What's new

Ok I give up what the hell is a cthulhu? [spelling corrected by admin out of fear] (1 Viewer)

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Ive seen this pop up on the forum a few times.What is it?Its driving me nuts wondering whats so funny about this?Please help me understand!

Luis S

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
Cthulhu is the creation of writer Howard Phillips Lovecraft. Try doing a "Google" search or, better still, solicit information from the HTF's resident expert, Julie K. I'm guessing what she doesn't know about Lovecraft probably ain't worth knowing.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Luis S wrote:
The undersea-dwelling, octopoidal central figure of a "mythos", a whole Lovecraft-concocted mythology, and member of the "pantheon" of alien beings (The Old Ones---actually he's only a "cousin") that originates from outside of our dimension. They once ruled the Earth, but were banished (by their opponents (Nodens and company). However, they constantly threaten to break through from outside of known space---most of them dwell between the spaces---and re-establish dominion over the Earth. They usually either (a) devour people outright or (b) have "obscene relations" with them, which often results in horrific hybrid offspring. (It's horror fantasy. Go figure.)
In Lovecraftian parlance (please note the correct spelling), the name rhymes (sort of) with "toodle-loo".
The signature story you should read is, of course, "The Call of Cthulhu".

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Wow,I dont wanna offend anybody.But after following the links you guys provided and reading into it, that has to be the corniest damn creation ever!:eek: I mean really,head of an octopuss,scaly skin,an appearance that drives people mad?With laughter maybe.Is this thing a popular book?I even found some "official cults" For this thing! I was wondering what this thing was cause of all the references Ive seen on the internet.I must say this is as silly as that whole "all your base are belong to us" thing from way back.Have to admit though it would probably make for a fun sci-fi B movie!:D Has there been one made?Thanks for your help everybody this "Cthulhu" was driving me insane!;)

Julie K

Screenwriter
The actual sound – as nearly as human organs could imitate it or human letters record it – may be taken as something like Khlûl’-hloo, with the first syllable pronounced gutturally and very thickly. The u is about like that in full; and the first syllable is not unlike klul in sound, since the h represents the guttural thickness. The second syllable is not very well rendered – the l sound being unrepresented. (to Duane Rimel, 23 July 1934)
However, he did write others with differing pronounciations and was heard to say "Koot-u-lew" by a friend. In any event, the name was never meant to be said by a human mouth.
As for the scary/silly question: well, no, it's not 'all your base are belong to us'. There are quite a few people who have a lot of fun with it (I guess your school didn't have a Campus Crusade for Cthulhu? What a pity.) but HP Lovecraft wrote straight horror without a drop of humor in it. The horror lies not in Cthulhu's (or Yog-Sothoth's or any of the others) appearance, but in what they represent. They represent a blind, meaningless universe in which the cares and concerns of humankind mean nothing. If Lovecraft's works don't resonate with you, that's fine. Most people don't care for his writings. But to say they are 'silly' based on just a description of one creature is missing the point completely.
Here is where one can read the story where Cthulhu makes his first appearance. The opening paragraph pretty much sums up Lovecraft's vision of horror:
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
I suppose you either "get it" or you don't. Frankly, I feel sorry for those who don't. :)

Julie K

Screenwriter
One can hardly go any distance these days without finding Cthulhu in an online comic strip. One of my favorites is the User Friendly strip where Cthulhu is a semi-regular character. He makes his first appearance here and wrestles with the question of plush doll versions of himself here and here.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Favorite t-shirts seen:
"Cthulhu Brand Tequila: This time, the worm eats YOU"
"Vote Cthulhu: Why settle for the lesser evil?"
:laugh:

Tony_Woods

Stunt Coordinator
I love Lovecrafts works! I'm reading Lurker at the Threshold for the 3rd time currently lol. Anyone know much information about the link to the Metallica song, Call of The Ktulu? I heard it was inspired by the book, but spelled differently due to copyright reasons. Also, anyone seen the movie "Cthulu Mansion"? Not bad, but pretty low budget.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Anyone know much information about the link to the Metallica song, Call of The Ktulu?
I don't know why they spelled it that way, but 'Cthulhu' isn't copyrighted.

It's a decent enough song, but I think Cthulhu Dawn by Cradle of Filth is quite a bit better. But for all out Lovecraft songs, you can't go wrong with Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, especially their Cthulhu Dreams.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
The name of the song is "Call of Ktulu". Not "Call of the Ktulu".
In my opinion, the greatest song from Metallica-of-old.

TimDoss

Second Unit
The Thing That Should Not Be is another Metallica song
inspired by Lovecraft/Chtulu.

Messenger of fear in sight
Dark deception kills the light

Hybrid children watch the sea
Pray for Father, roaming free

Fearless wretch
insanity
He watches
lurking beneath the sea
great Old One
forbidden site
He searches
Hunter of the shadows is rising
immortal
in madness You dwell

Crawling chaos, underground
cult has summoned, twisted sound

Out from ruins once possessed
fallen city, living death

Fearless wretch
insanity
He watches
lurking beneath the sea
Timeless sleep
has been upset
He awakens
Hunter of the shadows is rising
immortal
in madness You dwell

Not dead which eternal lie
stranger eons Death may die

Drain you of your sanity
face The Thing That Should Not Be

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
For what it's worth, the recent film Dagon was a pretty damned entertaining rendition of 'The Shadow Over Innsmouth', even if the title was a bit misleading.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Yes, I really enjoyed Dagon. It's the best Lovecraft adaptation yet and a damn fine horror movie as well.
BTW, here's a large list of Cthulhu/Lovecraft related songs and bands. The site, hplovecraft.com is a great resource for all things Lovecraftian.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Hey Julie,spoken like a true fan!:D I figured I might get a response like that from someone,but like I said I didnt mean to offend any fans.I'm not trying to put down all his writing,but to me this one is just plain silly.If your going to write about something that "represents a blind, meaningless universe in which the cares and concerns of humankind mean nothing." For crying out loud give me something that doesnt look like it came from a bad sea monster movie :laugh: If you like it fine,but I was unimpressed after reading about it,but there were a few things that did catch my interest.Although I feel this way I'd be glad if someone could give recomendations on his other works that might interest me.Sorry if my comments bothered you Julie but you know what they say about opinions ;) (Oh and for the record my school would have been lucky to have a decent art program let alone a "Campus Crusade for Cthulhu" :frowning: unfortunate I know )
Thanks for replying everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks