What's new

A Remake of Straw Dogs? (1 Viewer)

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
Could you handle a remake of Straw Dogs?
Link Removed
, which will be directed by John Polson. ***Taken from IMDB***
I think it's a waste. I mean the original was excellent, why remake it and market it as a different movie?
"Straw Dogs: The Hollywood Version" or "Fear Itself"... Sounds crappy already

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I really wish that Hollywood would heed the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
With anyone else but Norton this would be an instant brush off. But I'm kinda intrigued with his involvement. He's a powerhouse actor and a new version might add something to the original experience if it's done right.
Even though I thought the original was very powerful, I wouldn't say I liked it all that much. If not for the rape controversy, I would guess it would have slipped away behind Wild Bunch and Cross of Iron, which IMO are far superior Peckinpah experiences.
Norton :emoji_thumbsup: Whatever you do will interest me.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Remember though, that sometimes these things do work out. A film like Fistful of Dollars, for example. Or Body Heat.
Heck, even Red Dragon might surprise us.
Not every remake is just hack crap. A lot of them are, but not all of them. ;)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I could see it working. But, I think it would have to be a shot by shot remake, not something rewritten with new angles and plot. I've given up the fight on whether it's needed or not. Hollywood will do anything it wants because you know...money walks. Of course, another shot by shot disaster like Gus Van Sant's Psycho might be the poison Hollywood deserves.
Bruce

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Cape Fear might be better than the original. It's damn close. And both have plenty of merit as films in their own right.
I have a soft spot for the Sabrina remake, but I could see someone defending the original more.
And following those two, what about Father of the Bride. I think the remake is just as good. Better, probably not. But enjoyable.
Oh, and what about Invasion of the Body Snatchers. That's a really tough call. Or The Thing? I think that remake is BETTER actually.
Bruce, I don't think it's always about money. Some singers do covers because they like the music, some directors/producers/actors do remakes because the appreciate the original in the same manner. That is how you end up with films like the one's listed above.
We never have a problem with different troops doing a Broadway show or musical, but why not? Or Shakespeare? Everybody likes to take a shot at their interpretation of Shakespeare, and that definately isn't about money based on the success of most of those. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Seth,
Those opening comments in your last post are interesting, but I disagree with just about all of them. Furthermore, both "Thing" movies are great, but the directors behind both films Hawks/Nyby and Carpenter took different approaches in telling their stories, however, both efforts were successfully done. Of course, different film eras had a lot to do with those approaches.

Crawdaddy

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Bruce, I don't think it's always about money
Neither do I. I believe there are people in Hollywood with great intentions and are persuasive enough to get anything made and they do make great remakes. But, this is the era of the sequels, it seems and until someone can convince me that there is artistic reasons behind the making of the The Fast and the Furious sequel or the already planned three (3!) Pitch Black sequels, my feelings hold.
Bruce

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
In response to Seth's remarks about Invasion of the Body Snatcher, I was scared to bits when I watched the remake with Donald Sutherland & Leonard Nimoy. It was not until later that I discovered that this was remake, and when I watched the original later, I was more or less disappointed.
The reverse is true about Vanilla Sky which although very good imo, the original Open Your Eyes is so much better.
Oh well, in the end it is all about personal taste.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Mitty

Supporting Actor
As soon as I saw this thread, before I opened it, I thought, "I bet they'll change the title."
:)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I really wish that Hollywood would heed the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Agreed. Especially when they tamper with films made outside of the Hollywood system like Straw Dogs and the upcoming Dawn of the Dead.

The key to a good remake (which are few and far between) is a talented Director who makes the film his/her own.

Examples of IMO good remakes are: (Already mentioned or just off the top of my head)

Ben-Hur ‘59& The Maltese Falcon ‘41 are both better than the originals.

Capenter's The Thing - Back when Carpenter had talent
htf_images_smilies_smiley_wink.gif

Conenberg's The Fly
Both are as good as the originals.

Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Scorsese's Cape Fear
John Sturges Magnificent Seven
Sergio Leone's Fistful of Dollars
All very good films but not as great as the originals

Unfortunately for every good remake I could name dozens of Average/Unnecessary to downright lousy ones such as Haunting, Godzilla, Psycho, Planet of the Apes, Island of Dr Moreau, Get Carter, House on Haunted Hill, Rollerball, Vanishing, Diabolique, Musketeer, Man in the Iron Mask, Time Machine, Jackal, 3 Musketeers ’93, Point of No Return, Mighty Joe Young, City of Angels, Village of the Damned, Body Snatchers ’93, Mummy’99, Hollow Man, Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein, Getaway, Desperate Hours, DOA, Unfaithfully Yours, Night of the Living Dead ’90, Last Man Standing, Always, Dracula ’79, A Perfect Murder, Phantom of the Opera ’89, King Kong ’76, etc, etc.

As for the boatload of upcoming Hollywood remakes on the horizon:

I’m very interested in Solaris – I’m not as high on Soderberg as others on this board but I do consider him a talented Director.

The Truth About Charlie bothers me. Demme is a great director but casting the zombie-like Mark Wahlberg in the Cary Grant role was a big mistake IMO. :thumbsdown:

I don’t know what to think of Welcome to Collinwood – a remake of the classic Big Deal on Madonna Street.

I have reservations about Red Dragon with Ratner as the Director. It does have a stellar cast though.

Reservations aside I obviously will not pass judgment until I’ve seen the above films for myself.

With these along with many more in the works it looks like Hollywood is entering a major remake period. I’m not totally against remakes (Hollywood has always done it) but I wish the powers that be would devote more time & energy into original works.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Edward Norton in the David Sumner lead. Ok, he is a good actor and can play a computer geek as an update to the mathametician Dustin Hoffman played.
Who to take the part of Susan George? She was a shallow, but cute and big chested, trophy for her husband. David was not into the macho image, but she played on her body and attractivness to any who would pay attention, and had a high sex drive that David could not keep up with. We don't need a great actress, maybe the contrary, but one who is known for her portrayal of women who get by on looks and possibly family position.
Amanda Peet; she has the body, is willing to show it and has that ditzy attitude that would be perfect. Like the part she played in Changing Lanes

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I think Peete would be a fine choice. Natasha Henstridge would also work in that sort of role, but I don't recall any film where she was the ditzy blond. I just think she looks the part.

Bruce

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I just saw this for the first time last week. Ive been wanting to get it and Media Play had it for $12.
I loved it!
A remake is a terrible idea.:thumbsdown:

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>the already planned three (3!) Pitch Black sequels,>Ben-Hur ‘59& The Maltese Falcon ‘41 are both better than the originals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks