-

Photo

VHS - PAL to NTSC conversion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 03:29 AM

Sorry if this is the wrong area guys...feel free to move it.

Here's my dilemma. I received a videotape from someone in England that is PAL format. I popped it into my NTSC VCR - nothing but an incoherent mess. I understand some of the differences between NTSC and PAL but does anyone have any ideas as to how I could go about successfully copying the current PAL tape to an NTSC format tape to play in my VCR?

Thanks! Posted Image

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator

• 153 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 03:40 AM

If this is a tape that is from a movie studio, I believe that this is a violation of copying protected material. If not, there are some places that offer outboard PAL to NTSC conversion, however those machines are quite expensive. I've seen some that are as much as $350 to $450 for one machine. I was looking for a region free dvd player that is how I came across those machines. I believe that sendmemovies.com has some. Also do a search for signal converters; that might help you as well.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 03:45 AM

Robert:

No, it's a tape from someone my father knows of a dance that took place about a month ago.

Sorry, I should have specified.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 04:14 AM

Many photocopy stores or mom-and-pop copy stores (like Kinko's) can do it. I wouldn't buy a PAL/SECAM/NTSC VCR for one tape. Just have it converted.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 10:43 AM

Check the yellow pages under "videotape duplication". Lots of places do this. I am sure you can find one in your area. Just don't pay more than $15.00. I charge that for this service in my area, and I've seen scam artists trying to get ridiculous prices for simple conversions..