What's new

New to satellite, question about basic cable/sat mix (1 Viewer)

Chuck Paskovics

Stunt Coordinator
I've got my satellite hooked up now. I still have basic cable for my local channels. My question: Is there any way to run basic cable through my satellite receiver and view the channels through the receiver? I noticed it has a normal 'coax in' option on the back of the receiver (RCA dolby digital model). It would be nice if you could get the satellite receiver to recognize some of the local channels and view them through the receiver instead of having to flip to another input to view them. Since all the channels below 100 are not used for satellite can you program them somehow by running your cable to that coax input?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I'm not 100% sure, but with my Bell ExpressVu Echostar 2700 reciever, theres an RF input on the back. If you could somehow hook up the cable thru a VCR, or cablebox or something, and have it output at channel 3/4, then you hook it up to the RF/Antenna input on the back. Then you can switch it form TV/Video. But it only works on the Coax OUTPUT on my reciever and not the Composite or Svideo

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
You normally have to have a higher end satellite receiver to do this. My Dish 6000 integrates my OTA (over the air) channels into my regular program guide. It even pulls down programming data from the Dish Network satellite for some of those cahnels! It will do the same for cable channels. Some of the higher end DirecTV boxes will do the same. I believe that the boxes that are capable of doing this are all High Definition capable.

Good luck!

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks