What's new

***Official Buffy Box Set Season 1 - 7 Discussion Thread (Spoilers ahoy!)*** (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Admin note: This thread is now designated the official Buffy box set discussion thread. The thread title will change as the Buffy box sets are released (in the US, we are aware there are non-Region 1 Buffy sets, please do not discuss plot points from those box sets, there's already a Buffytastic thread to cover most of the discussion up to the current season.)
2/13/06 Update: The above paragraph is out-of-date, so discuss away any and all things Buffy.
This thread is specifically to discuss the episodes found in the most current Buffy boxset released in Region 1, and that means Season 1 through 7. That means every episode from season 1 and 7 is fair game to be discussed, so be warned of this fact for this thread.
It's been some time now that all 7 seasons have made it to DVD, so everything is up for grabs in terms of discussion. Go nuts.

Is there any interest from anyone for a thread such as this, outside of the main Buffytastic thread, where we can discuss only the first two seasons of Buffy (and season 3, once season 3 comes out on DVD this winter)?
Like many (?) of you, I've only seen season 1 & 2 so far because these two seasons have been released on DVD thus far. I'd like to chat about it now and then. But the main Buffy thread is problematic in that the couple times I've visited it I've seen entire seasons of plot developments revealed, and that's just not good for me.
Before starting to discuss anything, let's hear from the Moderator and from you folks as to whether this idea is good or if it should have a visit from Mr. Pointy.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm closing this thread for the time being. I will discuss it with other mods and see how we want to proceed with this request. Stay tuned!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The thread is now opened for business. Please read the opening post for the scope of this thread. And please discuss only within the context of the episodes that have been released in the Buffy boxsets in Region 1.

Gary_E

Second Unit
I never watched Buffy but after seeing the enormous number of posts relating to the show, I had to see what it was all about. I bought the season one box set the weekend before the release of season two and I have to say it's a great show. I picked up season two the following Tuesday and have watched both sets twice.
As posters in the Buffy-tastic thread have stated, "it only gets better as the seasons go on", I am now anxiously awaiting further season releases. I'm not a big fan of TV box sets but this is one incredible presentation and I have HTF to thank for turning me on to it.

-Gary

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I caught a few episodes on FX after a buddy harshly berated me for not watching the show the first time around. After three or four, I was hooked. Now my wife is hooked as well. We just finished watching season two this past weekend. It was sooooo frickin' good! Unfortunately, I know most of the big events that have taken place in the following seasons, but I don't think that it will totally ruin my enjoyment of watching the episodes as they are so well-written. I can't wait until the Season 3 set! My wife has given me permission to run out and buy it the day it comes out. That's saying something, believe you me.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
So do I Pat. I really liked her character to. It is interesting though when a main character (I considered her a main) gets killed off. For those only familiar with Buffy through the DVD's (like me) I am sure it came as quite a shock. Does anyone know if they did it to advance the series moving it into a different direction or did the actress who played her quit (or get fired)?

BrandonM

Stunt Coordinator
I remember listening to the "Innocence" audio commentary and Joss Whedon saying they wanted to have Angel kill off a main character to show how evil he had become. It was between either Oz or Miss Calendar and because Oz was a more popular character, they chose Jenny. Joss goes on to mention how he much he misses working with Robia LaMorte (Jenny).

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I think "24" is what got me into Buffy - I hadn't watched a series "straight through" since childhood...until Fox came on with "24", which is serialized and therefore must be watched routinely. When "24" ended, I missed it, so I went and bought Buffy Season 2 based on how everyone here said it was the best. And it is!

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I too was a Buffy virgin.

I had heard bit and pieces about the show but I didn't want to watch it from the middle. So when the box set for season 1 came out I picked it up.

Season 1 was good but things really picked up in season 2. I plowed through season 2 last week. Even though I have a bunch of movies to watch I just wanted to watch Buffy. The whole Angel storyline was excellent. I also loved the fact that Xander and Cordelia hooked up. I hope they stay together.

Fortunately one of the cable stations is starting season 3 this week so I'll be able to persevere until the next set comes out.

Dones anyone know what season of Buffy that the Angel spin-off started?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Angel started at the same time as Buffy Season 4

Ahh, the innocent looks on your faces, remember your High Priest is here, should your faith in the perfection of Lord Whedon faulter in the slightest.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I just got into Buffy after watching a couple of episodes on FX. I got the 1st Season Box set this past Saturday and I am halfway through it. What a great show this is. I can't believe I just know started watching this. I will be picking up Season 2 shortly.
So far one of my favorite Buffy moments was at the begining of the Witch episode. When Giles is saying how he doesn't agree with joinging this "cult" and then they show Buffy in a cheerleading uniform. :laugh:
-Dean-

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Dones anyone know what season of Buffy that the Angel spin-off started?

Buffy Season 4 = Angel Season 1. The shows have pretty much stayed synchronized in their timelines.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Nonono, Season FIVE is the best (IMHO) -- actually, the last episode of S4 all the way to last of S5. Phenomenal -- I don't think there was one episode that didn't get to me that entire stretch.
Thanks goodness for a fast internet connection and P2P :) Sure wish Fox would release the seasons faster -- I got my mom hooked on the DVDs and she's now screaming for S3! What to do?!:frowning: :)
Still, S2 is friggin' outstanding, only slightly behind S5 in consistent quality. I was literally in tears through that last episode -- I've never seen a greater season cliffhanger for a show to that point; it even beat out S3 of Next Generation with the Borg!
BTVS is, in my opinion, the best multi-year show that's ever been produced, save one: Babylon 5.
And depending on how Lord (heh) Whedon handles S7, even that may fall!

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
It says in the 2nd season Buffy boxset that season 3 of Buffy will come out in the winter of 2003. At that rate season 4 of Buffy and season 1 of Angel probably won't arrive until next summer.

Still, FOX will have released 3 seasons in a year. This is pretty good although one wonders why the UK is so far ahead in this respect.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Still, FOX will have released 3 seasons in a year. This is pretty good although one wonders why the UK is so far ahead in this respect.
Because the UK has no syndication market with contracts that delay TV boxes. Season 6 is already basically out on VHS there, and the DVDs will be following before this time next year. Season 7 will probably come out on DVD simultaneously with VHS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks