Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Anyone else like REALLY spicy/hot food?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

• 1,711 posts

Posted August 02 2002 - 08:12 AM

I always enjoyed hot foods growing up, but it wasn't until I got to college that I really became addicted. It's amazing how fast you build up a tolerance once you start consuming spicy foods on a regular basis. Foods that would have been inedible one year ago are now just like "ehhh...it's kinda hot...".

There's the problem, it seems like there aren't any restaurants I can visit/take out from that have food hot enough for my tastes. I LOVE buffalo wings, but out of the 8-10 area restaurants that have wings none of them are even close to what I expect from a hot wing. I've been trying Chinese places, I even tell them "Make it as spicy as humanly possible, tell the cook to pretend he's mad and he wants to hurt me by making the food really hot, etc." but it still seems so bland. Oh, I guess I could smother everything with some extreme hot sauces, but that adds an obtrusive flavor to the food.

I know there are others out there, what do you do to satisfy the addiction for heat? I can make a mean chili, jambalaya, habanero salsa, etc., but what about when I go out to eat? I've heard Thai restaurants are pretty serious, but the closest one is 30 min. away, is Thai food hot enough to be worth the drive? I want to be challanged, dammit! I want to sweat, cry, break out into weird rashes, anything to feel the burn again. Any suggestions?

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Julie K

Julie K

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted August 02 2002 - 08:16 AM

I've never found food that's hot enough in a restaurant, even when I tell them on a scale of 1 to 10, make it 1000. It's just always the same bland disappointment.

So, what I do is carry around a small pillbox filled with chiltepin peppers. I also have a little vial filled with a habanero powder that's been laced with capsaicin extract. One or both of these will do the job.
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf."
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   David Ely

David Ely

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted August 02 2002 - 08:21 AM

I used to love really hot food (I'd eat it all the time), but I cannot eat it anymore. Eating hot food over the years has really killed my stomach. I have various stomach problems now that I'm being treated for Posted Image
Visit my website
Golden's Domain

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Doug_H

Doug_H

Supporting Actor

• 588 posts

Posted August 02 2002 - 08:32 AM

I like Chili just as hot as I can get it, here in Texas that is pretty easy to find. Just head for the local chili cookoff.
Every child has many wishes. Some include a wallet, two chicks, and a cigar, but that's another story.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor

• 978 posts

Posted August 02 2002 - 08:51 AM

Rule of thumb for me: If I ain't crying a river of tears, it ain't hot enough. Seriously.

And I don't mind the ... after-effects, when spicy foods go through my system -- I'm not affected by them.

DVDs (24 Feb 2006): Discs - 2579, Titles - 1688 (Avg. 17 Titles/Month) • Films I've Seen: 20052004200320022001

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted August 02 2002 - 01:37 PM

There's a wing chain that's supposed to be opening around here that serves one of the hottest wings available (I forget the name of the place, and the wing). You have to be over 21, and in good health, and they serve them one at a time. Nobody I know has ever seen anyone finish one. A habanero has a rating of 150,000 heat units--these wings have a rating of 300,000+. That might be hot enough for you.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Julie K

Julie K

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted August 02 2002 - 11:45 PM

Quote:
A habanero has a rating of 150,000 heat units--these wings have a rating of 300,000+.
Or find a Red Savina habanero which can go to 500,000 Scovilles Posted Image

(Seriously, the whole bit of being over 21, in good health, and only serving one at a time is just a stunt to draw business.)
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf."
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson

Second Unit

• 457 posts

Posted August 03 2002 - 09:46 AM

I like chilli flakes on my scrambled eggs, I guess I'm just a wuss Posted Image.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Tim Markley

Tim Markley

Screenwriter

• 1,279 posts

Posted August 03 2002 - 10:27 AM

My wife is Thai so we enjoy alot of spicy food. Her tolerance is WAY higher than mine though. You should definitely check out the Thai restaurant. I love Thai food. Just make sure to tell them to make it very spicy, like how Thai people eat it. My mother in law grows her own peppers in her back yard and they're very hot. Not sure what kind they are though.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Walt N

Walt N

Second Unit

• 417 posts

Posted August 03 2002 - 11:54 AM

I'm partial to Hatch chilis from New Mexico. I believe they're a habanero type chili and very hot. There are a couple of resturants in my hometown of PHX that specialize in jammin' Sante Fe style Mexican food using Hatch chilis so I make it a point to pay a visit whenever I'm there. Their dishes are hotter than blazes, definitely not for the faint of heart but if you've got the addiction, highly recommended.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted August 03 2002 - 01:20 PM

Speaking of spicy/hot food, I work in a Mexican Restaurant and point and laugh at all the people who can't take our salsa. Man, there are some wusses in this world. I mean, seriously, what kind of bland upbringing did these people get? There's more to life than burgers, fries, and ketchup you know.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   BertFalasco

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor

• 850 posts

Posted August 04 2002 - 05:21 AM

I would if I had the tolerance. I ate a flatliner at school, and the whole B lunch encouraged me to eat (I didn't fall to peer pressure Posted Image I had a bet with a teacher for $5.) it. So I did, then immediately drank water, little did I know. I seriously drank about 2 gallons of water that lunch period. No milk. No bread. Just taking it like a biznitch.

I also ate another one at The Buffalo Wing Factory last Thrusday. I friggin wiped my mouth and then wiped my right eye area. Oh my God....

-Bert

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted August 04 2002 - 06:30 AM

Matt, have you ever eat Korean food? They use broths and stew-like concoctions, but it's often very spicy.

Food isn't good unless it makes you cry.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Anthony_D

Anthony_D

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted August 04 2002 - 06:57 AM

Thai food is awesome! I love spicy foods...mexican, chinese, or whatever the cuisine is...make it spicy!!!
He's dead now. He was a thief...and a terrorist. But on the other hand, he had a tremendous singing voice.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Bob Partovi

Bob Partovi

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted August 04 2002 - 07:51 AM

Ok if you want Spicy HOT food eat INDIAN! INDIAN I SAY!! Their food is similar to many middle eastern dishes except they load on the spices and Hotness. They put Cumen, Curry, and other stuff to make everything hot. If you want it hot and your an average American then ask for it Mild. If you're a vet or Ethnic then GO FOR THE MEDIUM! Work your way up to Hot eventually. I've cried, asked for more bread, water, and blown my nose the whole time!
Sir, the World is an imperfect place, screws fall out all the time.

Sometimes I get these urges...I want to hump this lamp....or this Couch!