Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

more Ray Harryhausen, now it is Mysterious Island on 29 october

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 09:07 PM

http://www.dvdfile.c....002/08_06.html

More Ray Harryhausen magic is on the way from Columbia on 10/29, with Jules Verne's Mysterious Island. Presented in anamorphic widescreen and English mono, extras include "the Harryhausen Chronicles" documentary, "This is Dynamation" and "The Making of Mysterious Island" featurettes, a still gallery, and trailers. Retail is $27.95.

the cover is on the same page

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 11:28 PM

Finally. I've been waiting for this title since 1998. When Jason & The Argonauts came out in July 98 I figured Mysterious Island couldn't be far behind. Here we are four years later. I'm not going to let the inevitable aspect ratio arguments get in the way of enjoying this release. So Captain Nemo makes his DVD debut at long last. 20,000 Leagues and Underwater City releases would also be most welcomed now...

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,913 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted August 05 2002 - 11:33 PM

What's wrong with Columbia? They had stereo tracks which they didn't use for The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad DVD and now they've done the same thing for Mysterious Island. I don't want to hear Bernard Herrmann's music in mono so I'm not buying this until Columbia issues a stereo version.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Steve Grimes

Steve Grimes

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted August 06 2002 - 12:39 AM

Columbia may not own the stereo tracks, which were prepared by Pioneer for their Special Edition laserdiscs. I dunno, anamorphic enhancement aside, I think I'll be sticking with the LD (it'll show more picture anyway).

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted August 06 2002 - 12:43 AM

I cannot wait for this disc. This was one of my childhood favorites and I haven't seen it for 10+ years.

#6 of 14 ONLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,538 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted August 06 2002 - 02:07 AM

Yes! Another Harryhausen classic for my dvd collection, and one of his best.
Bernard Herrmann's music score is superb.Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,941 posts

Posted August 06 2002 - 02:12 AM

I mixed seventh Voyage of sinbad and Mysterious Island in stereo for Columbia and Pioneer. Colubia owns the stereo tracks for both films. They should put it and the original mono on the dVD.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Jonathan.e

Jonathan.e

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted August 06 2002 - 02:58 AM

What's wrong with Columbia? They had stereo tracks which they didn't use for The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad DVD and now they've done the same thing for Mysterious Island.

Don’t forget the aspect ratio foul-up on the R1 3 Worlds of Gulliver. Posted Image

Looks like my Mysterious Island LD will not be finding it’s way to EBay any time soon.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted August 06 2002 - 03:21 AM

IMDB.com lists the aspect ratio as 1.37:1. This is certainly debatable (as its been debated here many times), but if Columbia would get their heads out of their asses and give us both versions, everyone would be happy.

The Harryhausen Chronicles and This is Dynamation are on almost every Harryhausen disc... I think I own these docs on 6 or 7 dvds! Posted Image

I just don't get it.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted August 06 2002 - 03:49 AM

gotta agree absolutely mind boggling to include it on every single dvd that has been released so far.

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted August 06 2002 - 03:56 AM

This is turning out to be a helluva year for vintage Sci-Fi/Horror/Fantasy film buffs like myself. Posted Image
All the Harryhausen titles, Vintage Hammer Horror, THEM!, Night/Curse of the Demon, etc.

All I can say about this release is this:

Posted Image
Death before Streaming!

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,913 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted August 07 2002 - 07:11 PM

[quote] I mixed seventh Voyage of sinbad and Mysterious Island in stereo for Columbia and Pioneer. Columbia owns the stereo tracks for both films [quote]
Seventh Voyage of Sinbad has also been on TV in stereo so there's no reason why Columbia could not have included stereo tracks on the DVDs.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,941 posts

Posted August 08 2002 - 07:42 AM

The Aspect ratios on the Harryhausen films are problematic. Some sot are shot in 1:66 - some 1:37, aome 1:85 depending on which camera they were using that day!

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   John Koehler

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted August 08 2002 - 08:22 AM

I'm keepin' my Caps LD on this one. The Herrmann score is so awesome it deserves the respect (stereo) given it on the Pioneer LD.
JohnnyK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users