Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Hobbit (merged thread)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1638 replies to this topic

#1601 of 1639 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,648 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 12 2013 - 09:27 AM

I'm over my disappointment in Jackson's decisions regarding The Hobbit.  I thought the first film suffered from bloatiness, and I'm sure this film will suffer as well.  But, I'm dropping my expectations and just preparing to have fun with what we have!

At least Smaug looks ridiculously scary!  Is Cumberbatch doing Smaug's voice?  I see his name on the credits, and I was wondering.

#1602 of 1639 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,214 posts

Posted June 12 2013 - 10:06 AM

I'm over my disappointment in Jackson's decisions regarding The Hobbit.  I thought the first film suffered from bloatiness, and I'm sure this film will suffer as well.  But, I'm dropping my expectations and just preparing to have fun with what we have!

At least Smaug looks ridiculously scary!  Is Cumberbatch doing Smaug's voice?  I see his name on the credits, and I was wondering.

Now all we need is Thorin to yell "Khaaaaaaaaan!" when he sees the dragon. ;)

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#1603 of 1639 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,648 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 12 2013 - 10:07 AM

Now all we need is Thorin to yell "Khaaaaaaaaan!" when he sees the dragon. ;)

Don't go there!!!

#1604 of 1639 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,809 posts

Posted June 12 2013 - 08:10 PM

After seeing that teaser...,this is certainly not your fathers Hobbit. Peter Jackson taking "based on Tolkien's The Hobbit" very very loosely.

#1605 of 1639 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,166 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 13 2013 - 04:41 AM

Yes, he is.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#1606 of 1639 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,214 posts

Posted June 13 2013 - 04:41 PM

After seeing that teaser...,this is certainly not your fathers Hobbit. Peter Jackson taking "based on Tolkien's The Hobbit" very very loosely.

Yeah not to repeat myself too much from earlier in this thread, but I've basically started viewing this as not a Hobbit adaptation, but more of a Lord of the Rings Prequel featuring events from the Hobbit and other ancillary Tolkien material, with a sprinkling of some s#$t that Jackson & Co. just plain made up. That's how I can derive a bit of enjoyment out of the movies, which otherwise would be a *horrible* adaptation of The Hobbit, or There and Back Again.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#1607 of 1639 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,995 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted June 13 2013 - 07:55 PM

Yeah not to repeat myself too much from earlier in this thread, but I've basically started viewing this as not a Hobbit adaptation, but more of a Lord of the Rings Prequel featuring events from the Hobbit and other ancillary Tolkien material, with a sprinkling of some s#$t that Jackson & Co. just plain made up.

That seems like pretty much the way Jackson & Co described the films during production. I don't think they ever tried to claim otherwise.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#1608 of 1639 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 3,112 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 07:53 AM

Warner Brothers has officially announced the release of the extended edition for November 5th. http://www.theonerin...cing-announced/image.jpg It's 13 minutes longer. I think the theatrical version would have benefited from more streamlining and less padding. However, I also think it could have used more Bilbo stuff, and I'm hoping this directs more focus toward him. I know that the scene with Bilbo and Elrond in Rivendell will be added.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#1609 of 1639 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,985 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 08:10 AM

We announced it this morning as well...

http://www.hometheat...dition-blu-ray/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#1610 of 1639 OFFLINE   Emanuel1

Emanuel1

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted September 01 2013 - 11:21 PM

What are the items that the main characters used during the journey in the book the hobbit?

#1611 of 1639 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 3,112 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 07:58 AM

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by "items"?
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#1612 of 1639 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,635 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 09:02 AM

That being said, I really disliked The Hobbit....

...and I was reminded as to how much dislike I had for it when I finally

sat and watched the 3D Blu-ray this past weekend.

There are two major problems with the film as far as I am concerned.

The first problem is that it's more of the same of what we have seen

already.  Best way to describe the experience is...been there, done that.

The second problem is the greed involved in expanding this book out to 

three films.  It was unnecessary to do.  As a result, The Hobbit took too

much time to tell its story.  In fact, I found it a complete bore to sit through.

I am hoping that the next two installments that follow will be better paced.

Hard to imagine having to sit and watch an extended version of what has

already been released --- and this is coming from someone that prefers the

longer editions of The Lord of The Rings.

Watching the trailer reminded me how gorgeous Jackson's creations can be to simply look at.  It's too bad those gorgeous visuals don't serve a non-bloated, non-redundant story.  I wonder if someday, someone will do a fan edit that actually tells the story of Tolkien's The Hobbit.

So what happened to the much-ballyhooed 48 fps process used for the first movie?  Online articles make no mention of it.  Can we assume that audiences simply didn't go for it?

#1613 of 1639 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,853 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:39 AM

That seems like pretty much the way Jackson & Co described the films during production. I don't think they ever tried to claim otherwise.

Then why call it THE HOBBIT and not THE LORD OF THE RINGS:The Prequel?

Anyway, the decision to bloat this story for financial gain was made and there is nothing that can be done about it, other than to not see the films. Might was well go along for the ride. Smaug looks seriously badass in the film, so sitting through Jackson's bloated storytelling will be worth it just to see him.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#1614 of 1639 OFFLINE   Emanuel1

Emanuel1

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 12:02 AM

What are the items that the main characters used during the journey in the book the hobbit?

#1615 of 1639 OFFLINE   Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter

• 1,277 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 03:24 AM

I sure don't understand the whining about greed, making the Hobbit into three movies is just greed.  What nonsense, this is a for profit business and that is a business decision or artistic decision, I don't care.  I don't know whether taking three films to tell the story is necessary or will be more profitable than one or two, but I do know it is a business decision made by companies that are for profit businesses.  Even if I had read The Hobbit and had my idea of how the story should be presented on film, I would defer to Jackson and the others involved with these films, they know what they are doing, I don't and neither does anybody whining about their decisions here.

If three films are too much, don't go to the theater or don't buy the home video releases and if the market for these films agrees with that position, profits won't meet expectations or losses will be the result. Nobody is being forced to spend a penny on The Hobbit, this isn't a situation where greed can force someone to spend money on something, resulting in excessive profits.  If this business decision pays off, people choose to spend their money, my hat's off to the filmmakers, they must have provided a quality product at a fair price.  My guess is that the films will be a success and will result in an acceptable return on investment but we will know that answer in a couple of years.

If some small group wants to whine about greed, I hope they also walk into the grocery store and point at items on the shelf and claim greed, everything in the store is provided by a company hoping to make a profit on the sale, including Newman's Own where the profits are used for charitable purposes.  A grocery store is actually a place where greed could force people to spend more money than necessary, unlike watching movies, we have to eat to survive.  Competition prevents that in most countries, with adequate choices and food supplies so that doesn't happen.  There is no place in the universe where greed forces people to spend their money on entertainment choices.

#1616 of 1639 OFFLINE   Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm

Second Unit

• 499 posts
  • LocationStockholm, SWEDEN

Posted September 04 2013 - 09:30 AM

I'm not whining about greed, PJ and his companies are free to try to make all the money they want in the best way they see fit, but I'm sad about certain artistic decisions, ie. making this book into three quite long movies. I'm sad because I think they would have been better as two, but I actually also think they could have made more money that way, Two Hobbit movies plus one other movie could have made more (or at least cost less, ie. been more profitable) than three Hobbit movies will, but I may be wrong of course...

Personaly, loving the universe, and the LotR movies, I saw the first Hobbit not theatrically (unlike LotR), but on blu rental, and I will not buy it, or the extended edition. I might see part two in a theater, time permitting, else on blu, and based on that, I'll decide whether the third is worth the effort at all.

That was not the case when the LotR movies came, then I saw them opening week, bought the extended DVD on release date, and waited eagerly for the next.

'But you must do what you feel is right, of course.' ;)

/Mikael

- "Do you indulge in any form of worship?"
-"Life. I love life, very much indeed."
David Bowie interviewed by Russell Harty, 1973

#1617 of 1639 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,071 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 04 2013 - 10:01 AM

So what happened to the much-ballyhooed 48 fps process used for the first movie?  Online articles make no mention of it.  Can we assume that audiences simply didn't go for it?

I sure did. It vastly improved the 3D effects.

FWIW, if I want to see a film of just The Hobbit, there's a perfectly good one out there, and it's all of 75 minutes long. :)

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#1618 of 1639 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,635 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 02:04 PM

I sure did.

That's nice, but it says nothing about how audiences in general reacted. We know that New Coke and the Edsel were failures regardless of the fact that some people bought them.

#1619 of 1639 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,740 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 04 2013 - 06:42 PM

Hobbit 2 & 3 and the Avatar sequels will all be 48fps.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#1620 of 1639 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,807 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 09:20 PM

Are there more theaters equipped for 48fps now than last year?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users