Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN pre-release discussion (MERGED THREAD)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
108 replies to this topic

#1 of 109 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted July 30 2002 - 02:12 PM

From a Fox press release:

PRAGUE - Principal photography has begun on “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen,” starring Sean Connery, and based on the acclaimed graphic serial strips by Alan Moore (From Hell) and Kevin O’ Neill. Directed by Stephen Norrington (“Blade”) from a screenplay by James Robinson, the film is produced by Don Murphy (“From Hell,” “Natural Born Killers”) and executive produced by Trevor Albert and Mark Gordon. The line producer is Mike Nelson.

Set in Victorian England, the film centers around a team of extraordinary figures culled from great adventure literature who are recruited by a mysterious caller to stop a villain intent on turning the nations of the world against one another. This remarkable coterie of heroes is led by Allan Quartermain (Connery) and comprises Dracula vampiress Mina Harker (Peta Wilson), the Invisible Man (Tony Curran), Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde (Jason Flemyng), Tom Sawyer (Shane West), Captain Nemo (Naseeruddin Shah), and Dorian Gray (Stuart Townsend).

Filmmakers include director of photography Dan Lausten (“Giselle”), production designer Carol Spier (“Blade 2: Bloodhunt”), costume designer Jacqueline West (“Quills”), and Oscar nominated editor Paul Rubell (“The Insider”). The film’s extensive visual effects are being designed by Academy Award winner Janek Sirrs (“The Matrix”), while Steve Johnson (“Blade 2“) and his Edge FX are creating creature designs for the characters of Mr. Hyde and vampiress Mina Harker, along with special fx makeup for Dorian Gray and the Invisible Man.

Principal photography on the 17-week shoot will occur almost entirely in Prague, with additional shooting in Vienna and Malta, concluding in late October.

The more I hear about this movie, the more excited I get. I gotta pick up the novel!

#2 of 109 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted July 30 2002 - 02:28 PM

SWEET! Posted Image
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#3 of 109 OFFLINE   Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted July 30 2002 - 05:51 PM

Quote:
graphic serial strips

What the? OK, breathe in and say it with me: COMIC BOOK. IT'S BASED ON A COMIC BOOK! Posted Image

Coincidentally, Volume 2, Issue 1 of the comic just came out recently. Check it out! Martians! Posted Image
"The feel of the experience is the important thing, not the ability to verbalize it." -Stanley Kubrick

#4 of 109 OFFLINE   David Rogers

David Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 02:01 AM

After the huge fiscal success of recent comic adapted films, I don't understand why Fox would feel the need to play word games to avoid putting "comic book" in the PR.

Looking forward to the teaser, then a full trailer.
-----

Dave's World
-No matter where you go, there you are-

#5 of 109 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 02:19 AM

Quote:
What the? OK, breathe in and say it with me: COMIC BOOK. IT'S BASED ON A COMIC BOOK!

Can you imagine if they applied the same attitude toward movies? We wouldn't have movies. We'd have "cinematographic moving picture productions" or some such Posted Image

Quote:
Coincidentally, Volume 2, Issue 1 of the comic just came out recently. Check it out! Martians!

Pretty amazing how they combined seemingly every major fantasy depiction of Mars into one continuity. Such a cool series. If only it could come out more regularly Posted Image

#6 of 109 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 03:01 AM

Supposedly, the reason for the long delay between Volume One and Volume 2 is so that Kevin O'Neill could get far enough ahead that it can come out monthly.

I wonder how far Norrington & company are going to go in terms of cramming details into corners. Moore and O'Neill went positively insane with it. Regardless, this is something I'm looking forward to, big-time.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#7 of 109 OFFLINE   JohnE

JohnE

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 06:42 AM

I was just reading about this. Man this is great news. Posted Image

#8 of 109 ONLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,583 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted July 31 2002 - 12:10 PM

Here's a little news on this from the inside.

A good friend of mine is actually one of the co-producers on this film and works very closely with Don Murphy (whom I have met a few times..what a character!).

He just got back from a month long stay in Prague and told me that shooting actually began about a month ago and things are going great. He had dinner with Sean Connery and said he was one of the coolest people you would ever want to meet. He is said to be great in the film, which he thinks will be a huge hit.

Has anyone read the screenplay? He is sending it out to me today. Can't wait to read it.:b
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#9 of 109 OFFLINE   Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor

• 922 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 01:44 PM

The Gentlemen comic book is a rousing adventure tale, IMHO, mixing wicked humor and excellent action with some neat plot twists and some rather shocking character actions; for instance:

one of the Gentlemen kills a policeman just for the heck of it

I think it's a testament to Alan Moore's writing that he can take a group of tortured individuals--almost all of whom have a serious psychological/mental problem--and turn them into a group of heroes you can root for.

The book was published in a collected hardcover edition, which has recently gone OOP. However, there will be a TPB edition coming out in September, I believe. Can't recommend it enough.

On the topic of the movie: while reading the book, I thought to myself that if Stephen Norrington sticks closely to the source material, there is LITERALLY no way he can screw it up. However, with the addition of characters like Dorian Gray and Tom Sawyer(!), I'm starting to get a little worried. But I'll be optimistic.

And kudos to whomever cast Connery as Allan Quartermain. Genius! Posted Image
I like shiny things. | 2002 Film List | Best & Worst of 2002 | 2003 Film List | 2004 Film List

'I'm sucking up juice from the generator!' - Brian Eno, "I Fall Up"
AIM: KevinLeonard81 (because SexGod9451860 was already taken)
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

#10 of 109 OFFLINE   Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 02:10 PM

I don't have a source for this, but I recall reading an interview with Moore when he mentioned Gray and Sawyer were written out of the comic, but were there in earlier drafts. Don't forget, Tom Sawyer became a detective later in life!
"The feel of the experience is the important thing, not the ability to verbalize it." -Stanley Kubrick

#11 of 109 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 02:31 PM

OK, that's it.

I'm off to buy this novel right now.

Seriously. Posted Image

#12 of 109 OFFLINE   Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor

• 922 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 02:53 PM

Good luck finding it at a b&m store, Scott! Posted Image These suckers are rare...and expect to pay anywhere from 20 to 40 bucks for a copy online. If you can tough it out, wait for the TPB coming out in September.

You can whet your appetite by picking up the first installment of Vol. 2, which should be quite cheap and available at most bookstores that also sell comics. Based on that issue, it looks like Vol. 2 will be an even better tale than Vol. 1!

Steve: interesting info on the book, I was not aware of that! Though I doubt Moore had any input with the film adaptation, perhaps Norrington had access to deleted material?

Oh, and some useless trivia for y'all: for Jason Flemyng--who plays Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde--this will be his second appearance in a film adaptation of Moore's works. He also played Jack the Ripper's slow-witted accomplice Netley in From Hell, which was based on Moore's graphic novel (another highly recommended book).
I like shiny things. | 2002 Film List | Best & Worst of 2002 | 2003 Film List | 2004 Film List

#13 of 109 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 02:57 PM

OK, I could just pretend to know but you guys know me too well for that. Posted Image

What's "TPB"?

(Also, can someone let me know how many incarnations/versions/editions of the book are out? I suspect just the one, but me dumb.)

#14 of 109 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 03:46 PM

TPB = "Trade Paperback" It's a publishing term for a softcover book printed at a larger-than-mass-market size.

So far, there's been the six issues of Volume 1 printed individually, reprints with two issues apiece, a very nice-looking hardcover volume, and a forthcoming TPB (same size as the HC, just without the, um, hard cover) Just this past week, the first issue of Volume 2 was released.

The hardcover isn't that difficult to find; I'm pretty sure i've seen it at a shop or two in the past month.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#15 of 109 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 04:01 PM

So this upcoming TPB will contain everything that's been printed thus far? (Aside from Vol. 2 of course)

#16 of 109 OFFLINE   Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor

• 922 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 04:13 PM

In so many words Scott, yes.

EDIT: If you do find a hardcover edition, snag it; they are starting to become collectors' items.

#17 of 109 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted August 01 2002 - 02:29 AM

Quote:
On the topic of the movie: while reading the book, I thought to myself that if Stephen Norrington sticks closely to the source material, there is LITERALLY no way he can screw it up. However, with the addition of characters like Dorian Gray and Tom Sawyer(!), I'm starting to get a little
worried. But I'll be optimistic.

I don't mind the additions of characters since I think it's within the spirit of the comic to add characters like that ( I believe the first series contains a reference to Dorian Gray, even though he doesn't actually appear). What worries me is that I've read script reviews that indicate that certain characters are being altered and compromised in order to make the story more "Hollywood". I'm very much looking forward to the movie and I really want it to be good but I'm also just a bit leery of it not turning out well, especially since I wasn't very happy with From Hell, which Murphy also produced.

Re: the collected editions, I've been confused - do either the hardback or tpb contain the text story that ran in the comics featuring the time travellers? I've heard conflicting statements about that. I'm going to get the tpb when it comes out but I'll always hang onto my single issues just because I love the Victorian magazine ads and even the letter pages are hilarious Posted Image

#18 of 109 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,512 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 01 2002 - 06:09 AM

Let us know what you think of the script, Tino!

Frankly, I'm apprehensive of this production. They won't/can't be too faithful to the comic book, and the proof is in the new additions we've already seen.

I also feel the comic story is not very cinematic. I would change many things as I'm sure they will. I just hope they make good changes! So often, they don't.

As long as they keep Moriarty as the villain, they're off to the right start!

#19 of 109 ONLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,583 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted August 01 2002 - 08:29 AM

Quentin
As soon as I get the script and read it, I will post my thoughts here. I know virtually nothing about the comics so I am eager to read it.

I remember talking to Don Murphy just before From Hell came out and I wished him luck with it, and he said something like "I dunno Tino, you might hate it!"

He was right!Posted Image

This one sounds very promising though.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#20 of 109 OFFLINE   Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor

• 922 posts

Posted August 01 2002 - 08:55 AM

Andy,

The hardcover has the text story, along with the letters and ads. I'd imagine the TPB will, too.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow