Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Battlestar Galactica, Columbo, Law&Order fans, possible news

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted July 29 2002 - 01:53 PM

According to pg 12 of Film & Video magazine, these series are currently under restoration for HDTV. I think that this should be a good indication of some of the series that Universal is planning on starting their TV DVD with.

BSG is all but confirmed to be coming for next year's 25th anniversary

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted July 29 2002 - 02:17 PM

I'd defintely be in for Columbo.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,632 posts

Posted July 29 2002 - 02:30 PM

Ditto on Columbo. I just hope that "restoring for HDTV" doesn't mean "cropped to fit your 16 x 9 television".
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted July 29 2002 - 02:59 PM

Good new on BSG. Why do I feel like a coffee?

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted July 29 2002 - 03:00 PM

It definately means they're cropping all of them for 16:9, but that they'll lay down 4:3 at the same time most likely

Galactica, at least the 2 parters was protected for 1.85:1 as theywere intended for foreign theatrical distribution

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Marc_E

Marc_E

Supporting Actor

• 771 posts

Posted July 29 2002 - 03:23 PM

BSG was one of my all time favorties! I saw the movie in theaters with my dad and I thought my head would explode from the massive sound.

HD BSG? LOVE IT!

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Mark Lee

Mark Lee

Second Unit

• 337 posts

Posted July 29 2002 - 03:27 PM

Law & Order!!! My favorite series of all....finally may be coming to DVD!
Mark K. Lee

"Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
- Tom Lehrer

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted July 29 2002 - 04:15 PM

You can't do Columbo without McMilland and Wife and McCloud can you? Posted Image

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Richard Ruffner

Richard Ruffner

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted July 29 2002 - 04:18 PM

I'd buy all the Columbos on DVD, I've already got the three R2 releases and all the Columbia House tapes.

Maybe tvshowsondvd.com could now be convinced to put Columbo as a show listing ? Posted Image

And as for Law and Order, is there enough plastic? Posted Image With 12 seasons of L&O, 4 or so for SVU and at least 2 for CI.
I'm half human on my mother's side.

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Mike_G

Mike_G

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted July 29 2002 - 06:27 PM

Well, someone please try and get the Galactica 3-hour premiere on DVD. I'm tired of this 35mm print lying around.

Mike

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 29 2002 - 07:48 PM

Jeff

Thanks for the update and I look forward to BG especially

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   DavidEC

DavidEC

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted July 29 2002 - 07:59 PM

Its my understanding that all of 'Battlestar' was shot on film due to the use of 'F/X' and has been shown in wide screen formats in the past.

I remember seeing episodes (not the "Movie") of "BG" in a theater in wide screen, in the Mid-80's at a local SciFi convention before the use of video projection caught on.. The same "con" showed 'Buck Rogers' and 'Star Trek' but they were not wide screen.

--David

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted July 29 2002 - 08:54 PM

As much as i'd love to have every episode of LAW AND ORDER. That would end up being the most expensive TV show collection in history...lol!!!

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,193 posts

Posted July 29 2002 - 09:05 PM

You guys *do realize* that the theatrical release of Battlestar Galactica has been available for quite some time on DVD, right?

Posted Image

It was released in 1.85:1 non-anamorphic widescreen way back in June 1999.

It's pretty much "bare-bones", but does include the "Sensurround Track" encoded into the mono DD 1.1 mix.

In any event, I'll definitely be collecting BSG and Columbo whenever they're made available ...
Joseph
---------------

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted July 29 2002 - 10:46 PM

Quote:
Maybe tvshowsondvd.com could now be convinced to put Columbo as a show listing ?
Richard, the problem with listing it separately, and what Gord and I need to figure out what to do with, is this (as quoted from The Ultimate Lt. Columbo Site):

Quote:
The original series ran for 7 seasons on NBC, from 1971 to 1978, ending with The Conspirators. "Columbo" was one of several shows that ran in rotation as part of the NBC Mystery Movie

I can find this IMDB listing for "NBC Mystery Movie" series, which included Columbo, McCloud, McMillan & Wife, etc. That is how we SHOULD list it at TVShowsOnDVD.

The actual "movies" are listed as telefilms, rather than as episodes in a series.

I'll point Gord to this thread and discuss it with him. It's his call, of course! Posted Image

As to the Universal stuff...nothing I can pass on right now. But I'm working on it. That's all for now.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted July 30 2002 - 02:59 AM

Yes, it seems the studios are going to butcher all of their old TV product by cropping it for 16X9 for HDTV broadcasts, but I hope they have the good sense to use the OAR for DVD. I would NEVER buy a show cropped from its OAR for a fake widescreen effect. Can't those who want to do this use their sets to do the cropping? I've seen people watching old series on TV Land in the strech mode and I thought I would go out of my mind it looked so terrible. I have a 16X9 set, and I either watch in 4X3 with black at the sides or go in the other room to watch on my old 27" set!

I'm telling you, this is just as bad as panning and scanning; and I am shocked to see how many pro-OAR movie fans who think nothing of this travesty.

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted July 30 2002 - 03:35 AM

Quote:
Well, someone please try and get the Galactica 3-hour premiere on DVD. I'm tired of this 35mm print lying around.

Mike, I'd be glad to take it off your hands if you don't want it anymore Posted Image

Seriously, maybe we can find somewhere to show it sometime!

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,997 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted July 30 2002 - 03:38 AM

Count another in for Law & Order! Maybe not every season, but a majority. It'd be well worth it.

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Mike_G

Mike_G

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted July 30 2002 - 07:41 AM

The version of BG that's on DVD is something like 20-30 minutes SHORTER than what was shown in Sept., 1978. It's useless, and the LFE on that DVD was screwed up to begin with.

Jeff, that would be a neat idea. Posted Image

Mike

Forum Nav Content I Follow