What's new

BTTF: R1 version will not have dts tracks; Petition needed for 4th disc!!! (1 Viewer)

Henry Woo

Agent
Don't know if anyone has read this yet but per BTTF.com website and their interview with BTTF producer Bob Gale, the R1 versions of the trilogy will not have the dts tracks that the international versions has. This is so as to free up about 30 minutes per disc for additional extras.

I know this will upset dts supporters, myself being one. However I think this is a bigger argument for Universal to add an additional fourth disc to the boxset to house the extras and to keep the dts tracks.

I don't know if it is too late in the game but I think we need to petition Universal asap to try to change this.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Well, expanding to 4 discs would be good, and would forever be the ideal situation, DTS or no DTS on there but I did actually hope for this because the specs for each disc in the R1 were really starting to clog up space and DTS was the least enticing spec for me originaly of all the extra stuff the R1 would be getting, and I had serious quality concerns...
Personally, I think it's a little too late to start a petition, have so many people sign it and have it to Universal in time before they master the discs.
note: whislt this news really should have been added to the main BTTF thread, I figure this is significant enough news to warrant it's own discussion and make people further aware
For reference, the full article at BTTF.com is here. Lots of great info about the R1 straight from Gale which should make any fan think otherwise in buying the earlier international DVD releases.
Dan

Yannick Martin

Stunt Coordinator
:thumbsdown: Universal
I'm waiting for this trilogy to be release on DVD since 1997. Last year, after more than 5 years of waiting, I bought them on LDs on EBAY. After all the wrong decision on this release and the E.T. release, I'm beginning to think that I'll pass this release and keep my LDs and save some money for great release like LOTR:EE, AOTC, Grease, Ice Age, Star Trek TNG...
Who knows, maybe they'll announce an Ultimate Edition with a DTS track next year (after all we're talking about Universal).
Now, if I could get cheap LDs of E.T. and the Indiana Jones trilogy.
YM

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
No dts, no problem. Dolby Digital's cool with me.

Please don't tell me that your going to let a lack of dts keep you from buying these films!?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
You'd also note the fact Bob Gale stated he didnt overly care for the DTS track on the R4. "I did a comparison test between Dolby Digital and DTS and the differences are miniscule — if in fact there are any."
Dan

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I'm disappointed in this to say the least. I know I will still buy them because the price is good, but it sucks.:angry: :thumbsdown:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
What sucks!? :confused: The fact that were finally getting these classics on dvd after all this time, and after so many false alarms, or the fact that the DD tracks will be incredible!?
:rolleyes

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
If it's okay with Bob Gale, it's okay with me. Just give me an anamorphic transfer and a nice Dolby Digital track of the trilogy and I'd be happy.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
What sucks!? The fact that were finally getting these classics on dvd after all this time, and after so many false alarms, or the fact that the DD tracks will be incredible!?

I'm not complaining that much.... I would just feel slightly cheated that the R4 has it and we won't. If it's even true. Believe me, I'm not complaining that much, and I know they will be great. I love these movies as much as anyone. They are one of the big 3 holy trilogies. So get off my back. When you see DTS tracks on movies such as Time Maching, which in my opinion was terrible, and then my favorite movies as Bttf are, YES it kind of sucks.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Josh, seriously, read the full article and look at all the neat stuff the R1 gets over the R4 and other regions, and the R1 specs are STILL being put together. I can't wait, and I sure hope Gale's desire to get some making of the ride features on there happens.

Dan

Henry Woo

Agent
I am happy that they are trying to load up these discs with additional extras and features. It is just disappointing that after such a long wait, they are crowding everything onto 1 disc for each movie. Considering that almost every big release nowadays get a 2 disc release, for such great movies as the BTTF trilogy, you would had thought they would have at least added a 4th or 5th disc to house the bulk of the extras and to give the trilogy the royal treatment that it deserves. That route would had ensure adequate room for the audio (including the dts track) and video for the movie.

Overall, since these are older movies, the dts mix probably wouldn't have been that significant an improvement. I would have hoped for more of an involvement from Michael J. Fox since he carries the trilogy. Would have been nice to have Michael and Chris Lloyd together on a commentary.

Yes, it looks like the trilogy on dvd will be a loaded box set. However instead of being a 10, it might just wind up being a 8. Another dvd letdown/disappointment from Universal after the ET fiasco (early promise of the original version now only on the more pricier dvd set).

And don't get me started on this Total Axcess crap. Let keep all the extras on the dvds!!.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Well, I think the set should be 4 discs, regardless. A little upset about no DTS, but oh well, the DD tracks will be great and at lesat there's more space for video quality.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
It is just disappointing that after such a long wait, they are crowding everything onto 1 disc for each movie.
that's their trademark isn't it ? as far as i can remember, universal aren't big on 2 disc sets (excluding their ultimate[ly pointless] editions). they didn't even part with the cash to give us a 2 disc set of jaws. you can't teach an old dog new tricks, so i doubt they'll go along with the idea of a 4th disc.
sounds like they're just trying to cut corners at the expense of quality. business as usual. afterall, it'll only be us who will notice all the compression problems, not joe public. and if we're lucky, they might compensate the image with EE to make up for the lacking in quality. lucky aren't we :)

Brenton

Screenwriter
It annoys me when people assume that a DTS track is, by default, better that Dolby Digital. Is it remotely possible that a remastered version of a fifteen year old track can only reach a certain level of quality?

As for the ones who will refuse to buy these because of a lack of DTS, I feel sorry for you that you won't be able to get all the enjoyment that the rest of us will get from these great discs.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I already placed my order for the R4 version. I knew there would be more extras on the R1 version, but I barely even watch the extras once on the discs I already own.
I buy the discs for the films and not the extras. But then again, I use a HTPC so I can take advantage of the extra resolution PAL offers as well. DTS always sounds much better on my mediocre home-theater setup. Maybe there's less of a difference if you have a better equipment, but you would think it would be the reverse.
I think I meant to say I prefer a good DTS track over more features. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Eric,
yes but it's been stated by Bob Gale himself that the difference betwen the dts and DD track is very small, so why not go for the edition with the extras I always say. Plus you'll be getting a comparable DD track that sounds just as good.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I'm all for DTS tracks, but they don't always sound better than DD tracks. And if these don't, who cares? Gimme extras. DTS didn't even exist when these films were released in theaters anyways. I just hope they do the fourth disc thing, whether they add the DTS tracks or not. It sounds like they've got more bonus material than they know what to do with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks