Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Subwoofer connection length

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Michael_UK

Michael_UK

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted August 08 2002 - 10:03 AM

I am currently using one side of 10 meter RCA cable between my Denon 1802 sub out and the subwoofer in on my plate amp.

This cable is just like the type you would use to connect a CD player to an amplifer.

Is this 10 meter cable ok for my subwoofer connection?

#2 of 8 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted August 08 2002 - 12:26 PM

It’s fine. There may be a some loss due to the length, but the sub’s gain control can compensate for that.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#3 of 8 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted August 08 2002 - 02:02 PM

I have a 40ft cable running to my second sub (which is F-type coaxial with RCA adaptors) and that is fine.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#4 of 8 Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted August 09 2002 - 04:30 AM

(Sorry Wayne, I just have to jump in on this one Posted Image )

There should be almost no loss for a 10 ft cable.

The coax manufacturers roll out 100 feet of coax and brag about how little reduction there is from one end to the other. And they dont even start with frequency below about 50,000 hz. Subwoofer frequencies below 120 hz is a trivial challenge.

And Wayne is correct that if there was any loss, you would just compensate by turning up the volume/gain on the sub a bit.

#5 of 8 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted August 09 2002 - 07:04 AM

Quote:
There should be almost no loss for a 10 ft cable.
Quote:
Is this 10 meter cable ok for my subwoofer connection?
Bob, not to be a nitpicker (but of course I am)Posted Image , but Michael is asking about 31'.

Of course, this is still within the bounds of your point.
¡Time is not my master!

#6 of 8 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted August 09 2002 - 07:08 PM

So long as it is decently shielded.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#7 of 8 Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted August 10 2002 - 04:06 AM

I too am wondering about the potential loss of running a long coax connection to the subwoofer. I recently purchased the VTF-3 and due to "domestic requirements" have to run a cable from the receiver up into the attic and back down again to the sub..where it hides behind a big chair.The length of this run is exactly 80 feet. I have been told to use RG-6 quad shielded cable and terminate the ends with RCA type adapters. How do you all think this will work? HELP!!!!!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain.

#8 of 8 Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted August 10 2002 - 04:07 AM

I too am wondering about the potential loss of running a long coax connection to the subwoofer. I recently purchased the VTF-3 and due to "domestic requirements" have to run a cable from the receiver up into the attic and back down again to the sub..where it hides behind a big chair.The length of this run is exactly 80 feet. I have been told to use RG-6 quad shielded cable and terminate the ends with RCA type adapters. How do you all think this will work? HELP!!!!!

OOps I posted twice...sorry.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain.

Forum Nav Content I Follow