What's new

Monster XP Inner Coating (1 Viewer)

Merrill

Grip
I've looked in the forum and found very little reference to the plastic inner coating on the Monster XP wire. What is that inner coating and does anyone have a suggestion for the best way to get rid of it.

My wire strippers (I think it's a pretty good pair) strips the insulation but leaves the inner plastic coating. If I try to strip that, I'll lose strands. I guess I could use a magnifying glass and a blade to remove it.

Any other suggestions?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The wire is finely stranded, when I tried to strip it, it did remove a few strands of wire at the same time. Now I just pull it off with fingernails. Not clean, but gets it off without damage to the wire.

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
The XP wire all has the inner plastic tube wound in the middle ... it supposedly ( in conjuction with the way the copper strands are wound around the "flux tube" ) creates its own magnetic field when a signal is passed through the wire ..... the magnetic field is supposed to isolate the wire from any external EM interference ....

XP is designed around this "flux tube" do not take it out ..... if you dont want it in there just purchase some good oxygen free copper 16 gauge cable.

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
oops wait a sec ...... i just realized you might have been refering to the coating around the windings ......... oops ..... john's right ..... the quickest easiest way to take the coating off is with the fingernails! :b

Merrill

Grip
I love it. $1500 system all comes down to using a $0.10 blade to allow the speakers to connect properly. Thanks guys. I am off to Wal-Mart for my blade. :)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If you can just hold off a bit, I'll be introducing my audiophile grade razor blades...I was thinking of pricing them at $5 each and had come up with "...the best a man can get" as an advertising slogan but letters from Gillete and N.O.W. are causing me to rethink this...BTW, 10 blade minimum order but free s/h till the end of the year :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks