What's new

PS2 DVD driver update (1 Viewer)

JasonMC

Stunt Coordinator
Before the release of GT3, there were some rumors about the possibility of a DVD driver update with would include the possibilty of progressive scan output. Now that GT3 is out, is there an updated driver located in it?
Thanks,
Jason

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Last rumour I heard, and it's probably pure speculation, was that new drivers would be bundled with the 'official' PS2 DVD remote due in September.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
No new drivers with GT3. Like Brian said, the new drivers are supposed to be released with the official Sony DVD remote.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Anyone have more info on the official Sony dvd remote (where I can find it on the web)? Since I've heard it was sold in Japan a while back, I've been puzzled as to why it hasn't been released in the US.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I also heard that they are releasing the drivers with the remote. I wonder if they would be able to update the drivers to include 5.1 in real-time....anyway, X-Box has a remote of its own in a "DVD Package" that includes the remote and I think a disc that enables the DVD function. Microsoft claims that they didn't include DVD function because people don't want it, but I don't see how making a $30 remote separately is a smart idea. Also, I saw a picture of the remote, and it is a carbon copy of the RCA DVD remote that I have with my DVD player (I don't know the version of the player or anything). I think Microsoft could have made it a little more original. I don't really care what Microsoft does anymore, since nothing that they have done so far has made me sit up and take notice.

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have more info on the official Sony dvd remote (where I can find it on the web)?
The Japanese remote looks like this:
ps2remote.jpg

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The reason why MS didn't include DVD Playback with XBox is simple. Every time a DVD player is made, the DVD consortium gets $25, which is split between the various members. By selling it seperately, basically at cost, they get the unit price down, and get the feature for those who want it
Jeff Kleist

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Thanks Phil for the nice pic...hope they release something similar or the same for the US.
Guess who is part of the dvd consortium?...Sony. If MS included the dvd remote, they would be paying monies to their chief console competitor.
There's a reason for almost everything...and not just the ones Microsoft provides.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Think of it like this:
When you buy an X-Box, you are paying for a HDD, a High-Speed Modem, High-Definition output, and 5.1 output in real-time. Now how many people have all of those features in their homes? And how many people would rather have those features be removed so that they can get only what they want and then lower the overall price of the X-Box? THe thing is huge and only has one function. Adding a DVD playback ability and taking out the other things (like the HDD and modem) would make it cheaper than the PS2 or the same price and with more functions. If the console is successful enough, then they should be able to pay that $25 and still make a profit. Considering that the PS2 has 4 functions at the same price as the X-Box (which has one), plus the fact that the good X-Box games are all online ones (and online won't be out for another year or so), it makes the X-Box less worth it. Also, the X-Box HDD is only 8 GB, compared to the PS2's OPTIONAL HDD that is 100 GB.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I think you may be correct and I was incorrect. I might have read somewhere that said the PS2 had a 100 GB HDD. Even if it is 40 GB, thats still 32 GB larger than the HDD for the X-Box, plus you don't have to buy the PS2's HDD. For the X-Box, you have to.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The hard drives are going to be used differently by each console as well. The XBOX will use the hard drive for temporary storage, whereas the PS2 will allow games to be semi-installed on the hard drive, like FFX.

------------------
- Dave

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=bickle

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the PS2 will be able to have games save on the HDD, as well as download extra levels, characters, videos, stats, etc.--it all depends on what the developers decide to use it for. For the X-Box, you have to pay for the HDD, even though you don't need them; you could just use a memory card instead. As for the loading games onto the HDD, that is just to reduce loading times, and you don't need the HDD. If developers made games for the X-Box that used the HDD, then you would fill a lot of it up. Say that you have the internet (DSL) and a lot of games. You save onto it, download onto it, and load MP3s for games onto it. That takes up a lot of space, and wastes the HDD's 8 GB of storage.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
So on one hand, the XBOX hard drive, which is included in the price of the system, and is used for temporary storage, will get cluttered with data. But on the other hand, the PS2 hard drive, which will cost extra (and quite a bit), and will be used for long term storage and game installs, won't get cluttered by data?

I don't think you understand what the XBOX uses the hard drive for, as you alluded to using it for game saves. While it can be used that way, developers are encouraged to utilize the memory card instead. It is intended to be used to stream game data. Data will temporarily be copied to the hard drive, then streamed during game play. The main function of the PS2 drive is similar (streaming data), although it also will be used for long term data storage.

------------------
- Dave

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=bickle

Attachments

• welcome.gif
    welcome.gif
    596 bytes · Views: 60

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone advise if the "progressive scan" drivers will allow you to zoom and scale?
Also is all this Sony DVD driver update stuff factual or wishful thinking?
Phil

Attachments

• welcome.gif
    welcome.gif
    596 bytes · Views: 52

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The Sony DVD driver update is factual. They have the ability to update it if they want to, and they have already for the first generation of PS2's in Japan (the ones that required the memory card no longer require it).
As for the HDDs, the memory used for installing games and streaming them doesn't get taken off when you finish playing--it stays on the HDD. The PS2 HDD is 32 GB larger, and no games (besides FFX) use the ability yet, and it is not required to play games. The XB HDD is only 8 GB and will fill up quicker, plus the games can be made so they need the HDD, which means that it will fill up no matter what. It would be stupid to make a PS2 game that requires the HDD, so it won't fill up as quickly because of both size and control over what goes on it, two things the XB HDD lacks.

James D S

Screenwriter
so it won't fill up as quickly because of both size and control over what goes on it, two things the XB HDD lacks.
I have not heard full details on the extent the XBox will allow for user maintenance. Where did you hear this?
Last I heard, via the included Dashboard, users will be allowed to add/remove (uninstall) anything they wish to/from the XBox HD.
It is expected, and entirely possible, that the XBox offer external HD upgrades, rendering your argument moot anyway.
Not that it matters, yet.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
What I was saying is that you have to constantly maintain the HDD for the X-Box because it gets filled up by everything, whereas the PS2 HDD doesn't because games don't need it for anything unless its a bonus feature added into the game.
How would they have updates for the HDD? There are no ports other than the modem, power, High Def, A/V, and controller ports. The PS2 in Japan used the USB ports for its HDD, and I heard the controller ports for the X-Box are USB, but if you are going to buy a larger HDD anyway, why not just buy the larger one instead of the 8 GB one, too? (I am saying that Microsoft should have included a larger HDD or no HDD)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks