What's new

Best Buy is Crazy! (1 Viewer)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I went to Best Buy yesterday to pick up a second copy of LOTR for my father and decided to check out the HDTV's, my brother-in-law is thinking about getting one. Anyway, they have the Toshiba 57H81 "on clearance" for $2499!!! That's outrageous. I paid less for my 57HX81 8 months ago from a B&M not online.

I also thought it was funny that on top of each RP HDTV they had a sign that said DLP.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
They are generally clueless.

Their price-matching is a joke. The clerk I talked with about price-matching on a HD-RPTV said I needed, essentially, a note from the other retailer giving the price. Thing is, if I'm going to drive to the other retailer to get a note, why wouldn't I just buy from him? The point of price matching is to keep the customer in the store, not to send him back to the competition! Which is why most stores will phone another retailer to verify a price quote when they price match.

Jan

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
The point of price matching is to keep the customer in the store, not to send him back to the competition!
I think alot of retailers have lost sight of this fact. Many retailers use price matching as a way to get you in their store, but then make it such a pain in the @ss that it would have been better to just drive to the lower priced store to begin with!

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I tried price matching a Best Buy deal while at a Circuit City store. They of course called up Best Buy, or at least tried. It turned out that Best Buy blocked all calls from the Circuit City store so they had to use an outside line to reach them. :eek:
I personally don't mind BB that much and do alot of business with them but sometimes these retailers amaze me at their stupidity.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
In general, major retailers like Best Buy, Circuit City, Good Guys, Sears, etc., are not the place to go find information about products! Salespeople in these stores are generally not paid enough to know anything about the products (the DLP signs at my local BB make me chuckle every time I see them also!)
That's why all of us are here! We research online, look for prices at all retailers, online and not, and generally walk into a store knowing more about the piece of gear than everyone except maybe the dude that designed it! :D
-Dennis

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
That's why all of us are here! We research online, look for prices at all retailers, online and not, and generally walk into a store knowing more about the piece of gear than everyone except maybe the dude that designed it!
Exactly. But what I hate is when you go in with all your research and info, and some clueless sales rep tells you you're wrong, that there is no such thing, or outright lies, etc, etc.

I went to BB to buy a computer for my mother-in-law. She just wanted something very basic, entry level since she has never used a computer before. She wanted that one that they had on sale for $799 plus a $400 rebate. The sales rep wanted us to buy a more expensive one, which is understandable - that's his job. But after we said no for the umpteenth time he went and got his manager. Who told us that the computer we wanted ( a celeron processor) wouldn't allow us to go online because it wasn't powerful enough. Can you believe it!?!

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Who told us that the computer we wanted ( a celeron processor) wouldn't allow us to go online because it wasn't powerful enough. Can you believe it!?!
:eek: That's when you opt for the most expensive machine they got, ask for every extended warranty and after they get the ticket almost done, change your mind and walk out.
I just go for the new releases and occasional good deal.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I am another person who goes in there just to purchase DVD's, CD's and sometimes some SACD's. The people there are clueless but I don't blame them, I blame the managers or who ever is above them for not providing any training.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
well i must say ive never understood the idea of price matching

lets see a gurantee that they will beat a price by X% that would make it worth while.

by the way you ever consider reporting that salesman and manager to the better business bureau or something? saying garbage like that is definitely false advertising, and at the least ethically wrong

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
lets see a gurantee that they will beat a price by X% that would make it worth while.
They already have that,10% of the difference. If a TV is $200 cheaper than the competition, Best Buy will give you $220 off. The rub comes as most B&M stores sell products within $50 of each other, mostly when one retailer has it on sale and the other doesn't. Well, people get offended that they get an additional $5 off.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
here's how price matching at BB works I used to be a cashier so I know. First you have to buy it from BB then within 30 days after purchase if you see if cheaper somewhere else bring in your receipt and they will call such and such store but I think the store has to be within either 15 or 25mi driving distance from the store, when they call such store they check price & if you are correct the match price and give 10% off the difference. Stupid part: if you want to match price before you purchase it they wont give you discount, but here's a trick for you people (you guys deserve it) if you see CC has it cheaper then BB go to BB buy it and as soon as you do walk right over to customer service and price match with CC since it's after you bought it they will give 10% off of difference, but if it's only for a dollar difference prolly shoud just leave it alone.

Daniel Smith

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
by the way you ever consider reporting that salesman and manager to the better business bureau or something? saying garbage like that is definitely false advertising, and at the least ethically wrong
I was so shocked and pissed that he would blatantly lie like that, that I didn't even think about it.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Fellas,
I bought my TV from a well known local B&M. They have a two months price gaurantee. When I called them on it (at the 6 week mark) they balked at giving me the difference. CC had the TV marked on the showroom floor for $70 dollars less than the "Best Deal" that I worked out.
My salesdude claimed that because he gave me a promotional deal on my DVD player, he couldn't give me the difference (it was a $70 dollar credit towards any DVD player in the store).
I wouldn't leave the store.
He finally gave in and called CC to find out that I was indeed right about the price :rolleyes. It actually took two calls: one by him - the CC lemming quoted him a price off the computer. A second insistent call by me right in front of him asking said lemming to look on the sales floor at the posted price.
He gave me my money.
Stupid thing is that the $70 was mine - better for him to give it to me right away and make money off me in future purchases (A new Sub purchase comes instantly to mind ;) ). I didn't understand his mentality then and simply do not now. If you have a policy to price match then do it without hesitation!. If someone is trying to yank your chain you'll find out out it right away and they'll be exposed for what they are - saves you the time and trouble of argueing with someone.
I don't even go in there anymore. There are plenty of other places willing to serve me without the hassle.
Michael.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
I bought my Hitachi 43UWX10 at CC, for the same reasons mentioned by others: did my own research, waited for a sale, got the set with free delivery and...was pleasantly surprised to be served by a salesperson who is a home theater fan. I've been able to go back to him to get configuration questions answered & info on when to wait for upcoming sales. Also found a guy in their DVD player dept. who knows his stuff.

My experience at Best Buy was the opposite. The TV salespeople walked around with their heads down & hands in their pockets like they were hoping I wouldn't ask a question. I didn't. I left instead.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I now refuse to buy much more than dvds from there
You should not buy anything from there. After being a former employee at best buy, I refuse to shop there. My immediate supervisor told me to tell people that a Emachines could not be serviced anywhere in the US, and you have to ship it to Korea and it takes over 3 months to get serviced. He told this to people to get them to buy PSPs. After realizing that a non commissioned sales staff has no benefit to tell the truth, or have any knowledge about a product, because they get paid regardless, I will not go to best buy. I have found much better luck at CC, the employees actually want to help you. They may not know more than I do about some things, but at least they will not blatantly lie about something just to sell a 50 dollar cable, because it comes out of their pocket if the customer figures it out. If you dislike the store, but still continue to do business there, then things will never change.

Calvin S

Agent
Just wanted to echo what others have said in the BB versus CC debate. BB is worth shopping for music and movies, and that's definitely it. Typically the CC salepeople are not super knowledgeable, but they are at least helpful. Occasionally you will find someone that knows the stuff pretty well, and that's always a bonus. Also, BB's secret coupon thing drives me nuts. Sometimes we've gotten them, lately we haven't, and not sure why, although we've still shopped there fairly regularly. I guess they just don't want our business any more.

Ali_Jafari

Agent
A Salesmen at the GoodGuys actually had the nerve to tell me that the Sony KV-40XBR700 I was looking at had an internal faroudja line doubler! I was shocked that he would actually look me in the face and lie assuming that I was uninformed and would be impressed at the false information.

Another self proclaimed "High end" store, Magnolia HiFi, is a joke with untrained and unhelpful staff. No surprise though since Best Buy owns them.

Cheers

GeoffL

Auditioning
I just bought a RP-HDTV from CC. BB lost my business when they hounded me about thier stupid protection program.

I constantly said, "No I don't want the program".
They continued to "scare me" about the TV breaking in the future.

I told him that it was off (after he rang everything up).

Hey, it's stupid's BB fault. They shouldn't push thier Protection program so much, or else they would have had a 2K purchase.

I don't buy any large items for BB. DVD, CD, and software. THat's about it.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
My immediate supervisor told me to tell people that a Emachines could not be serviced anywhere in the US, and you have to ship it to Korea and it takes over 3 months to get serviced. He told this to people to get them to buy PSPs.
Exactly! The computer we were buying was an E-Machine. Told me the same crap about getting it serviced.

Andy_A

Second Unit
I agree that Circuit City is a great place to shop. Everyone there tends to know a lot about the product and they're friendly and helpful, which is more than I can say for the other places..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks