Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Schindler's List DVD - What happened?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted August 07 2002 - 07:02 PM

If I recall correctly, the talk last year was that Schindler's List was an almost definite Fall 2001 release. It never happened, and I haven't heard any news about a release at all. Is this film coming out on DVD any time soon?
"I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts." - Orson Welles

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted August 07 2002 - 07:19 PM

It's 10 years old next year... You work it out. Posted Image

Dan

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted August 07 2002 - 07:36 PM

Ah, yes. I didn't think of that. E.T.'s 20th Anniversary DVD this year, Schindler's List 10th Anniversary next year. Too bad Mr. Spielberg didn't have his affinity for anniversary DVD releases last year for Indiana Jones' 20th anniversary.
"I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts." - Orson Welles

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted August 07 2002 - 07:49 PM

Re: Indy. Indeed, though I would think that's more Lucasfilm's call since, like the Star Wars discs, they'd probably produce much of the Indy DVDs in house. Could have worked for a 21st anniversary release this year too, but alas, not to be.

I also think it is REALLY scary that both Schindler's List and Jurassic Park are nearly ten years old. Seems like yesterday. :-/

I think an autumn/winter 2003 release would suit Schindler's List best. A nice low key theatrical re-issue would be nice to see as I believe it's a film that really should really never be out of theatres.

Dan

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted August 07 2002 - 11:05 PM

Last I heard it will be released around December 2002.
Nothing official though.

Greetz,
"So Dark The Con Of Man"

The Da Vinci Code opening Worldwide on May 19th 2006

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   Craig Cunningham

Craig Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted August 08 2002 - 01:21 AM

I think those studio stiffs put way too much emphasis on anniversary editions... marketing logic drives me crazy! Posted Image

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted August 08 2002 - 05:04 AM

Three movies were supposedly due this year that I am still anxiously awaiting:

Schindler's List, Hamlet (Branaugh) and King Kong (1933).

Maybe 2003 will be a better year.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted August 08 2002 - 05:55 AM

I really, REALLY wanna see this movie but I don't feel like scrounging for a WS VHS. A theatrical re-release (which the Senator would be almost sure to pick up) would be just peachy with me.
"Old theatres are irreplaceable. They could never be duplicated at today's costs - but more importantly, their spirit could not be duplicated because they remind us of a day when going to the show was a more glorious and escapist experience. I think a town's old theatres are the sanctuary of...

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted August 08 2002 - 09:21 AM

King Kong is next year

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts

Posted August 22 2002 - 05:46 AM

I started a new thread on this subject today, not having found this one in my search. Posted Image Why the anniversary logic makes any sense. This year would have been the 60th anniversary of the building of Aushwitz. Should that have any bearing on promoting the education of our young? As someone here has pointed out this logic had nothing to do with the Indy release schedule. I think this subject should be beyond the 'commercial' considerations and I believe the project did not anticipate commercial success anyway. Let's get on with it, while there are still living witnesses to this infamous historical issue...

I'm going to write Spielberg directly about this issue since I know he is sensitive to it (he was in a great hurry to capture my mother's story on tape a few years ago, how about this project?). I do possess the WS VHS copy but do not consider it adaquate for lack of the additional extras that it cries out for...

Joel

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted August 22 2002 - 06:26 AM

To slate the idea of an Anniversary release as downright commerical is somewhat questionlable. Schindler's List is a fine film, one of the finest ever put to screen, and one I truly feel should never be out of cinemas. An anniversary issue is the best way to capture audience attention... If it gets people to see and own the film, thats enough.

Spielberg is indeed sensitive to the issue, and the project does indeed exist without want of commerical success and mass profit. It's for these reasons that I do not doubt or worry over Amblin/Universal/Spielberg's intentions for a future DVD release, nor do I see the consumer as being in any position to suggest they know better than he does regarding the handling of this important film.

I tend to screen my DTS Laserdisc copy of the film a few times every year small audiences, I did so just the other week in fact. The latest viewing was a resounding reminded that the DVD must be done right, and not rushed in any way shape or form. I would love for a future DVD issue to document everything that has come out of the films making since its release...

We should not worry, Joel. We most certainly should not petition in any way and demand the film be put out sooner. There is no doubt in my mind Spielberg knows what he wants to do with any future issue of the film, and I trust his judgement.

Dan

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts

Posted August 22 2002 - 08:04 AM

Dan,

With all due respect (both to you and Spielberg who I admire), this is not about the consumer it should be about the survivors who deserve to see this material while they are still on this earth. Spielberg was in a hurry to capture the experiences of a select group of survivors (by his own admission) and should honor their painful contributions by bringing the material out in a timely maner .

As has been pointed out by Greg, this title was first intended for release last year, then by the end of this year and when I inquired with Bill Hunt, he speculated that Spielberg 'would be too busy with the Indy releases' next year to devote any attention to the matter. If this is indeed the case it sounds like commercial rather than historical considerations are taking precedence. I sure hope this is not so and that your intuition about '03 getting the nod comes to pass.

Joel

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 22 2002 - 08:29 AM

Suggesting that the lack of availability of Schindler's List on DVD is in any way disrespectful to Holocaust survivors is a bit of a stretch. It is readily available on VHS and has not, as far as I am aware, ever been put on moratorium. Getting it out in a new format is not nearly as urgent a need as capturing and documenting first hand accounts of survivors, IMHO.

Also, the more effectively it is marketed upon re-release, the more people will see it.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted August 22 2002 - 08:50 AM

I have to agree with Ken.

Dan

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts

Posted August 22 2002 - 10:15 AM

I should have been clearer. I am referring to the extras that have not yet seen the light of day since they were collected over the last 5-7 years. I agree that the movie by itself can wait for the new format. The proceeds of the movie were used to collect the additional testimonials and archived for future use on the internet. I assume some parts of this material would eventually find their way to the DVD.

Joel

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   MarcinL

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted August 22 2002 - 04:31 PM

Indy movies will propably be out on 25th Anniversary

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   LukeB

LukeB

Screenwriter

• 2,179 posts

Posted August 22 2002 - 04:53 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I only buy movies that are celebrating a 5th, 10th, 15th, etc. anniversary? I was going to get The Godfather last year, but c'mon 30 Year Anniversary? Too good to pass, I waited for 2002! The studios are right on in thinking they'll get more sales if they release it in an Anniversary Year!

Posted Image

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted August 22 2002 - 08:42 PM

Hello all. Schindler's List is my favorite film and I would love to see a DVD release. However, my PCM laserdisc will suffice for the time being. I too also feel that everyone should see this film because if it changed my life, I hope it can change another's. A theatrical run to coincide with a DVD release would be terrific. I'd be first in line for tickets to this one.

AJ Garman
"It's been my lifelong ambition to be a movie usher, and I have failed, as far as I am concerned" - Bob Dylan

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted August 23 2002 - 04:32 AM

Quote:
I should have been clearer. I am referring to the extras that have not yet seen the light of day since they were collected over the last 5-7 years. I agree that the movie by itself can wait for the new format. The proceeds of the movie were used to collect the additional testimonials and archived for future use on the internet. I assume some parts of this material would eventually find their way to the DVD.

Surely there is already material out there with testimonials from the survivors. Spielberg doesn't hold any kind of exclusivity there.

Jeff

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 23 2002 - 04:43 AM

The survivor testimony was being collected for other projects, not a special edition of "Schindler's List". Spielberg founded the "Survivors of the Shoah Visual History Foundation". Without drifting further off of the topic of the DVD, they have a web site at:

http://www.vhf.org/

...if you want to see what it is that they do.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA