-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Extended Garantees ??? If u have an opinion please answer ASAP.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 RichardA

RichardA

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted August 01 2002 - 04:03 AM

Are these advisable of projection TV's? Buying a Toshiba 50H82. They want $409 Canadian or $258 US for an extended 6yr warranty package. These TVs only have a one year warranty. Are these warranties worth it??

Thanks

Richard
Richard

#2 of 4 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted August 01 2002 - 07:20 AM

This question came up in the basics portion of the forum a couple of days ago.Presshere to go to that thread.

I mkight change my view if the total is for six years. Also I don't know enough about projection devices to have a valid view on MTTR.

However, you may wish to carefully check the contract for your obligations (do you have to perform peridoc maint) before signing.

Caveat Emptor Posted Image
¡Time is not my master!

#3 of 4 Peter Loan

Peter Loan

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 12:08 PM

Rich, I normally do not buy extended warranties but the one they are offering is a good deal. The chances of something going wrong with an HD RPTV within six years is actually pretty high and the repair costs for these sets are catastrophic. Just make sure and read the fine print on what the warantee will and won't cover. Also, ask what happens when the warranty is used, is it good for multiple repairs? Is it onsite service? I paid $185 for a four year warranty on my set and it's the first extended warranty I have ever purchased.

#4 of 4 Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted August 06 2002 - 02:26 AM

Consumer Reports recommends not purchasing extended warranties for anything except camcorders and RPTVs. Because of the relative high failure rate of these devices, they do recommend them for these.