What's new

What discs should buyers avoid? (1 Viewer)

Thik Nongyow

Stunt Coordinator
The video quality of Hollywood movies will vary depending on their authoring and the reputation of the authoring houses. Some movies, regardless of their content quality, will have excellent video transfers, while others have poor video transfers.
Now, since the topic is dealing regarding those discs that have poor video quality or poor video transfers, what discs should buyers avoid?

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
That's a shame too since I like most of the Ernest Goes to and Ernest Saves movies.

Avoid any old Jackie Chan martial arts movies that come two to a pack. Holy moly those are beyond bad...visually.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
That's a shame too since I like most of the Ernest Goes to and Ernest Saves movies.
I think Ed was trashing the quality of the films themselves, not the DVD releases, especially considering that none of those DVDs have been released yet. Of course this is exactly the sort of information that Thik wasn't asking for.

DJ

Chris M

Second Unit
Anything with this symbol on the packaging Link Removed and saying Madacy under it.
oh, and the original Artisan version of Highlander.
Hmm, there are a bunch of "full frame" only DVD releases such as:
Muppet Treasure Island
Snow Dogs
Max Keebles Big Move
Blackbeard's Ghost
Twins
The Karate Kid
The Shadow (DD or DTS)
etc.
Chris.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The video quality of Hollywood movies will vary depending on their authoring and the reputation of the authoring houses.
Video "quality" depends on many other factors, including (but not limited to):
1. Nature of the original photography;
2. Condition of the available film elements;
3. Nature of the playback equipment (delivery medium, quality of playbak device, type of display, proper calibration, etc.)
4. Nature of the viewing conditions;
5. The eye of the beholder.
We've seen many examples of people proclaiming a DVD to be of poor "quality", when in fact it accurately reproduces the look of the film in theaters.
That being said, I can't think of any recent discs from major studios that fairly could be said to have "poor" video quality. (Which isn't to say that I don't have issues with certain transfers.) The vast majority of discs to avoid because of video quality come from the early days of DVD, before 16:9 enhancement became common and when a lot of older transfers were simply being recycled in a new medium. Notorious examples include:
Highlander and Highlander 2
Flash Gordon
The Crying Game
M.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Warning- Madacy has changed their logo! It's still a big M but it's different and doesn't have the disc behind it. I wonder if they know the reputation their company has gotten.
Discs from Brentwood are pretty bad too- some look like they're taken straight from a VHS tape, and I've got one where the all the sound is out of phase!

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I think Outland is technically a very poor disc from any perspective, and it's not from a small outfit (Warners) which makes it all the more annoying.

Adam

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Oklahoma! is unwatchable.
Magical Mystery Tour is the worst transfer--both video and audio--in my entire collection.

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
THE QUIET MAN is absolutely the worst transfer in my whole DVD collection,I've actually kept the video tape for viewing purposes since it doesn't have voices going out of synch.Ironically the "making of" special on the DVD has clips of the film that are lovely to look at,too bad the same person didn't transfer the actual film...

Hopefully the upcoming SE edition will sport a new transfer,there's no excuse for this classic film being treated this badly.

Margo

Agent
Disney's Medicine Man has the honor of being the worst looking video transfer in my collection. Too bad... as it's a very beautiful movie...

Lowell_B

Second Unit
My vote for worst transfer has to go to the Region 1 release of the Once Upon a Time in China series.

Columbia Tri-Star really dropped the ball on these 3 movies. Video is absolutely horrendous, Audio is pretty bad too. Too bad because these would be great with a gorgeous transfer/audio mix.

Lowell

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
My vote goes to The Sound Of Music. The transfer has so much edge enhancement that all the characters look like saints with halos around their heads. I love this movie but it's torture for me to watch. I'm hoping Fox will remaster this film for another improved DVD release someday in my lifetime!

Craig_T

Second Unit
Yea, Universal needs to stop doing Ultimate Editions of recent crap that nobody is asking for and instead do an SE of Double Indemnity. Speaking of Universal, stay the hell away from the Scarface DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks