Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

More Pan & Scan releases on the horizon!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted August 15 2002 - 03:27 AM

What with all the recent releases that have had multiple versions, I was looking at some prerelease lists, and I noticed a plethora of pan & scan titles on the horizon.

Dr. Doolittle 2
Kiss of the Dragon
Office Space
Queen of the Dammed
The Rookie
The Sound of Music? WTF?
Grease
Murder by Numbers
The Scorpion King
E.T.
The Santa Clause
Back to the Future
MIB II

This is an outrage! Who do the studios' think they are catering to? Who do they think is going to buy The Sound of Music in Pan & Scan, if they have not already bought the current one. It's been out for 2 years. Is Wal-mart even going to order these? I hope not. I really think we need to go ahead with the targeted ad Ron was talking about! It's time we ACT now, or it's just going to get worse and worse.

It's all about the education!

Feel free to add more.

#2 of 38 Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor

• 511 posts

Posted August 15 2002 - 03:40 AM

Spider-Man

#3 of 38 Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted August 15 2002 - 03:44 AM

Dr. Doolittle 2
Kiss of the Dragon
Office Space
The Sound of Music

All four of these titles have been out for over a year now in widescreen only. I'm sure everybody who wanted to buy these titles have already done. They're just getting re-released in pan and scan (which I'm sure Wal-Mart will carry) while their original widescreen copies will remain getting produced (except for The Sound of Music, which will now be just one disc).

Queen of the Dammed
The Rookie
Grease
Murder by Numbers
The Scorpion King
E.T.
The Santa Clause
Back to the Future
MIB II

All will also be available in widescreen editions, which will probably sell more than their pan and scan editions. I can see the worryiness of such titles like E.T, Back to the Future, and MIB II being in pan and scan (which I honestly wouldn't care if it was released in pan and scan only as it was crap) along with widescreen versions, but the other six titles will probably have their widescreen copies sell more than pan and scan (especially Grease since the pan and scanning on that film is awful).

As long as there is a widescreen version available (why can't everybody be like MGM and put both on the same disc?), I don't care if there is a pan and scan version out there.

#4 of 38 jacob w k

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted August 15 2002 - 03:47 AM

Can't they put the pan and scan on one side and the widesceen on the other like some dvds have. It might mean that some people who buy it for the pan and scan version could end up watching the widescreen version and seeing the difference. OF course, it would probably be more expensive for those who don't want the pan and scan.Posted Image
My dvds

#5 of 38 LukeB

LukeB

Screenwriter

• 2,179 posts

Posted August 15 2002 - 03:49 AM

Sweet!

Posted Image

#6 of 38 Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted August 15 2002 - 03:51 AM

Quote:
Sweet!

This coming from the man who runs a Disney DVD website and hates Buena Vista P&S only DVD releases just like the rest of us. Posted Image

#7 of 38 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted August 15 2002 - 04:43 AM

Most companies don't want to do flipper discs because A-People like artwork and B-greater risk of disc damage

#8 of 38 Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted August 15 2002 - 05:15 AM

Why does having p&s on one side and widescreen on the other create a greater risk of disc damage?

The only damage done to any of the my double sided p&s/widescreen discs is the toxic symbol I draw on the p&s side with magic marker.
Tom Rhea

#9 of 38 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 15 2002 - 05:45 AM

Quote:
This is an outrage!

Posted Image

Hardly. Give the people what they want. The widescreen jihad can have the widescreen version. The pan&scan people can have the pan&scan version.

As long as both bases are covered, what's the harm?

- Steve

#10 of 38 Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted August 15 2002 - 06:14 AM

Apparently, a lot of people here fear thatt, as long as pan-and-scan is available, people will watch it, and its dominance in the market will increase. The people who think this also seem to think eliminating pan-and-scan will lead to worldwide widescreen acceptance. It's not that easy. DVD has had its time as a former-laserdisc-geeks' niche market, but now it's mainstream. And as long as everyone has freedom of choice, it's OK...right? Give them their pan-and-scan, give us our widescreen.

#11 of 38 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,271 posts

Posted August 15 2002 - 06:19 AM

I Prefer seperate versions as long as the WS is made available. Heck who wants compomised bit rates and no extra's . But as soon as it's one version over the other then give me a flipper if necessary. I'm so blown away that people actually want to see films like AOTC, Spiderman and LOTR in P&S.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#12 of 38 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted August 15 2002 - 06:29 AM

The trend begins! I hope it does not reach the point where widescreen to pan&scan ratios are similar to what exists today in VHS.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#13 of 38 Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor

• 978 posts

Posted August 15 2002 - 06:38 AM

The widescreen jihad can have the widescreen version. The pan&scan people can have the pan&scan version.

A little biased wording there, Steve? Posted Image

In this day and age of corporate-desire-for-control run amok (DMCA, RIAA/MPAA legal hacking, time-limit DVD play, etc.) I think the fear of dwindling widescreen opportunities is justified.

DVDs (24 Feb 2006): Discs - 2579, Titles - 1688 (Avg. 17 Titles/Month) • Films I've Seen: 20052004200320022001

#14 of 38 DarrenA

DarrenA

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted August 15 2002 - 06:46 AM

The outrage should be when a title is released only in a Pan & Scan version. Since all of the titles listed above are available in widescreen versions as well, what's the problem?
Darren Alcorn
The Academy Home Theater, Atlanta Home Theater Group

#15 of 38 John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted August 15 2002 - 06:55 AM

Bleh.

Are people born stupid, or do they have to work at it?
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#16 of 38 Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells

Second Unit

• 449 posts

Posted August 15 2002 - 09:38 AM

Quote:
I hope it does not reach the point where widescreen to pan and scan ratios are silmilar to what exists today in VHS

What is this "VHS" you speak of? Posted Image Posted Image

#17 of 38 Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted August 15 2002 - 09:44 AM

I think I've heard of VHS... I think one of the members here said it stands for "Very Highly Shitty" Posted Image
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#18 of 38 Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter

• 1,063 posts

Posted August 15 2002 - 03:55 PM

vote with your wallet.

do not buy any DVD from any studio that releases anything in MAR. whether or not they also release the same titles in OAR is irrelevant.

do not buy any DVD that is released in both MAR and OAR.

the studios foist P&S versions of SW:TPM, SW:AOTC, LOTR:FOTR and yet people buy the WS versions anyway. don't buy -either- and let the studio know why.

and do not view any movies in theaters that are released bny studios that do MAR DVD.

think you can do it?

#19 of 38 Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted August 15 2002 - 04:01 PM

Quote:
do not buy any DVD from any studio that releases anything in MAR. whether or not they also release the same titles in OAR is irrelevant.

Well, I guess that rules out just about every studio.

Quote:
the studios foist P&S versions of SW:TPM, SW:AOTC, LOTR:FOTR and yet people buy the WS versions anyway. don't buy -either- and let the studio know why.

Studios read their sales figures, not letters. If the people who want OAR stop buying, then only people who want MAR will be buyers. Therefore, the sales of MAR discs will be 100% of total sales and studios will only release MAR titles. Great strategy!

DJ

#20 of 38 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 15 2002 - 04:05 PM

Quote:
think you can do it?

It's called cutting off the nose to spite the face. Very jihad. Not my style.

- Steve

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow