said that he would be willing to accept a paycut "if" it would help the game of baseball. Under what circumstances would one player taking a paycut help the game? That statement is so blatantly shallow that I have a hard time believing that anyone would even consider taking is seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks