What's new

An Overview of Budget Surge Protectors (1 Viewer)

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Overview of Budget Surge Protectors Under $100
Much buzz is out there over larger, rack-style, surge protection black boxes ranging to $700. For those whose needs are more modest with midsized systems, who are not exposed to constant electrical/lightning storm activity, and who benefit from reliable, constant voltage delivery from their public power utilities, smaller, sit-on-the-floor surge protectors can give adequate, peace-of-mind protection.
Here are several robust units, some of them of recent redesign, that appear to fill this less costly niche for users of mid-power receivers and other HT components and with various cable tv or satellite systems. All use the standard MOV (metal oxide varistor) coils. The only flash on these units are the diagnostic LED lights.
Hints: Look for UL 1449 Listing and higher Spike amperage capacity (over Joule Single Spike Dissipation numbers. See Why).
Note: Panamax Max Series is higher design than Powermax 8 Series. Tip: Look for the new all white series with "SurgeGate Plus."
Panamax Max8 DBS +5 ($149.95 MSRP; or $74.99 at Link Removed
Outlets – 8 (4 always on, 4 switched)
Accommodates two satellite system receivers
Two Sat Coax lines - Clamping level of 27V
Two Antenna/Cabletv lines – Clamping level of 0.7V
Single Phone Jack pass-thru for pay-for-view
UL 1449 Listing for 330V surge Clamping Level
Spike Capacity - 52,000A
Undervoltage (brownout) Overvoltage protection circuit- 78V/147V
RF/EMI line noise filter
15A 1800-watt capacity
Hard plastic chassis
Warranty - $5 million connected equipment protection policy. Expanded 3-year or 5-year warranty for LNB and DBS receiver.
Panamax Max8 COAX ($89.95 MSRP; $79 at discountpanamax.com)
Outlets - 8 as above
One cabletv line at 0.7V clamping
Under/Over voltage protection 78V/147V
Joule Rating 1650
Surge Clamping 330V and Spike capacity 52,000A
UL 1449 Listing
15A 1800-watt
$5 million connected equipment policy
Panamax Powermax8 COAX ($49.95 MSRP)
One cable line
Specs same as DBS+3
No undervoltage circuit
UL 1449 Listing
$100,000 connected equipment policy
TrippLite ISOBAR6 DBS ($77.50 at partsexpress.com) Click for picture
Outlets – 6
One Satellite line
One Antenna/Cabletv line; Clamping voltage both lines 7.5V
Single phone line jack
UL 1449 Listed Clamping voltage 330V
Surge current capacity – 92,000A
Joule Rating 2850
No undervoltage circuit
RF/EMI line noise filter
Power On/Off switch
Aluminum chassis
Warranty - $50,000 lifetime equipment coverage. Product Replacement – Lifetime.
Belkin SurgeMaster Gold F9G933-10 ($67.99 MSRP and under $40 online)
Outlets – 9
Specifies Projection TV capable
One Satellite coax
One Antenna/Cabletv line
One phone line
UL 1449 Listed 330V clamping
Joule rating 2950
Spike current capacity 150,000A
RF/EMI line noise filter
No undervoltage circuit
Lifetime Unlimited Connected Equipment Warranty
Here's a newer more hefty Belkin for $119 MSRP AV Pro
MonsterPower HTS850 ($129.95 MSRP; or $109.99 at discountpanamax.com)
Outlets – 8
Two coax connections for mixed sat/cable/antenna
Single phone jack line
Joule Rating 2590
Surge Clamping voltage 330V
Coax cable clamping 75V
RF/EMI “Stage 1” AC line noise filter
Audible alarm for surges plus status lights
No undervoltage circuit
No specified UL Listing
15A, 1800-watt capacity
$150,000 connected equipment warranty

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I might add Monster HTS11000(8 outlets) and 2000(12 outlets) to the entry list, but NOT the AR-10 "mystery" boxes; who knows what's inside?

bill

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
the shadow knows...hehehehehehe :) btw, ever go to a computer show and see those overseas power directors/surge protectors for sale with no UL listing whatsoever? gives me the willies!

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Just an update to some of your prices, Buy.com has good deals on many of these models, for instance:
Tripplite ISOBAR6 DBS - $54.12
Panamax MAX 8 DBS+5 - $55.70
Belkin SurgeMaster Gold F9G933-10 - $33.14
MonsterPower HTS850 - $85.89
I'm sure some could be found even cheaper elsewhere, but I just remembered getting my ISOBAR6DBS at Buy.com awhile back for about $50 ;)
-- Dave

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Dave, that's great input! These are moving targets, but the gist is that there are plenty of

Jon Duke

Stunt Coordinator
At Bill's wise urging, I recently picked up the Tripp Lite Isobar 6, and I have never been happy with such a "useless" part of my home theater. Simply by picking up the box I knew this was a solidly built surge protector that will help to protect my goods for years to come.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Since this thread got bumped, I'll add a new "explainer" I found from the APC company Link Removed that tells why Joule Rating alone isnt sufficient indicator, compared to a U.L.1449 and 330V "let-through" voltage specs.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I have a Panamax Max8 coax for my HT set up and I'd like to get something similar for my computer, the only catch is I need something that has the capability to protect ethenet lines as well, I see ones with phone lines but none for ethernet lines. Anyone know of a sub 80$ surge protector with Ethernet capability?

Adam

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Adam,
TrippLite has a bunch of them from $$$ to $$ to $. Take a look HERE.
The No. 10 seems to be the smallest in-line model.
Paanamax also has these All-Path that connect to a Panamax Max8, so see if the connectors fit your need.
bill

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
i just want to ask what you think about a UPS in the system as well?
i have a lot of on/off/on/off power flickers here, one time of which zapped the remote receiver for my ceiling fan. i would think a UPS would be beneficial behind a good power strip, hooked up to at least the tv and receiver (usually the 2 most expensive components).

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Lee, I'd be glad to talk about this, but why not start a new thread and get more responses. This particular topic thread really wasnt intended for a back and forth, just a guideline:)
bill

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
thats ok bro,
i did a search and found out what i needed to know pretty much, and learned about the pure sine wave stuff. doesnt look like the ups will be going in the HT here. =)
the panamax max8 dbs+5 was either out of stock or a bit pricey for me right now at most places, so i went with the tripplite isobar6 dbs. they have a good record for payoff on damaged equipment from what i hear.
thanks

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well the main use of something like that is typically to provide power for a short time in order to effect an orderly shutdown. However some of these units also have the ability to also provide a constant voltage output. The thing is, is that depending upon the unit, it'll either output a true sine wave or it'll put out a 'sawed' output on a regular basis. I'd think that the latter would not be desirable. The sine wave output devices are considerably more money.
Now if what your question had more to do with looking to provide a measure of redundancy with regards to surge supression, then perhaps your needs would be better served with units like brickwall, adcom, surgex...etc. Those are non-mov units that currently meet the strictest implementation of UL 1449 including the optional parts.

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
yes, i was looking for something to keep my system running smoothly during a power flicker. i have a ups for my computer that has worked great for the last few years. just wanted something to keep my components in my HT from having a lot of on/off flipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks