Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

In the movie "Outbreak" With Dustin Hoffman....

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter

Second Unit

• 388 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 05:55 AM

Was the "big bomb" shown in the beggining and ending based on fact? If so how close to the real thing does the movie come to?
Mark F. Leiter

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   LDfan

LDfan

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 06:34 AM

What do you mean by the real thing? Are you wondering if bombs like that exsist or are you wondering if there are viruses that are like the one in the movie?

Jeff

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Julian Reville

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

• 1,197 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 06:38 AM

The "big bomb" was supposed to be a fuel-air bomb, and from what I have heard, they do exist and they are rather powerful. That's all I know about them, sorry.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,782 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 11 2001 - 07:32 AM

Isn't this "big bomb" just napalm?

------------------
My DVD Collection Posted ImageCasa del Clint

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted October 11 2001 - 07:43 AM

If you’re asking about the existence & capability of fuel-air explosives it is accurate. Fuel-air explosives can be made about as powerful as tactical nuclear weapons but without the radiation or political stigma.

There are numerous articles on fuel-air explosives on the Internet. Here’s one of them:

Fuel-Air Explosives

Jay Taylor

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Chris Fondoklis

Chris Fondoklis

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 07:43 AM

No, Napalm is not the same as a Fuel Air Explosive.
Napalm is basically jellied gasoline.

A FAE bursts is mid air and sprays atomized fuel over a given area. It is then ignited. Resulting explosion is many time more powerfull then traditional explosives because
the oxygen required for combustion is obtained from the air and not carried in bomb. Tremendous heat and blast damage.

Hope a few of these are headed where they are needed most now !!

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 08:19 AM

Quote:
Hope a few of these are headed where they are needed most now !!

Without trying to be political, let's remember that the goal of the current missions is to hit selected Taliban and terrorist targets that have been identified by intelligence. Caution is being exercised as best as possible to avoid civilian casualties. I don't think using a fuel-air bomb on Kabul, Kandahar, etc. would be as selective as we would like, although I could be wrong.

------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection

KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter

Second Unit

• 388 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for the link. I was wondering about their existence. When I heard report about the military using those old “bunker busters” from the gulf war started thinking about what one or two of these might do to hasten things along a little.

Not against civilians, but from the looks of things we’re going to be moving on the ground before long and as far as I’m concerned, if you got two fists, why hit with just one?

Just like Teddy used to say; "Step lightly and carry a big(WACK) stick(WACK-WACK)."
Mark F. Leiter

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted October 11 2001 - 10:03 AM

Quote:
Caution is being exercised as best as possible to avoid civilian casualties. I don't think using a fuel-air bomb on Kabul, Kandahar, etc. would be as selective as we would like, although I could be wrong.

I agree. This is not a weapon for downtown Kabul. However they do make smaller 500 lb. versions of this weapon that may be needed in other areas.

Parts of Afghanistan contain some of the heaviest concentrations of land mines in the world. Fuel-air explosives may be one of the best things to clear a mine field without getting anyone killed.

Jay Taylor

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Chris Fondoklis

Chris Fondoklis

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 12:43 PM

Of course they should not be used on civilian populations.
As was said, they would be helpful in clearing mines and
if used on any tunnel complexes al Qaeda and bin Laden use, it
would make folks think twice on hiding in tunnels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow