What's new

Potential WB "Two Disc Special Editions" (1 Viewer)

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Now that we know there is a branded WB "Two-Disc Special Edition" line, what potential titles could WB put out in the future? My guesses, based on rumors from their Digital Bits chat that happened ages ago, are King Kong, The Adventures of Robin Hood, and Blade Runner.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I think King Kong and Robin Hood will be DVD-9's. They have a good amount of supplements, but not enough for 2-discs.

Here's some titles I think would make good 2-disc material by WB:

Around the World in Eighty Days (DVD-18 for the 2 versions of the movie and a DVD-9 for the huge amount of archival stuff)

Goodfellas (which has already been in production)

The Lon Chaney Collection (Perhaps a 5 disc set of the surviving MGM Chaney films...this would have He Who Gets Slapped, The Unholy Three (1925), The Unknown, London After Midnight: Reconstructed Edition (from TCM), Tell It To The Marines, The Unholy Three (1930 version), West of Zanzibar, Thunder (half-reel of surviving footage), Where East Is East, The Blackbird, Mr. Wu, The Road To Mandalay, The Tower of Lies, The Monster, Laugh Clown Laugh, The Big City, While the City Sleeps, and Mockery.) Most of these films are around an hour long and could fit on 4-5 discs. I'd also like to see the Kevin Brownlow doc packaged with it.

Gone With The Wind (LDI remaster already made)

Charlie Chaplin First National Films (WB will probably package all the First National Chaplins in a 2-disc set when they do the special edition.)

Giant (WB is working on one)

Dawn of Sound Collection (2 disc set of early sound films like The Jazz Singer, Lights of New York, and various vitaphone shorts)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Patrick,
do you already know what the supplements will be for AORH and KK?
or are you just guessing?
i think all 3 mentioned in the first post are great choices, and can't wait to pick them all up-hopefully next year.

I think an upgraded version of The Matrix would be appropriate, combining the extras of The Matrix Revisited with some new material (I'm sure there is some floating around that we haven't seen yet). More then anything, I'd like to see the trailers included on the discs. Including them in MPEG format for viewing on a computer just isn't acceptable, especially if you don't have a DVD-ROM driver.

I'll second a two-disc SE of Batman (1989), though. The current version just doesn't do the film justice.

SCH

Thomas Hart

Stunt Coordinator
What WB films should get 2-Disc treatment? Gee, how about for starters, the 3 greatest films of all-time:

"Gone With the Wind"
"The Wizard of Oz"
"Casablanca"

(I mean, I have a great 3-Disc version of "Cleopatra", I think the above 3 should get at least as good a presentation!)

Oh, and maybe the reason they keep pushing back the 2-Disc release of "Giant" because WB is also working on 2-Disc versions of "Rebel Without a Cause" and "East of Eden" (including some docs and performances from TV) for a box set. I can dream can't I?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Robin Hood and King Kong are confirmed coming next year
Blade Runner is either coming this Xmas or next year

Gone with the Wind will come sooner rather than later I'm positive
Around the World in 80 Days will show up at some point, but DVD-18 I doubt

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Fearless would be nice, since the original is P&S.
Hell, I'd just be happy if they released it barebones with a decent OAR anamorphic transfer.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Swing Time i know this is on their adjenda, but don't know how much they are going to put into it.
Since we won't be getting a full Thin Man box set, how about the next greatest Loy/Powell film? With Jean Harlow and Spencer Tracy thrown in for good measure-The Libeled Lady
and a couple classic major studio film noirs-Postman Always Rings Twice ('46)
and Mildred Pierce
i'd also like to see the James Dean material done up right.
BRING IT ON!

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS
BRIGADOON
FORBIDDEN PLANET
THE BAND WAGON
SILK STOCKINGS
SWING TIME
TOP HAT
KING KONG
THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD
SCARAMOUCHE
THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
THE PRISONER OF ZENDA

Matthew H

Second Unit
The first Batman will probably be one (and I hope it is), but some I really want, and although it won't happen is National Lampoon's Vacation and Beetlejuice. :D:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I want Vacation and Beetlejuice as SEs, but I gather they wouldn't have enough extras to fill 2 discs. But still, Vacation and Beetlejuice NEED new releases.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I think Blade Runner is already a given when it eventually shows up.
Goodfellas & King Kong would be tops on my list for potential 2-disc sets.
Adventures of Robin Hood & Thing From Another World would also be nice. :D
In fact there are just too many deserving titles for me to list right now. I'm just very lazy today.

GaryEA

Second Unit
I would pay top dollar for a SE of Batman.
Some of the many reasons I can think of for a Batman SE could be a "making of" documentary ("Batman Revisted" anyone?), the trailers (which I'd LOVE to finally have), the Prince videos, and whatever deleted scenes that exist.
Whip up a spiffy new transfer (but don't play around with it a la Superman - there's no need), and a package design (cardboard case like Kane with embossed logo on the front), and there you go.
Instant sale! :)
-g

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Bonny and Clyde yet. A great, influential film, and most of the principals are still alive and well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks