Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"Mission Control To Lost DVD, Come In, Over" - Release "The High And The Mighty"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted August 04 2002 - 11:27 PM

Am I the only one who still weeps over the persistant non-appearance of William Wellman's legendary 1954 air-disaster epic starring Duke Wayne, The High And The Mighty? Owned by Batjac Films, which is owned by Duke's son, Michael. Warner distributed the film back in the good ol' days, but Wayne has refused on, I think three occassions to let Warner restore the film for theatrical re-release and DVD.

Robert Harris - are you there!? Posted Image Do you, sir, know the status of this mythical film? The neg is at Batjac (I think) but where are the other prints? Filmed in 2.55:1 CinemaScope and processed in WarnerColor. Faded? I would imagine so. Posted Image Salmon-red image? No! Posted Image Thanks in advance.

Thanks for reading, folks.

Gordo

#2 of 5 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 05 2002 - 02:18 AM

This was discussed several months ago in a John Wayne thread (not archived). I believe RAH stated that the Wayne family were doing their due diligence on the properties they owned inclusive of the Batjac films and also the Wayne-Fellows productions such as "The High and the Mighty". "The High and the Mighty" has been out of circulation for a long time. It's possible that it has never been on video - allegedly due to legal disputes. It certainly has not been seen much in the last 20+ years.

I've heard that it was royalty disputes with Robert Stack. I've heard that it was between the Wayne family and Warner Brothers. I have no idea what the real reason is.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#3 of 5 SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 03:17 AM

I haven't seen The High and the Mighty but I'd like to, so....release it! Please?

Gordon, welcome to the forum. You look like you'll fit right in! Posted Image

#4 of 5 Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 04:58 AM

I'd also like to see a letterboxed version of McKlintok! as well as The High and the Mighty.
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado

#5 of 5 Harry W

Harry W

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 10:43 AM

I've been waiting on this release since the released Mclintock and Hondo on video.Also Islands in the Sky.I 've got the Wayne Estate releases of Mc/Hondo and also the 3D version of Hondo thet showed on tv.I would love there version of Mclintock(not the Goodtimes version)and would be more than happy to sign any petion for it.Give me the Duke! Posted Image
THE HAMMOCK MAN!