Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Best versions of Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness on DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#1 of 65 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,474 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted August 09 2002 - 05:31 PM

I just bought the Book of the Dead edition (minus the elaborate cover...I got the version in a normal amaray) of The Evil Dead, and I really like the movie! I'm ready to see the next two films, but I'm confused to which is the best one out of the countless editions.

Which version of Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness should I buy for best quality?

#2 of 65 OFFLINE   Cary T

Cary T

Screenwriter

• 1,060 posts

Posted August 09 2002 - 05:50 PM

You can find the infomation by doing a simply search, but if don't have time for that...

The keepcase Anchor Bay edition of Evil Dead II
The Director's Cut of Army OF Darkness (aka. Bootleg Edition)

However, if you can find the tin Evil Dead II or the 2-disc limited edition of AoD for a reasonable price Posted Image

#3 of 65 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted August 09 2002 - 06:20 PM

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the actual book that comes with the first film, it's one of the coolest covers of a dvd ever created!

The 'Bootleg edition' of 'AoD' is great and is the preferred way to see the film, however a word of warning though, the video quality is substantially lower than the Anchor Bay theatrical cut of the film. It REALLY does resemble a bootleg sometimes!

The Anchor Bay keepcase edition of 'ED2' is outstanding.

Is this going to be your first time with these films? If so I envy you, I wish I could rediscover these classics like it was my first time again! Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#4 of 65 OFFLINE   Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,573 posts

Posted August 09 2002 - 06:29 PM

Your best bet would be to get the EVIL DEAD II SE from Anchor Bay, and then buy both the AB Bootleg Edition and the AB theatrical edition of ARMY OF DARKNESS. I own the EVIL DEAD II limited edition tin and the ARMY OF DARKNESS limited edition 2 disc set, and I treasure them, but I don't think you can find these awesome LEs for sale anymore, so your best bet would be to do as I said above.

#5 of 65 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted August 10 2002 - 05:11 AM

There is a complete guide to ED releases in the NEWBIE FAQ AND PRIMER. See the link in my sig for the document, the actual entry you want is:

Evil Dead on DVD buyer guide {!GREAT INFO!} by Greg Yurkovic

-V
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#6 of 65 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted August 10 2002 - 03:47 PM

Quote:
I just bought the Book of the Dead edition (minus the elaborate cover...I got the version in a normal amaray) of The Evil Dead

Where did you find a copy of The Book of the Dead edition of the film in a keepcase?

#7 of 65 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,474 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted August 10 2002 - 04:12 PM

Quote:
Where did you find a copy of The Book of the Dead edition of the film in a keepcase?

Wal-Mart.

It is missing the 30 minute "fan" documentary and obviously the extra pages in the book, but it is about 30 bucks cheaper.

#8 of 65 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted August 10 2002 - 04:16 PM

Quote:
It is missing the 30 minute "fan" documentary and obviously the extra pages in the book, but it is about 30 bucks cheaper.

It's not The Book of the Dead edition now is it? It's just the regular Anchor Bay edition (just like the old Elite CE, just with an anamorphic transfer and DD and DTS). You're also missing a 15 minute featurette on the film in the UK.

And if you look hard enough, the Book of the Dead edition is only $15 more than the regular edition.

#9 of 65 OFFLINE   Greg_Y

Greg_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted August 11 2002 - 08:10 AM

The Bruce Campbell Fanalysis documentary is great. One of the few extras I've watched repeatedly on any DVD that I own.

#10 of 65 OFFLINE   Trevor H

Trevor H

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted August 11 2002 - 12:05 PM

I have the Book of the Dead edition, and while I really like the cool packaging and special features I hate that they felt the need to format the movie to 1.85:1, that is why I only watch the Elite version of the movie because it is presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.33:1
What gets me is that here on the HTF we are supposed to be advocates of OAR, when a widescreen movie is released in pan & scan we freak yet when a 1.33:1 movie is "panned & scanned" to fit our widescreen TV's that is alright, well I don't think so.

I have the 2-disc Army of Darkness Ltd Ed and I actually prefer the theatrical version because of the S-Mart ending, which I think is one of the coolest parts of the movie.
Trevor Harder

#11 of 65 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted August 11 2002 - 12:08 PM

Quote:
because it is presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.33:1

And here we go again. The film's original theatrical aspect ratio is 1.66:1. On video, it has always been open matte at 1.33:1. Sam Raimi always wanted the film at 1.85:1 (he just didn't have the money to pay for wider mattes), so when Anchor Bay was planning their special edition of the film, Raimi was too busy with Spiderman so sent in Bruce Campbell to supervise the matting of the film to 1.85:1.

#12 of 65 OFFLINE   Trevor H

Trevor H

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted August 11 2002 - 12:21 PM

Quote:
And here we go again. The film's original theatrical aspect ratio is 1.66:1
So you are saying that the back of my Elite cover that states, "New Digitally Remastered Transfer Personally Supervised By Director Sam Raimi and Presented in its Original Aspect Ratio of 1.33:1" is wrong?

If you need more proof HERE IT IS

Quote:
Sam Raimi always wanted the film at 1.85:1 (he just didn't have the money to pay for wider mattes)
Yeah and Lucas always wanted Greedo to shoot first too Posted Image
Trevor Harder

#13 of 65 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted August 11 2002 - 12:24 PM

Where's Adam to back me up with that Evil Dead Companion of his? Posted Image

#14 of 65 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted August 11 2002 - 12:26 PM

Quote:
So you are saying that the back of my Elite cover that states, "New Digitally Remastered Transfer Personally Supervised By Director Sam Raimi and Presented in its Original Aspect Ratio of 1.33:1" is wrong?

No, it's not wrong; Raimi did indeed supervise that transfer. Elite, however, erred in calling it the OAR. The original theatrical AR was 1.66:1 (as confirmed by "The Evil Dead Companion"). Further, Raimi wanted the film re-framed to 1.78:1 for the Anchor Bay DVD. The fact that Raimi supervised a 1.33:1 transfer for Elite changes neither of these facts.

Quote:
Yeah and Lucas always wanted Greedo to shoot first too

I love people who believe that they know what Lucas wanted better than Lucas himself.

DJ

#15 of 65 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted August 11 2002 - 12:28 PM

As Mr. Chmiel stated... it is well documented that during shooting, Evil Dead was composed for 1.66:1 OAR, then it was recomposed by Mr. Ash (Bruce Campbell) at 1.85:1 with the blessing of Mr. Raimi for the new Anchor Bay DVD. :P)

#16 of 65 OFFLINE   Trevor H

Trevor H

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted August 11 2002 - 12:37 PM

Quote:
it is well documented that during shooting, Evil Dead was composed for 1.66:1 OAR
If that is true then 1.66:1 is what the DVD should have been presented in not 1.85:1

Quote:
I love people who believe that they know what Lucas wanted better than Lucas himself.
I could care less if Greedo shot first or not, I was just using it as an example (and to be a smart-ass) Posted Image
Trevor Harder

#17 of 65 OFFLINE   Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

• 1,711 posts

Posted August 11 2002 - 02:35 PM

It's not The Book of the Dead edition now is it? It's just the regular Anchor Bay edition (just like the old Elite CE, just with an anamorphic transfer and DD and DTS). You're also missing a 15 minute featurette on the film in the UK.

There is a "Book of the Dead" version available in a normal keepcase. It was created mostly for rental chains such as Blockbuster, where I have seen it for rental. It has a totally different cover than the regular book of the dead or the new "green letter" anchor bay cover (or the old clear anchor bays or the elite version). I asked the clerk if I could order that version to buy through Blockbuster and they said yes, $19.99. They also have a special non-limited Highlander Immortal version for rental in a totally new case. Both these new cases are slightly different than any other versions, but resemble slightly the new Anchor Bay regular versions, if that makes sense.

For example this new "book of the dead" case has red lettering and shows Bruce holding a girl and an axe. It also says "new special features" on the box and lists the exact features from the book version. It also has the familiar anchor bay logo on the back. The Highlander is similar to the new Anchor Bay non-limited cover, but instead of just Lambert and the buildings, it shows him and the bad guy. Might be worth checking out at BB incase you wanted to content on these discs but don't want to pay the high prices.

You're also missing a 15 minute featurette on the film in the UK.

And the two great easter eggs (the gory makeup test and interviews). Well worth the money for the book.

#18 of 65 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted August 11 2002 - 02:47 PM

Trevor H said:
Quote:
If that is true then 1.66:1 is what the DVD should have been presented in not 1.85:1
and
Rob Lutter said:
Quote:
, then it was recomposed by Mr. Ash (Bruce Campbell) at 1.85:1 with the blessing of Mr. Raimi for the new Anchor Bay DVD.

:P)

#19 of 65 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted November 22 2002 - 06:35 AM

hey guys -

i just picked up the army of darkness: directors cut at my used dvd store. it's numbered on the back. the cover looks like this:
Posted Image

for 10 bucks i figure i couldn't go wrong. but the packaging is a little frayed around the edges, so i went to best buy and noticed they had the "bootleg" version for about 15 bucks...i think...

so, my obvious question is...is there any difference between the two and is the directors cut (which is numbered...which of course probably means nothing) worth keeping?

#20 of 65 OFFLINE   Greg_Y

Greg_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted November 22 2002 - 06:46 AM

Ted,

I guess you missed the link above:
http://www.hometheat....527#post532527

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow