Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Hobbit (merged thread)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1638 replies to this topic

#1581 of 1639 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,630 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 01 2013 - 05:08 AM

I think that's a better decision. I never understood why they wanted to rush out the third film. These films seem better suited to a holiday release, than summer IMO. Release windows of less than a year between sequels generally always result in perceived box office disappointment for the third film (see Back to the Future III, The Matrix Revolutions, and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, all of which were considered to have under-performed compared to the prior release).
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#1582 of 1639 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 01 2013 - 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Malcolm R 

I think that's a better decision. I never understood why they wanted to rush out the third film. These films seem better suited to a holiday release, than summer IMO.

Release windows of less than a year between sequels generally always result in perceived box office disappointment for the third film (see Back to the Future III, The Matrix Revolutions, and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, all of which were considered to have under-performed compared to the prior release).

Not that it matters THAT much, but all of those examples under performed because the anticipated 2nd film before it was underwhelming due to the much earlier first film. In other words, I think the quality drop for part 2's are more to blame for box office downturns for those than the 6 month between release window.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#1583 of 1639 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,630 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 01 2013 - 07:08 AM

Possible, though one would think word of mouth would have dampened the grosses of the 2nd films. The Matrix Reloaded made about $278M and POTC: Dead Man's Chest $425M domestic. Those seem like pretty high totals if the audience was disappointed in the quality of those films.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#1584 of 1639 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,281 posts

Posted March 04 2013 - 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Malcolm R 

Possible, though one would think word of mouth would have dampened the grosses of the 2nd films. The Matrix Reloaded made about $278M and POTC: Dead Man's Chest $425M domestic. Those seem like pretty high totals if the audience was disappointed in the quality of those films.

Those numbers are a reflection of people's enjoyment of the previous film. That's the reality with box office so front-loaded in today's market.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#1585 of 1639 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,990 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted March 04 2013 - 10:07 AM

I don't totally buy that, Brandon. Though I acknowledge your point. For example, The Dark Knight is both the highest grossing and most popular of the Nolan Batman films. Rises didn't gross more than TDK due to TDK's popularity. And there is absolutely a burnout factor. BTTF3 is a grand film, but came out quickly after 2, and the public was a bit burnt out. I do agree that the perceived quality of a previous film is an input. I just don't agree that it is the single largest driver of success. As always, the film itself is.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#1586 of 1639 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,580 posts

Posted March 04 2013 - 03:59 PM

I don't totally buy that, Brandon. Though I acknowledge your point. For example, The Dark Knight is both the highest grossing and most popular of the Nolan Batman films. Rises didn't gross more than TDK due to TDK's popularity.

But it did gross a lot more than it deserved because of TDK. I agree with the others but add one caveat, the second movie of a series grosses depend a lot more on the first movie than the quality of the second movie assuming it is at least on the order of the first one, even if a fair bit worse by most people's standards, especially if the first movie wasn't as popular in the theater as it deserved. Austin Powers : IMOM, Batman Begins, and Pirates of the Caribbean come to mind.

#1587 of 1639 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,689 posts

Posted June 09 2013 - 12:58 PM

A new poster

image.jpg

The trailer should be out on Tuesday
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#1588 of 1639 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,990 posts

Posted June 09 2013 - 03:51 PM

Lovely poster. Expected the teaser this week. Man of Steel and all that.

#1589 of 1639 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted June 10 2013 - 04:35 AM

A very cool poster.  My tail  -- a thunderbolt!

Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#1590 of 1639 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 627 posts

Posted June 10 2013 - 04:59 AM

Love the poster!

#1591 of 1639 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,689 posts

Posted June 11 2013 - 12:00 PM

The trailer is out, but I won't get to view it until later tonight.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#1592 of 1639 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,737 posts

Posted June 11 2013 - 12:56 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.c...ayer_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And if that embed doesn't work, here's the link.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#1593 of 1639 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,809 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 11 2013 - 12:59 PM

Here ya go:

• Brandon Conway likes this

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#1594 of 1639 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,281 posts

Posted June 11 2013 - 02:18 PM

Really looking forward to it!

#1595 of 1639 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,990 posts

Posted June 11 2013 - 04:05 PM

Sweet! Legolas: The Movie.

Just kidding.

Not really.

Still, I liked the teaser.

#1596 of 1639 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,265 posts

Posted June 12 2013 - 12:22 AM

Chiming in after 80 pages of conversation and just having watched

the new trailer....

First, let me stress that I am a huge fan of The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I read all the books as a teen, and felt Peter Jackson did a superb job

translating them to film.

That being said, I really disliked The Hobbit....

...and I was reminded as to how much dislike I had for it when I finally

sat and watched the 3D Blu-ray this past weekend.

There are two major problems with the film as far as I am concerned.

The first problem is that it's more of the same of what we have seen

already.  Best way to describe the experience is...been there, done that.

The second problem is the greed involved in expanding this book out to 

three films.  It was unnecessary to do.  As a result, The Hobbit took too

much time to tell its story.  In fact, I found it a complete bore to sit through.

I am hoping that the next two installments that follow will be better paced.

Hard to imagine having to sit and watch an extended version of what has

already been released --- and this is coming from someone that prefers the

longer editions of The Lord of The Rings.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#1597 of 1639 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,854 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 12 2013 - 02:30 AM

Chiming in after 80 pages of conversation and just having watched

the new trailer....

First, let me stress that I am a huge fan of The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I read all the books as a teen, and felt Peter Jackson did a superb job

translating them to film.

That being said, I really disliked The Hobbit....

...and I was reminded as to how much dislike I had for it when I finally

sat and watched the 3D Blu-ray this past weekend.

There are two major problems with the film as far as I am concerned.

The first problem is that it's more of the same of what we have seen

already.  Best way to describe the experience is...been there, done that.

The second problem is the greed involved in expanding this book out to 

three films.  It was unnecessary to do.  As a result, The Hobbit took too

much time to tell its story.  In fact, I found it a complete bore to sit through.

I am hoping that the next two installments that follow will be better paced.

Hard to imagine having to sit and watch an extended version of what has

already been released --- and this is coming from someone that prefers the

longer editions of The Lord of The Rings.

Bringing The Hobbit to the big screen, I don't know how they avoid the first problem for the most part.

However, the second problem I do agree with you that it probably was best to show this in just two films, but I'll resist final judgment until I see all three films.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#1598 of 1639 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted June 12 2013 - 05:57 AM

I had chills and a grin during that whole teaser.  I cannot wait until December.

Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#1599 of 1639 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,281 posts

Posted June 12 2013 - 09:11 AM

The only greed I saw was Jackson's for the material, a vice I completely share. AUJ could have been twice as long and I probably still would have loved it.

• nara likes this

#1600 of 1639 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,507 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 12 2013 - 09:27 AM

I'm over my disappointment in Jackson's decisions regarding The Hobbit.  I thought the first film suffered from bloatiness, and I'm sure this film will suffer as well.  But, I'm dropping my expectations and just preparing to have fun with what we have!

At least Smaug looks ridiculously scary!  Is Cumberbatch doing Smaug's voice?  I see his name on the credits, and I was wondering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users