Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

need coax (from tv, not receiver) to rca adapter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Tim_Stonesifer

Tim_Stonesifer

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted August 12 2002 - 05:00 AM

First, let me explain the setup I'm trying to make. I'm planning on having a standard indoor antenna plug into a convertor box which goes into my computer. The problem is that my computer only has rca/s-video inputs and I'd rather not buy a tv tuner card. Are there any adapters out there that will convert a television coax signal into rca plugs? Kind of like a reversed rf modulator. Thanks in advance.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   RandyRush

RandyRush

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted August 12 2002 - 05:38 AM

I am currently using several coax cables as RCA connects; my local part supplier (Electrotex.com) has coax/rca connectors that just screw onto the coax connection. very cheap too!

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   GordonL

GordonL

Supporting Actor

• 771 posts

Posted August 12 2002 - 05:49 AM

RadioShack has the coax/RCA adapters for $2.99. However, where on your computer are you trying to connect this to? Do you have some sort of capture card?

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,451 posts

Posted August 12 2002 - 07:39 AM

Is this adapter really going to be good enough? I mean, doesn't the signal need to be demodulated or converted somehow in addition to the connector being made to fit?

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted August 12 2002 - 02:07 PM

Quote:
Are there any adapters out there that will convert a television coax signal into rca plugs?

Converting the cable is one thing, converting the signal is another.

(Note: if you cut an ordinary interconnect, it will look just like your CATV coax. All good interconnects are made with coax, they just have different connectors on the ends.)

Your TV Coax carries "RF" signals. It contains all the different channels your CATV company offers.

As you indicated, you need a "tuner" to decode the RF signals into separate audio & video signals that come out on the RCA jacks.

An inexpensive VCR is probably your cheapest bet. Hit eBay to find a used one.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Tim_Stonesifer

Tim_Stonesifer

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted August 12 2002 - 04:03 PM

I think Bob hit it with converting the signal. I'll probably go with a VCR, but if anyone does have a cheaper solution I'd love to hear it. And Gordon, I am planning on plugging it into a capture card.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted August 13 2002 - 06:59 AM

I would have the agree that the easiest method would be a cheap VCR, especially since you will need a tuner.
The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room