What's new

Beware..the RIAA is getting into the hacking business... (1 Viewer)

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Scary.

Even though I don't think these attempts to control P2P piracy would be very successful if utilized, it's distressing that they're being seriously considered as a method.

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator
Nice to know that they plan on trying to shut down all P2P file sharing software, and damage the computers of those who use them. While lots of what is shared is copyrighted files, as much if not more of it is stuff that has no copywriters like someones garage band that just wanted to share the music to get exposure. Of course the RIAA hates that because they want to be the one to "announce" what is hot and the next big thing so that make sure they have them locked up in a contract first. If the other bill they talked about goes anyplace, the one about not letting you tape shows off TV or at least limiting it a lot, I have a feeling that the studios will find themselves back in the supreme court like what happened when they fought the battle over the VCR. What they don't seem to understand is that while some people do make copies of shows to sell or put on the net most people, myself included, tape them because we aren't home when the show is on. I also tape shows that I want to keep to just have, many that will never come out for sale. The ratings on many shows will drop if you can't record them. How many of the millions who watch Friends for example are watching when it actually aired? Maybe 60%, the rest are out doing other things and will watch it later that night or whenever. They never plan on selling it, just seeing it when they have the time. Sorry for the long rant but this just makes the blood boil.

Jeff Theobald

Auditioning
And how long would it be before they hacked into a corporate network because some employee was swapping files from a connected PC. Or maybe a state or federal employee.

How would they distinquish misuse from valid use since most of the P2P networks are also a venue for up and comin artists in addition to file swapping of copyrighted material.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I hope it passes. It's about time copyright holders had some way of enforcing their legal rights.

Craig_T

Second Unit
Didn't the RIAA try and attach this to some anti-terrorism bill that was passed earlier this year? I remember them strongly dening this and calling the whole thing ridiculous. I guess they just meant attaching it to the terrorism bill was ridiculous, not the idea itself. This bill says that if they accidently damage your equipment, and the damage is less than $250, well tough shit, you're out of luck and have no legal recourse. How about random searches of homes and businesses next? And if they accidently destroy a dozen of your DVDs, well, that's your damn problem. Big brother can't be bothered with such minor things.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Even if they do get the approval, this wont stop anything.
What I find funny (and pathetic) is that the music industry is trying everything in their power to stop the piracy of music, except for one thing... dropping prices.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I have never participated in the whole file-swapping craze, and never will. I feel copyrights should be protected, and that those who create music, books, movies, etc. should be fairly compensated for their work. I feel that the rampant file-swapping going on these days in many cases deprives artists of this compensation.

But let's be clear, the member companies of the RIAA were depriving artists of due compensation long before the first bytes went over the Internet. This legislation is NOT about protecting artists' rights, but about propping up a failing & often corrupt industry that has fallen way behind the technology curve and lost touch with its customers.

I am appalled by this proposed legislation, and I find it mind-boggling that sitting U.S. Congressmen are actually sponsoring it. Even if this bill somehow passes, surely they have to know that the Supreme Court will strike it down as soon as it crosses their docket (and it will, the EFF & ACLU will see to that).

I urge everyone who opposes this bill to write their Representative and let them know how you feel.

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator
What I find funny (and pathetic) is that the music industry is trying everything in their power to stop the piracy of music, except for one thing... dropping prices.
I agree. Consumers are sick of paying $15 for a CD with one or two good songs.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Consumers are sick of paying $15 for a CD with one or two good songs.
Nobody is forcing you to buy them. Lowering the price of CDs will do nothing to curb piracy.

Whether artists are being ripped off by their record companies is no one's business but their own, since they were the ones entering into the agreement. That has no bearing whatsoever on file sharing.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Well, not being a US resident, I'm sort of watching this mess from the sidelines, but I'd like ot urge all Americans reading this forum (the vast majority), to make as much noise as possible. Contact media outlets, civil rights associations, ANYONE who can help kill this before it's too late. I doubt it'll pass, but it could still happen.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
What is scary is that the RIAA and Congress can be in each other's pockets so deeply. Haven't the consumers been gouged enough with years, nay decades, of ridiculously high CD prices? I am all for artists getting their compensation, but if P2P file-swapping is causing studios pain, I rejoice. Let them feel what we've been feeling for 20 years: cheated and ripped off.

Bruce

Blu

Screenwriter
While in favor of copyright holders this is not a solution that anyone should be in favor of. This is very very dangerous territory and tramples all over your privacy.
Who is to watch the watchers?
What kind of countermeasures will be employeed to prevent people who want their stuff shared on P2P networks from getting banned and deleted?
What is to prevent consenting adults who do their own "movies" from getting their stuff censored?

This is not good and it will not stand.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I encourage all U.S. HTF members to write in to both your U.S. senators and your representative about this matter and make your voice known.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: In the RIAA's dreams.
[rant]The only reason that people are stealing music is because of the RIAA's INSANE prices on obsolete CD technology. [/rant]
Simply... the RIAA has no one to blame but themselves.
I personally don't listen to that much "current" music... so I have no real opinion ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks