What's new

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Title: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Tagline: From the smallest beginnings come the greatest legends.

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Action

Director: Peter Jackson

Cast: Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, James Nesbitt, Ken Stott, Sylvester McCoy, Barry Humphries, Cate Blanchett, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, Elijah Wood, Andy Serkis, Aidan Turner, Dean O'Gorman, Graham McTavish, Adam Brown, Peter Hambleton, John Callen, Mark Hadlow, Jed Brophy, William Kircher, Stephen Hunter, Lee Pace, Benedict Cumberbatch, Manu Bennett, Conan Stevens, Jeffrey Thomas, Michael Mizrahi, John Rawls, Stephen Ure, Luke Evans, Dan Hennah, Stephen Gledhill, Tim Gordon, Sonia Forbes Adam, Oscar Strik, Timothy Bartlett, Erin Banks, Brian Hotter, Eric Vespe, Mervyn Smith, Bret McKenzie, Kiran Shah, Glenn Boswell, Thomas Robins, Ruby Acevedo, Katie Jackson, Isaac Miller, Ella Olssen, Louis Ashbourne Serkis, Ruby Ashbourne Serkis, Sonny Ashbourne Serkis, Peter Jackson, Terry Notary

Release: 2012-11-26

Runtime: 169

Plot: Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit enjoying his quiet life, is swept into an epic quest by Gandalf the Grey and thirteen dwarves who seek to reclaim their mountain home from Smaug, the dragon.

What does everyone think the chances of Peter Jackson eventually doing the Hobbit are? I know he has other movies he want's to work on after the trilogy, but man, I would love to someday have the Hobbit to go with the LOTR. It would just feel so much more complete.:) Is it just wishfull thinking?

Anthony_D

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that New Line or Peter Jackson wanted to make The Hobbit but the project instead turned into Lord of the Rings.

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be willing to bet that there is a close to 100% chance that within 5-8 years Jackson WILL film The Hobbit.

JOn

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I hope so, because that one brief scene in FotR of Ian Holm as a younger Bilbo in Gollum's cave was great. It nailed the scene dead on and was the first indicator to me that Jackson had "hit the bullseye"..

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm pretty certain that a live action film of The Hobbit WILL be made. But when and by whom is a bit more unclear.

With the commercial success of just the first installment of The Lord of the Rings, we'd have to be crazy to think that no one will be interested in making this movie. I'd say it's a given.

As I understand it, there are legal issues about the rights. I believe New Line has the rights to the film, as far as making it. However, I think United Artists holds the distribution rights (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here). So this still needs to be sorted out.

I've heard that Peter Jackson has said that he didn't want to make it, but people do change their minds. After he's finished with the trilogy and the Extended Edition of Return of the King (let's hope we get this) and has had a chance to work on something different for a year or so, hopefully he'd more more open to the idea of doing it.

I've heard that Ian McKellen has said that he wouldn't want to return to the role of Gandalf,, but he has recently said that he'd be open to the possibility. So who knows exactly what will happen. But I'd bet there are people at New Line already trying to make this happen.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
As the geeks all know, Jackson was working on King Kong before switching to pre-production on LOTR. To put people off the scent, he told collaborators (such as Weta Workshop) that he was preparing the Hobbitt. A few weeks into pre-production the designers learned that they were, in fact, working on the a LOTR film. (At that point, LOTR was to be two 3hr movies backed by Miramax.)

Apart from how PJ feels about remaining in Middle Earth after having spent nearly 9 years (from inception to ROTK DVD) working on LOTR, there is the problem of acquiring the rights to The Hobbitt. I'm sure New Line would be keen to produce it, with or without PJ, but so far they have been unable to secure the rights (from Buena Vista/Disney, I think.)

If anyone does the Hobbit, I pray that it's Jackson. I don't trust anyone else with this material, and it would tie in so well with LOTR.

Doesn't look likely anytime soon but I guess we can always hope - I never thought anyone would direct a satisfactory live action LOTR film in my lifetime. How great to be proven wrong.

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
The Hobbit without Peter Jackson and Ian McKellen would not be The Hobbit. I think the only way to make the prequel work is to have both back.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I think there are other filmmakers that could make The Hobbit. It might seem different than what Jackson did. But there are other filmmakers out there that are as good, and even better than Jackson. I think Spielberg could make a damn good Hobbit film.

But if Buena Vista owns the rights to THe Hobbit, all I can say is good luck to New Line with getting the rights. Because it probably won't happen now that LOTR is a success. Buena Vista will probably keep those rights. Are we sure that is who own the film rights?

Kami

Screenwriter
I disagree wholeheartedly. :) Don't get me wrong, I love Spielberg (loved A.I. and Minority Report! Jaws and CE3K among my all-time favorites), but his style isn't suited to fantasy such as this.
Jackson achieved the perfect balance of fantasy and realism, which is why Middle-earth is so freaking believeable in FOTR. He accomplished the impossible in my eyes, a long-time fan of the books.
I'm sure many directors are capable of bringing The Hobbit to the big screen, but none will achieve that perfect look and feel the PJ has given us of Middle-earth. I can't imagine anyone else making a Tolkien inspired movie now, but I would of course give it a chance, no matter who made it.
I know Peter's heart is pretty much set on King Kong, but I would kill to have him do the Hobbit! And while he's at it, some tales from the Simarillion....sigh....a guy can dream can't he? ;)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I agree with Terrell here. Whilst Peter Jackson would be great, and to get Ian Holm and Ian McKellen to replay their roles would tie in nicely with the LOTR trilogy, I think other filmmakers could make a great film of The Hobbit, and, from what I can recall, it is tonally different from LOTR anyway.

Brandt

Stunt Coordinator
I thought I had heard from several other HTF members that the rights belonged to Paramount.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
but none will achieve that perfect look and feel the PJ has given us of Middle-earth.
Well, a lot of that has to do with the fact that you saw Jackson do it first, and you loved the results. Let's just say for argument's sake that Spielberg did do FOTR instead of Jackson, and you loved it just as much. You'd be saying the same thing. Nothing wrong with that. It doesn't have to be Spielberg. I just threw that name out there.

As for the rights, whichever studio has the rights, probably isn't going to give them up now. That is unless New Line forks over an insane amount of money.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I'm sure many directors are capable of bringing The Hobbit to the big screen, but none will achieve that perfect

look and feel the PJ has given us of Middle-earth.
I would tend to agree. I think PJ was exactly the right filmmaker, at exactly the right time, with exactly the right resources and collaborators, to make just about the best possible version of LOTR (judging by part one, anyway). Any other director for this material would seem to be a step down at this point, and I don't care who you name.

That said, I greatly doubt that PJ will be the man who eventually directs a live-action Hobbit, although it would certainly be nice if the inevitable film could share some elements with the current films - designs, locations, perhaps some cast members. Perhaps some enterprising, up-and-coming second unit director on LOTR could make it his or her directorial debut, with PJ as a producer.

--Jefferson Morris (still awaiting his damn FOTR dvd)

Kami

Screenwriter
I am pretty sure New Line does hold the rights now. AFAIK, they bought it so another studio wouldn't cash in on LOTR's success and make a totally mediocre movie just for the sake of making money.
I would hope PJ would at least be a producer. I just want them to keep the style/look of Middle-earth they've created. Use the same Hobbiton and Rivendell for one...they are too damn good already. Maybe they could try to be as consistent as possible with the cast as well, though that may be hard.
Hobbit is a different style of story, so they'll need to approach it differently than LOTR and maybe be more light-hearted or frivalous with the whole thing, but pleeeeeaaaase keep the current designs of the Shire and Rivendell :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't want PJ to make it because I don't want him to become another George Lucas. There are people out there who only know Lucas for the Star Wars movies, and he seems to enjoy that very much. I want PJ to finish the LotR movies and then move on to make some fresh, new movies.

I think he should definitely have something to do with the movie, but I don't want his talent to be put solely on one film series.

Brian E

Screenwriter
While I would like to see it made I don't think PJ necessarily has to direct it. The Hobbit has a different feel than LOTR I think another director could handle it quite well. I might be nice if PJ was involved in some way and I would like to see Ian Holm and Ian McKellen reprise their characters otherwise I think many people would have a hard time with it. Think if Harrison Ford had been replaced by Tom Selleck in ROTJ.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well, Lucas had made many more films than just Star Wars. Indiana Jones, Willow, THX1138, American Graffiti, etc. There's far worse things to be known for than Star Wars. But that's another discussion for another thread.

Have we decided who owns the rights yet? I think we've got 3-4 different studios mentioned.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I don't know for sure Terrell but I was under the same impression Sean was in that New Line has the rights to the film, but United Artists had the rights for distribution.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks