What's new

This just in: Universal TV news! (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter
from Video Business.com Wednesday, 8/21/02

UNIVERSAL IS TURNING ON THE TV FOR DVD
Law & Order, Baretta, Dragnet heading to disc.
By Scott Hettrick 8/21/2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUG. 21 | Joining the parade of studios exploiting their libraries of TV series on DVD, Universal Studios Home Video has announced that it is preparing DVDs of Law & Order and Baretta for release in October. The latter has extra heat given the high-profile murder case involving Baretta star Robert Blake.

In an indication of the pressure to capitalize on this hot new market that has seen everything from The Jeffersons to The Simpsons come to DVD, Universal took the unusual step Wednesday of announcing eight other series that it is hurriedly preparing for DVD.

Those series include science-fiction/science-fantasy series Battlestar Galactica, Quantum Leap, Earth: The Final Conflict and Sliders--which fit into the mold of series such as Star Trek, The X-Files, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer that have performed so well on DVD--and classics such as Dragnet, Magnum P.I. and The Rockford Files. That category also has shown strong sales on DVD with I Love Lucy, M*A*S*H and The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Universal is also working on its popular 1970s series Emergency, but there was no mention as yet of Universal series that were popular in syndicated reruns for decades such as Leave It to Beaver, Bewitched or Columbo.

A six-disc set of Law & Order: The First Season, starring Michael Moriarty, will offer 22 episodes with an introduction by producer Dick Wolf on Oct. 15 (prebook Sept. 10) at a suggested retail price of $99.98 (minimum advertised price of $79.95).

Debuting on Oct. 29 (prebook Sept. 24) are Baretta: Season One ($39.98 SRP, $29.95 MAP), a three-disc set featuring 13 episodes in their entirety and in original broadcast order, and Best of Baretta ($19.98 SRP), including the little-seen series pilot and two "bonus" episodes featuring the music of Sammy Davis Jr.

Davis wrote and performed the theme song, "Keep Your Eye on the Sparrow."

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Somebody pass me the smelling salts! Quantum Leap? Dragnet? EMERGENCY!? Ohhhhhhh, yes!!!!!!!!!! Emergency! is the keeper in that list for me, but QL and Dragnet will help drive me to the poor house as well. TV on DVD is so cool!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Galactica, finally out in its entirety

Droooooooooooolllll

All I need now is Earth 2 and I have every Universal show on my most wanted list

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
but there was no mention as yet of Universal series that were popular in syndicated reruns for decades such as Leave It to Beaver, Bewitched or Columbo.
Huh. I thought Columbia had the rights to Bewitched? They show it on TV (with I Dream of Jeannie) through their Screen Gems Network. Is this one of those tangled ownership things again?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'm glad for fans of all these shows that they are coming. I know many of these have been oft-requested here.
That said... I have NO interest in any of these shows!! Woo hoo!! My wallet gets a much-needed rest!! ;)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
DRAGNET on DVD! Woo-hoo! :) :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Note to Universal: wanna make the fans really happy around Halloween time in 2003? Just seven magic words~~
BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER: Season One Box Set

Jo_C

Second Unit
Universal must have made some kind of deal with Jack Webb's surviving daughter and the Estate Of Jack Webb to get the rights for Dragnet and Emergency since the Webb Estate actually owns these shows.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If so, maybe we'll get Adam-12 as well. That was another Webb classic.
In the Emergency! boxes, I'd like to see the cartoon ("Emergency +4") and the long-unseen, failed pilot "Sierra," which featured appearances by Johnny and Roy.
23 30-minute episodes of the cartoon were aired, so maybe that is too much to hope for. Still, if Universal is reading this . . . keep it in mind. :)
http://web3.foxinternet.net/starska/html/e4.htm

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
They sound like they are off to a good start. I'm hoping Northern Exposure makes the schedule for later next year.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Damn it! There goes my savings account! I know I'll be picking up Battlestar Galactica, Sliders, Magnum P.I., Emergency, and maybe even Quantum Leap. Hell, there are a few others that I'd love to have as well.
Does this mean there's hope for Miami Vice and Simon & Simon? :emoji_thumbsup:

Douglas Kalon

Stunt Coordinator
Really great news.

I am looking forward to Galactica, Sliders, Emergency and Earth:Final Conflict.

What about Xena: Warrior Princess and Hercules (With Kevin Sorbo)? They only released 2 discs of the live action series, what about the entire series?

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator
Magnum PI and The Rockford Files!

Superb! Now if only Universal would follow up with Quincy, Ironside and Kolchak!!!

Great news all the same, though.

Better start saving.

David

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Another vote here for BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER: Season One Box Set, and I'd also like to see Sam Raimi's AMERICAN GOTHIC, which I believe Universal also has the rights to.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Wow, that covers everything I knew about, and a few more! I surmised Sliders and Quantum Leap, was certain about Galactica and was outright told about Baretta and L&O. Didn't know about the others...Emergency! will be VERY welcome. Rockford, too.
Since noone else that I've seen has posted these screen shots, here's more to whet your appetites:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks