Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Monster XP Inner Coating

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Merrill

Merrill

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted August 02 2002 - 04:45 PM

I've looked in the forum and found very little reference to the plastic inner coating on the Monster XP wire. What is that inner coating and does anyone have a suggestion for the best way to get rid of it. My wire strippers (I think it's a pretty good pair) strips the insulation but leaves the inner plastic coating. If I try to strip that, I'll lose strands. I guess I could use a magnifying glass and a blade to remove it. Any other suggestions?
---
Merf

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted August 02 2002 - 05:28 PM

use a razor blade and cut the plastic. You're not going to hurt the wire.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted August 02 2002 - 06:13 PM

The wire is finely stranded, when I tried to strip it, it did remove a few strands of wire at the same time. Now I just pull it off with fingernails. Not clean, but gets it off without damage to the wire.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted August 02 2002 - 07:26 PM

The XP wire all has the inner plastic tube wound in the middle ... it supposedly ( in conjuction with the way the copper strands are wound around the "flux tube" ) creates its own magnetic field when a signal is passed through the wire ..... the magnetic field is supposed to isolate the wire from any external EM interference .... XP is designed around this "flux tube" do not take it out ..... if you dont want it in there just purchase some good oxygen free copper 16 gauge cable.
- "How'd you do that?"
- "What?!"
- "You move like they do ... I've never seen anyone move that fast."

The Martheaplexx

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted August 02 2002 - 07:29 PM

oops wait a sec ...... i just realized you might have been refering to the coating around the windings ......... oops ..... john's right ..... the quickest easiest way to take the coating off is with the fingernails! :b
- "How'd you do that?"
- "What?!"
- "You move like they do ... I've never seen anyone move that fast."

The Martheaplexx

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Chip E

Chip E

Screenwriter

• 1,166 posts

Posted August 03 2002 - 12:02 AM

I use a utility knife... no problems.
- Chip

My HT

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Merrill

Merrill

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted August 03 2002 - 02:20 AM

I love it. $1500 system all comes down to using a $0.10 blade to allow the speakers to connect properly. Thanks guys. I am off to Wal-Mart for my blade. Posted Image
---
Merf

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted August 03 2002 - 03:26 AM

If you can just hold off a bit, I'll be introducing my audiophile grade razor blades...I was thinking of pricing them at $5 each and had come up with "...the best a man can get" as an advertising slogan but letters from Gillete and N.O.W. are causing me to rethink this...BTW, 10 blade minimum order but free s/h till the end of the year Posted Image

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Russell _T

Russell _T

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted August 03 2002 - 08:14 AM

Chu, When will they ship?
Russ Tarvin
If it's too loud, you're too old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users