What's new

Let's talk college football! (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I can't wait until football season arrives. I've already made plans to see my beloved Georgia Bulldogs play this season. I'll be leaving work on Fridays before home games, parking the camper, and heading to downtown Athens to party it up. Then Saturday morning it'll be lots of tailgating before the game. We have a pretty good team this year, so expectations are high. I hope we compete for the SEC title this season.

As for the overall picture this year, as much as I hate them the Hurricanes look to be the team to beat. Maybe one day the NCAA will wise up and implement an actual playoff system.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Yeah the fall is my favorite time of the year. College football is fun to watch. Hopefully Penn State will make a return to their former glory days.

Jeff

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I love college football more than the NFL, actually.
Hail to the Victors - go MICHIGAN WOLVERINES! :emoji_thumbsup:

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I also hate to say this, but I think you are correct Todd. The Hurri-cons still appear to be #1. However, if enough of the team is incarcerated someone else may be able to sneak away with the National Championship ;) From what I've read, don't count the Vols out quite yet.
As for the Big 10+1, I love the Wolverines, but don't believe the hype this season. I know they are the preseason favorite to win the conference and possess another awesome defense, but I just don't see their offense being up to snuff. Its one thing to beat other Big 10+1 teams 17-13, but try holding one of the top SEC or PAC teams down. Very difficult.
Can't wait for the game of the week in HD on CBS! Too bad ABC doesn't give a shit about sports in HD, it would be great to see the Big 10+1 join the SEC with HD coverage :frowning:

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Yeah ... I can't wait for college football as well ... I even keep an old analog RPTV around (optimized for 4:3 viewing) just for the college football games!
My affiliation is Auburn, and we love to beat those Georgia Bulldogs!!
WAR EAGLE!!

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Let me just add...

Go Noles!

Can't wait for the tailgating to begin. I should be getting my FSU season tickets in the mail in about a week. We finally get a Thursday night home game this year against Clemson. That should be something.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Another Auburn fan here. Just graduated from there 3 months ago. I just got a job in Birmingham and will be moving there this weekend. I will definitely make it to all the home games this year.

Another War Eagle here!!!!

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
yeah.....go kentucky wildcats.....

Notice my lack of caps in my previous sentence. Oh well, here's to getting a winning record.

Tony G

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still a Vol fan...though I've been exiled to South Carolina. With Spurrier gone, the Vols will be the team to beat in the SEC east this year, and I'll be in Athens to see the rematch (was in Knoxville for the humiliation last year). I'm only an hour or so away from Athens now.
Our game of the year this year will be Miami in Knoxville on Nov 9. I'll be in Knoxville for that one!
I also plan to check out a Clemson game this year, since I'm here.
Did I mention that I wear an orange UT scrub cap in the operating room? Can you tell I'm excited about football season?
Tony

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
It will be Nebraska or Oklahoma this year for sure!
I'd like to think so, but I have my misgivings about my beloved Huskers. The trips to Happy Valley and Iowa State could be very telling...
So far, they're kicking ass in NCAA College Football 2003, though. ;)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Tony G (and to all college football fans): The odd thing about the UT-Miami game is that it's our homecoming! I thought the idea for homecoming was to schedule some scrub team and whip 'em 58-0. At least, that was the policy while I was there. I recall the Oklahoma State homecoming game being a blowout.
Here's Tennessee's schedule this year (games in bold are conference games):
Aug 31 vs Wyoming
Sep 07 vs Middle Tenn. St.
Sep 21 vs Florida
Sep 28 vs Rutgers
Oct 05 vs Arkansas
Oct 12 at Georgia
Oct 26 vs Alabama
Nov 02 at South Carolina
Nov 09 vs Miami Fla
Nov 16 at Mississippi St.
Nov 23 at Vanderbilt
Nov 30 vs Kentucky
The SEC rules. I know this is an oft-argued item but what other conference has the most exciting college football? I really can't stress how much people love SEC football. If you've never been to an SEC game, you might want to give it a try. It's an experience like none other.

Check out this article on ESPN's website listing the top 10 college stadiums to go to for the scenery. Here's what Mel Kiper had to say about Neyland Stadium (UT Vols):
Not only is this a huge, intimidating stadium that is always filled to the rafters with a capacity of 104,079, but the views of the Tennessee River and surrounding area are worth making a trip to Knoxville alone. College football in Knoxville is a huge event. The air of excitement and anticipation is phenomenal.
True, so true. ;)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Good to see Mel recognizes the best helmet belongs to Michigan! As for stadiums, no argument on any of his picks.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
As a Purdue alumni, I have to have hope that this year will be a good one. I think they will surprise some people. The quarterback now has a season under his belt and will turn some heads and break some records.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Like about 100 other schools, little Boise State does not harbor any national championship hopes, but it is easy and affordable to see games and I try to get 2-3 homes games in a year.

Weather is always good and even the weather for a couple of Humanitarian Bowls in December has been sunny.

Got a new logo and got new turf! If you see a sports show talk about the wierd turf up in Boise you will know it is us. It is blue. Traditional? No. But indoor/outdoor carpet that is painted green is not my idea of traditional either. It comes with the yard markers painted on it so the ducks and geese don't come in for a swim.

We play on the road Arkansas, (ties to former coach Houston Nutt) Wyoming (first year)
Freso State at home. They are pissed at us because we beat them and their Heisman Trophy Quarterback last year in their home crib.

WAC. Not a top tier conference, but we have been picked by the sports writers to win it.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Yep, the SEC rules. Where else can you find so many great teams with so much tradition? Nobody does football like us southerners!
BTW Tony, as a Dawg fan, I've gotta disagree about the Vols being the team to beat in the east. We've got a lot of momentum this year. We've beat you guys two years in a row, Spurrier's gone, and we're returning a LOT of starters (including a very impressive young quarterback that you Vol fans know too well! :)). This could be the year of the Dawg!

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I am very excited about this college football season but as a Wolverine fan I can expect 2 heartbreaking loses to teams Michigan should never have lost to. Michigan will have an awesome defense but the offense should suffer a lot with the inexperienced WR and Navarre still leading the team.

I don't know who will win the National Championship but look out for FSU, last year they had A LOT of injuries on the offensive side and just as much inexperience. Rix is the real deal and should lead a tough Nols team.

Texas should win it all but with Mack Brown coaching the team and Simms leading the team I am not sure. That team has so much talent it is a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks