What's new

More Pan & Scan releases on the horizon! (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
What with all the recent releases that have had multiple versions, I was looking at some prerelease lists, and I noticed a plethora of pan & scan titles on the horizon.

Dr. Doolittle 2
Kiss of the Dragon
Office Space
Queen of the Dammed
The Rookie
The Sound of Music? WTF?
Grease
Murder by Numbers
The Scorpion King
E.T.
The Santa Clause
Back to the Future
MIB II

This is an outrage! Who do the studios' think they are catering to? Who do they think is going to buy The Sound of Music in Pan & Scan, if they have not already bought the current one. It's been out for 2 years. Is Wal-mart even going to order these? I hope not. I really think we need to go ahead with the targeted ad Ron was talking about! It's time we ACT now, or it's just going to get worse and worse.

It's all about the education!

Feel free to add more.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Dr. Doolittle 2
Kiss of the Dragon
Office Space
The Sound of Music
All four of these titles have been out for over a year now in widescreen only. I'm sure everybody who wanted to buy these titles have already done. They're just getting re-released in pan and scan (which I'm sure Wal-Mart will carry) while their original widescreen copies will remain getting produced (except for The Sound of Music, which will now be just one disc).
Queen of the Dammed
The Rookie
Grease
Murder by Numbers
The Scorpion King
E.T.
The Santa Clause
Back to the Future
MIB II
All will also be available in widescreen editions, which will probably sell more than their pan and scan editions. I can see the worryiness of such titles like E.T, Back to the Future, and MIB II being in pan and scan (which I honestly wouldn't care if it was released in pan and scan only as it was crap) along with widescreen versions, but the other six titles will probably have their widescreen copies sell more than pan and scan (especially Grease since the pan and scanning on that film is awful).
As long as there is a widescreen version available (why can't everybody be like MGM and put both on the same disc?), I don't care if there is a pan and scan version out there.

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
Can't they put the pan and scan on one side and the widesceen on the other like some dvds have. It might mean that some people who buy it for the pan and scan version could end up watching the widescreen version and seeing the difference. OF course, it would probably be more expensive for those who don't want the pan and scan.:thumbsdown:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Most companies don't want to do flipper discs because A-People like artwork and B-greater risk of disc damage

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
Why does having p&s on one side and widescreen on the other create a greater risk of disc damage?

The only damage done to any of the my double sided p&s/widescreen discs is the toxic symbol I draw on the p&s side with magic marker.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
This is an outrage!
:rolleyes:
Hardly. Give the people what they want. The widescreen jihad can have the widescreen version. The pan&scan people can have the pan&scan version.
As long as both bases are covered, what's the harm?
- Steve

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Apparently, a lot of people here fear thatt, as long as pan-and-scan is available, people will watch it, and its dominance in the market will increase. The people who think this also seem to think eliminating pan-and-scan will lead to worldwide widescreen acceptance. It's not that easy. DVD has had its time as a former-laserdisc-geeks' niche market, but now it's mainstream. And as long as everyone has freedom of choice, it's OK...right? Give them their pan-and-scan, give us our widescreen.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I Prefer seperate versions as long as the WS is made available. Heck who wants compomised bit rates and no extra's . But as soon as it's one version over the other then give me a flipper if necessary. I'm so blown away that people actually want to see films like AOTC, Spiderman and LOTR in P&S.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The trend begins! I hope it does not reach the point where widescreen to pan&scan ratios are similar to what exists today in VHS.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
A little biased wording there, Steve? :)
In this day and age of corporate-desire-for-control run amok (DMCA, RIAA/MPAA legal hacking, time-limit DVD play, etc.) I think the fear of dwindling widescreen opportunities is justified.

DarrenA

Second Unit
The outrage should be when a title is released only in a Pan & Scan version. Since all of the titles listed above are available in widescreen versions as well, what's the problem?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I think I've heard of VHS... I think one of the members here said it stands for "Very Highly Shitty" ;)

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
vote with your wallet.

do not buy any DVD from any studio that releases anything in MAR. whether or not they also release the same titles in OAR is irrelevant.

do not buy any DVD that is released in both MAR and OAR.

the studios foist P&S versions of SW:TPM, SW:AOTC, LOTR:FOTR and yet people buy the WS versions anyway. don't buy -either- and let the studio know why.

and do not view any movies in theaters that are released bny studios that do MAR DVD.

think you can do it?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
the studios foist P&S versions of SW:TPM, SW:AOTC, LOTR:FOTR and yet people buy the WS versions anyway. don't buy -either- and let the studio know why.
Studios read their sales figures, not letters. If the people who want OAR stop buying, then only people who want MAR will be buyers. Therefore, the sales of MAR discs will be 100% of total sales and studios will only release MAR titles. Great strategy!

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks