What's new

Talk about giving your sub a workout !! (1 Viewer)

JackIR

Stunt Coordinator
I rented Lord of the Rings DVD last night. I swear my house moved off its foundation!! The movie is filled with LFE. It makes Jurassic Park feel tame.

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I know. I bought it yesterday. That part whenthe Wraith is peeking ofer the tree root looking for frodo, the bass was out of control. I had to turn it down becasue my dogs were freaking out. Great stuff. I can't wait to use it as a show-off disc. I just wish it were DTS.
Later

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen the movie yet but I can't wait. I only have a 10" sub at the moment (JBL PB10), but am researching and going to begin a 12" Shiva DIY sonosub. That'll be butt whoopin'. :emoji_thumbsup: :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Tom_Maher

Stunt Coordinator
The LFE track on LotR is unbelievable. One of the few movies that causes my existing Sony to really start distorting when listening up to 20-25 decibles below reference! This DVD has really convinced me to go with the SVS 16-46, so I can be absolutey sure I'll never get the bottoming out like I do with my current Sony (SAW-M40). Not only a great movie, with the LFE track it has, it has become my new demo disc, that is, perhaps until the Special Edition complete with DTS-ES arrives in November!

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
I just ordered a SVS 2039pci yesterday, due in Tuesday next week. I can't WAIT to watch this movie on it. I'm thinking that the November release of the 4-disc version may be a target date for further upgrades! :P

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
That movie has some of the lowest bass I have ever heard. The scenes in the Mines of Moria were amazing. I had to turn it down when the Balrog showed up or the house would have collapsed. The only scene that compares to the bass in this movie is the tank scene at the end of Saving Private Ryan.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
OK, my sub was MOOAAANING(something like that!). The Phantom who? and Jurassic what? This movie is low throughout most of the movie. I listen at -30 on my DA5ES and am happy tpo say that I didn't dare turn my SVS down(Yeah that might not be loud for some of you, but in my room its LOUD:D ). I have a new bass demo now! Can't wait to do that again! :D

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
Okay, we need to get someone to take some measurements and create some charts for this movie! Who is it that's done this in the past? Would love to compare to some of the well known bass movies... TPM, JP, Haunting, THX-EX demo, etc.

ed_jacobson

Auditioning
I have been talking about getting a subwoofer with my family as a way of warming them up to the idea. My wife and 13-year old daughter just roll their eyes and think it's foolish.

My daughter picked up LOTR yesterday and watched half in the afternoon before I got home and half last night. I didn't want to just watch the last half, so I let her watch alone. But I could hear the HT whoopin' it up big time even without a sub from the other room. When my daughter came out, she said "Well, if you ever get a subwoofer, THAT would be the movie to get it for."

I think I'll be getting one soon.

RandyKudor

Stunt Coordinator
Just got LOTR as well.

It should be a great workout for my ascend speakers and hsu VTF-3 subwoofer.

Only problem is when is the next episode coming out? Christmas?? Can't wait that long...

Liam Shan

Grip
My damn windows were rattling like crazy! Sure is a great sub demo, but I think i'll have to reinforce the windows in my room if i'm to watch it again. Best workout my sub has had since I bought it one week ago... good timing for LOTR :)
Liam.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
The lowest bass in the movie (not the loudest) was during the scene where the ring wraiths begin their hunt and ride off on their horses. I watched it at a friends house who owns a 16-46 pci and it serously felt like the entire couch was moving. I have never felt that much movement before from any scene in any bass demo dvd.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
It's right up there with Titan AE. What we need now is a graph of the sonic characteristics of the DVD.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Cooked, huh...

The sound track dose carry nearly steady bass threw the whole movie. I didn't feel that the dynamics were lifeless or lacking as some pointed out, but rather the steady bass growl might be over done pulling you away from the dynamics that I felt, are (in) their. This is a movie where proper bass calibration is a must. No need to push the sub to hot on this one they did it for you in the mastering, wowzer!

Muchoo 30hz stuff and some passages diping well into the low 20's (probey below that) as I glanced here and their at the RTA. 20hz is as far as I can read on my newly aquired Rotel RTA.
As Neil pointed out a good graphing ~(SVS waterfall)~ of this would be interesting to see. The November release, said to carry the DTS track may make for a more dynamic sound...

An excellent bass demo and good enjoyable movie anyway you look at it...
Don't have it yet, go get it!

Regards
Geoff

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree, proper calibration is a must for this one. Bass heavy definitely. I wouldn't necessarily call it overcooked, but it is not one of the best I've heard. Loud yes, but dynamic, not entirely.

The scene where Sauron is defeated has a very interesting cascading bass tone.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Damn it was loud. I can watch the Matrix at 5-8dB under reference with no problem. But I had this at 15dB under reference and it was still extremely loud.

And I did feel the rumble was quite out of place in certain spots. Especially when an action sequence had it cut in and out for no appearant reason. Cave troll battle and Aragon verses the horde at the end come to mind.

I'm sure Tom Vodhanel will get some waterfalls of this up on the SVS site soon.

The movie has me anxious for my new windows that hopefully won't rattle. And renewed my resolve to get some money together for a BFD to fix my 40hz room induced peak.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks