What's new

Scooby Doo - green snapper?!? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Here's the brand new artwork for WB's Scooby Doo:

The disc will be released in separate fullscreen and widescreen transfers on October 15th. Nothing official has been said yet, but dig that green snapper case!

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
One of the worst films of the year already getting announced for DVD just a little bit over a month after theatrical release? Not surprised. :)
So does that mean Master of Disguise, an even worse film, will be announced in like two weeks? :D

MattHR

Screenwriter
I remember the dvd release dates were announced for both GHOSTS OF MARS and DEUCES WILD the Monday morning after
their weekend theatrical debuts. The studios knew they
were bombs.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, Scooby Doo is hardly a bomb. The movie was stupid, for sure, but moderately amusing.
Julian: Absolutely. In fact, the film pulled down a LOT more box office than the studio expected.

Matt: In that vein, you might recall that there was a document posted here on HTF a month or so before that film his theaters. That document was leaked from a certain biggest retailer in the whole wide world. It contained accurate DVD release dates for many MANY titles, including big smash hits which were still in theaters (like Scorpian King).

As I hold a printout of that doc in my hands right now, I see that the only thing which has proven so far to be inaccurate - at least that I notice at 5 in the morn - is that the dates were switched on Ice Age and AotC.

And yes, Scooby is on this list.

Keep in mind that these days there are studios that are viewing theater runs as a part of an OVERALL profit strategy for a film. Toy runs and other merchandising are a huge part of that strategy. Likewise, the home video releases are part of it as well.

For Scooby-Doo, it was probably a strategy of "Hype the film, get related catalog videos out on DVD with free tickets to the film included, get as much BO off the film as we can, cross-promote the film with co-op products, sell the hell out of toys and clothes, relax for a couple of months, now start the whole thing all over again with the home video release...just in time for Christmas!"

Simple, but effective. The thing's been hugely profitable for WB. And the sequel's in-the-works, as you all know.

As for the green snapper: it was inevitable. Colored, gimmicky keepcases have been popular enough, we should have seen Warner's snapper move coming up 42nd Avenue. :wink:

MattHR

Screenwriter
I remember the dvd release dates were announced for both GHOSTS OF MARS and DEUCES WILD the Monday morning after
I meant "bombs" as far as theatrical profits. Most theatrical screenings seem to be nothing more than
"awareness" campaigns for the impending video release.
That way, consumers have at least heard of the movie.
Otherwise, they'd be "straight-to-video", and many consumers simply ignore these titles.

I realize that the video release dates are probably determined way in advance of the theatrical release,
based on box-office performance estimates.

Brenton

Screenwriter
I enjoyed this film. While it wasn't great, it was terrific as an homage to the cartoon series, which I love. If you want to see a Scooby movie that sucks royally, pick up one of the stupid cartoon movies like "Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost".

While I found the film enjoyable, I probably won't be picking the disc up, unless I find it at a bargain and have some extra money left over from the "higher priority" titles coming out this year, as well as a reciever and speaker set I have my eyes on.

As for the cover art... it doesn't look "final" to me. I imagine that the stars names will be printed across the top above the title, as well as some kind of tagline. It just looks too plain.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Is DVD-18 still not ready for a 'big' title like this? MGM used it on "Bandits" to have both widescreen and pan and scan on the same disc, and though that wasn't a hugely popular title I've seen some stores stock a lot of copies of it. It's time to put an END to these separate widescreen/"fullscreen" releases!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
What's up with the soundtrack ad right there on the front cover of the DVD? Odd…

MichaelG

Second Unit
Why does Sarah Michele Gellar lok like Calista Flockhart on the cover? It is a cool cover, I never saw the movie and will probably just rent this one. Freddie Price was a horrible mis-cast IMO, I thought Fred was supposed to be at least taller than Daphne.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
The Snapper's gotta go. Green or red or whatever. Cheap cheap cheap. Sorry, don't want to start a snapper bashing thread. I will give this movie a rent, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks