What's new

Are Ya' Ready For Some Football!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Jack Smith

Agent
Thank the maker! No more damn chick flicks on the system until February 03! I'm saved and (at least sometimes) in HD! I can finally put away the old football DVD's, except for "Any Given Sunday" and "Rudy", turn on the system, crank up the amps, open a beer and take control of the basement! Thank you NFL!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I can guarantee you that here in Houston we are DAMN ready for some football!!! It's great to be back in the NFL with a new team & stadium (and sans Bud Adams).
Go Texans!!! :D

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Craig -- why didn't Houston just build the Oilers a stadium and be done with it? I don't understand why cities like Houston and Cleveland refuse to meet the demands for their teams and then do even bigger deals for the expansion club.

By the way, GO EAGLES. SB bound.

Wes C

Supporting Actor
I couldn't be more excited!!!! Unfortunately, My girlfriend is dragging me to the circus tonight so I cant watch the cowboys scrimmage:frowning:

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Craig -- why didn't Houston just build the Oilers a stadium and be done with it?
That sounds like it would have made sense but there were personalities & politics involved, and of course then common sense goes out the window!

Basically, Oilers owner Bud Adams had held the city over a barrel in the 80s and forced a seating expansion & renovation of the Astrodome. When he came back just a few years later demanding a new stadium, the city leaders balked - as did most citizens, who by this time were sick of the crude, boorish Adams and his underperforming team.

I believe the seeds of the break were planted back in 1981 when Adams fired immensely popular coach Bum Phillips, whose only crime was taking the Oilers to the playoffs several years in a row without being able to break through to the Super Bowl (the dominant Steelers had a little bit to do with that). Most football fans here never forgave Adams for the firing and many actively hated him. The only way the break wouldn't have happened was if Adams had sold the team - but everyone knew he was going to hold onto it until the day he died. The stadium issue was the final straw that broke the camel's back.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Glenn,
The Pats are gearing up to kick some serious Steeler butt Monday night September 9th in the brand new stadium. Hope your Steelers have improved their special teams this year :D

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Hope your Steelers have improved their special teams this year
So do I. :)
All the preseason predictions of them going to the Super Bowl have me worried. Something's sure to go bad now.
My prediction is you'll be wishing you had Bledsoe back by season's end. Brady will fail to catch lightning in a bottle again.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Craig -- well, the Oilers were lucky enough to have the legendary Buddy Ryan as defensive coordinator. Still remember Buddy punching the OC on national TV.

Glenn -- Your boy Levon Kirkland looks good in Eagle green. Let's hope for an all-Pennsylvania super bowl.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Glenn, I am a big Bledsoe guy. What Brady did last year was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. I wish the Pats had kept Bledsoe around this year as insurance. The Pats still would have got a 1st round pick after the season and since Brady is only making 400K this year they could have carried them both this year.
Billy B didn't want the potential distraction. We will see this year if Brady is for real or not. He seems to have IT. The intangables that don't produce great stats but W's. I hope he is for real.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
In before the move ;)
Go Colts! We are now in the pansy, cakewalk division. Yay for us. And I really give all my Houston friends a hard time twice a year for a few years now. :D

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!How about dem' COWBOYS!!!

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Kevin. Like I needed another reason to hate the Cowboys.

This is a great day to be a Redskins fan, with George Allen going into Canton and the debut of the Spurrier era and the new retro uniforms tonight. If you haven't seen the new unis, you're in for a treat. You'll be scanning the sidelines for Sonny Jurgensen and Billy Kilmer.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It will be another long season in Detroit, since the Lions will be lucky to win four games. Of course, an optimist could say that would be twice as many wins as last year. :) In any case, all the home games will probably be sellouts in their new, smaller stadium. The Lions sold out 6 or 7 games in the 80,000 seat Silverdome last year, so they will easily sell out all the games in the new 65,000 seat Ford Field.
The AFC should be an interesting battle. I think Pittsburgh will be a contender, but they will still need to overcome Stewart at QB. Miami will be improved with Ricky Williams at RB and Chris Chambers having a year of experience at WR, but they still have Fiedler at QB. The Colts will be a team to watch if James can come back from his ACL injury, since the defense should be improved under new head coach Dungy. I think the Patriots will have a tough time making the playoffs -- Brady did what it took to win games last year, but I still think Bledsoe is more talented. New England will not sneak up on anyone this year, and it's hard to imagine Antowain Smith having another year like last season at RB.
In the NFC, the Rams are the team to beat. Maybe Gruden can get the Bucs over the hump, but I think it will take a few years for him to get rid of the losing attitudes in the locker room. The Eagles lack quality receivers, and Duce Staley is a third down back at best. Dorsey Levens may pry the starting job from him before the season is too old. It's difficult to imagine the Bears duplicating last year's record, since so many wins were the result of unusual plays. If Jim Miller is their QB all year, Chicago will be lucky to win 9 games. Look for Chris Chandler to take over the starting job there, but he can never stay healthy for long. The Packers could be interesting, but who will Favre throw the ball to, other than RB Ahman Green? Can Terry Glenn stay out of trouble for an entire season?

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Did they think it would help Bledsoe to feel more comfortable if they copied the Patriots uni's? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks