What's new

Optical cable length? (1 Viewer)

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
I'll need to run the optical out from my Xbox about thirty feet to my processor. Is there a maximum recommended run length for optical DD5.1 data? Can anyone recommend a brand of cable this length that won't cost an arm and a leg?
Thanks,
John Kilroy
------------------
Link Removed

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I believe that the digital output from the X-Box special HD adaptor pack will be coaxial, not optical.
I imagine that you would be hard pressed to find an optical digital cable of thirty feet in length. Maybe 'Better Cables' could build you one? (they have bannar ads all over this site)
In any case, you should be OK with a long high quality 75 ohm Shielded Video Cable (you can find them at Radio Shack for about $20-25) to carry the coaxial digital signal for you.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
quote:
I believe that the digital output from the X-Box special HD adaptor pack will be coaxial, not optical.
[/quote]
You know I thought the same thing, but surprisingly enough its been confirmed that the HD pack will only have a toslink digital output. Heres the break down of what it has.
HD Pack:
Component
Composite
Toslink
Advanced Pack:
Composite
S-video
Toslink
I can't for the life of me figure out why MS decided to use optical toslink instead of digital coax, but that's the way they went. Maybe for the "cool" factor I guess.
Dean
As for a 30' toslink, you could try radioshack, I'm pretty sure I saw the local one here had one that type of length. Better cables should be able to build one for you I guess.
[Edited last by Dean Cooper on September 07, 2001 at 01:47 AM]

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Hmph, I could swear that the HD pack has a coaxial out just by looking at it, but I guess not, eh?
Well, I guess Better Cables will need to build that 30 footer after all. I don't think I have ever seen a 30' toslink at any local Radio Shack.

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any chance of signal degradation at this length? Is there a recommended max length for optical?
John
------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks