Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Need DVD player recommendations - prog scan, multi disc, DVD-A

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Jason Hartman

Jason Hartman

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 23 2002 - 02:26 AM

I'm looking to upgrade and get a prog scan DVD player since i'll soon be getting a new Tosh 65" HDTV. I'm a fan of Toshiba and Denon products. My receiver is a Denon 3801.

I'm looking for a prog-scan player that can play 2-5 discs at a time and can play DVD-Audio discs. I thought it would be easy to find this combo in either the Toshiba or Denon lines but this doesn't seem to be the case. I love my older Tosh DVD player that has the twin-tray design - it's perfect for 2-DVD sets. Just watch the movie and hit a but to see the other disc and watch the extras. I don't know why this feature has all but vanished. Speaking of vanishing features - why can't i find a player that will show me the "time remaining"?? My old Tosh does this also.

Oh yeah, and my budget it about $400-500.

Just because i really like Denon products, i'm leaning towards the DVD-1600 at the moment. This is just a single disc unit but its prog scan and supposed to be awesome with DVD-Audio and audio production in general.

I'm not sure what other brands to trust. I could never really get comfortable with the Panasonic name. That names just means "electric toothbrush" or "electric razor" whenever i hear it. Hard for me to get past that impression and think of them as a high end audio company. But its also hard to deny all of the great reviews that they receive on their products.

What other products should i consider? Anyone know of any new models from Tosh or Denon coming out in the next few months?

Thanks for your input!

Jason
My Home Theater:
Toshiba 65hdx82 65" HDTV
Scientific Atl. SA3100 HDTV Cable STB
Yamaha DV-C6480 Prog Scan DVD Changer
Denon AVR-3801 ReceiverNHT SuperCenter and SuperOnes

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Bry_DD

Bry_DD

Second Unit

• 345 posts

Posted August 23 2002 - 02:50 AM

I believe JVC has a 7 disc changer DVD and DVD-A player. Just forgot the model number though.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   John Kotches

John Kotches

Screenwriter

• 2,636 posts

Posted August 23 2002 - 04:42 AM

Kenwood announced some new DVD-V/DVD-A changers at the US$650 price point (MSRP). This unit might be found within your budget.

Their first changer, the DV-5700 was remarkable given its price point. Superb video quality, and very good audio quality.

The DV-5700 has been lowered in price to roughly the US$750 range, which is a bit more than your stated budget......

If you could stretch your budget that fair IMO you wouldn't be sorry.

Regards,
Surround Music Enthusiast / Curmudgeon in Training
Opinions are my own, not representative of the publication I write for.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas

Second Unit

• 391 posts

Posted August 23 2002 - 11:01 AM

I'm actually selling my Denon 1600 on ebay after only 2 weeks...even though it's a fantastic player. Reasons:

1. You see, I've got this sickness...
2. Changed my mind about priorities...
3. Decided to get a multi-disc player.

I just ordered the Panasonic DVD-CP72K, which is based on the popular 82 model. It's a 5 disc changer w/ prog. scan & dvd-a. I figure I'll play more DVD-A music if I can load up 5 DVD's rather than 1 at a time. I found myself just using DVD-A for demos. I also just got a SACD changer...so I should be set for music. Imagine 10 multi-channel music discs spinning simultaneously! Posted Image

While the silver colored player is available, the black one is backordered from onecall.com I'm paying $241 delivered.

The Yamaha DVD-CX1 is a progressive DVD-A changer that lists for $1300. It got a good review (especially the audio portion) in this month's DVD ETC. magazine. While it costs 5x the Panasonic...I can't imagine it being 5x better!

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted August 23 2002 - 02:47 PM

John,

Crutchfield recently added the Kenwood DV-6050 progressive-scan DVD-Audio changer to its web site. It isn't in stock yet, but they will be selling it for $350. You must be talking about a different model, perhaps a replacement for the '5700. Is Kenwood releasing a new DVD-Audio changer as part of the Sovereign line?

Jason,

The Kenwood '5700 would be a good choice for $700. See www.crutchfield.com for more information. In addition, since you like Denon, check out the DVM-4800, which sells for $1200. I know it is priced high based on your budget, but you might consider it. Crutchfield has it as well. As for a budget model, I would look at the Panasonic 'CP72. Panasonic makes solid DVD players.
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza