Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

A-Rod's Pay Cut

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Carl Miller

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts

Posted August 23 2002 - 04:50 PM

ESPN is reporting tonight that A-Rod is quoted as having said he'd be willing to take a 30-40% paycut if it would help baseball. This would drop his salary to somewhere between 15 to 17.5 million a year.

I'm skeptical though. With rumors of his unhappiness in Texas circulating recently, I can't help but wonder if this might be an attempt to make himself tradeable.

Am I being overly cynical?
Carl

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Mitty

Mitty

Supporting Actor

• 886 posts

Posted August 23 2002 - 05:15 PM

I'm sure the Player's Ass'n was delighted to hear him say that.

If he's not careful, he'll end up hanging out with good 'ole Jimmy Hoffa.

Posted Image

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Brian Perry

Brian Perry

Screenwriter

• 2,815 posts

Posted August 24 2002 - 01:32 AM

His offer was completely disingenuous. His condition was that he would do it "if it would make the game better" but that he thought it wasn't a realistic proposition.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,662 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 24 2002 - 08:33 AM

And I would be happy to take a pay cut if it would end world hunger and ensure world peace forever. Posted Image

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   CarlS

CarlS

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted August 24 2002 - 11:01 AM

Yeah, this is clearly PR by ARod since he is considered the posterchild for salary excess. I don't think that this would be possible even if he really meant it.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted August 24 2002 - 11:04 AM

Jim Caple said in a column of his that when he asked A-Rod if he would be willing to walk a picket line, he waved his hands in disgust and walked away. I know it's not a realistic thing, but are the players really so out of touch that the thought of doing something a "common man" would do in their situation actually disgusts them?
"Old theatres are irreplaceable. They could never be duplicated at today's costs - but more importantly, their spirit could not be duplicated because they remind us of a day when going to the show was a more glorious and escapist experience. I think a town's old theatres are the sanctuary of...

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Mitty

Mitty

Supporting Actor

• 886 posts

Posted August 24 2002 - 12:10 PM

Quote:
I know it's not a realistic thing, but are the players really so out of touch that the thought of doing something a "common man" would do in their situation actually disgusts them?

A sincere question deserves a sincere answer. But, do you really think when he asked him if he would be willing to walk a picket line he was being sincere? It's a cheap, hot-button "trap" question. Any answer he gave would have been subject to ridicule, fodder for his column.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,951 posts

Posted August 24 2002 - 01:08 PM

I don't remember the exact quote but he said that he would be willing to accept a paycut "if" it would help the game of baseball. Under what circumstances would one player taking a paycut help the game? That statement is so blatantly shallow that I have a hard time believing that anyone would even consider taking is seriously.