Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Scratching my head...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Stan_S

Stan_S

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted August 12 2002 - 06:32 AM

Dumb question but I felt it needed to be asked... Why does my new receiver's volume level start in the negative numbers on the display? Why not start from zero??? What's the thinking behind that?

Thanks,
Stan

#2 of 3 ColinM

ColinM

Screenwriter

• 2,057 posts

Posted August 12 2002 - 07:27 AM

0 db (-0) is the loudest the system can play, the maximum value, the reference recorded level. Everything below that is that many decibels below the max, reference, etc.

Kinda...
You call that a knife?

#3 of 3 Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted August 12 2002 - 10:34 AM

Volume scales like you are talking about are known as relative scales. Zero corresponds to the reference level (not necessarily the maximum volume, but most people don't listen that loud) and all the other numbers are relative to that value.

Starting at zero and going up is known as an absolute scale, with 0 being no noise. Some receivers have just one or the other, and some have an option in the setup menu to switch between the two.