Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Attention Akira Kurosawa Fans!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,898 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 06:59 AM

The Film Forum in NYC is having an almost two months long series of Akira Kurosawa/Toshiro Mifune films, all in brand new 35mm prints. For info click here.

Also, the Walter Reade Theater is showing Kurosawa's rarely seen Dersu Uzala in a brand new 35mm print as part of their Kino series. For more info click here. This series also contains all kinds of great movies. Most of them are very famous, but one less well known that I strongly recommend is Capitaine Conan.

I know that most of you, for reasons I fail to comprehend, don't live in New York, but in case you were planning an August vacation, this would be a fine reason to visit us.

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 08:32 AM

Ted

That is great news, about 3 months ago there was one in Glasgow and saw Sanjuro, Rashomon, Throne of Blood and Yoijimbo.

Too bad I cannot make it to NY.

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Ben Motley

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 04:29 PM

Bah! I can't find the story now, but Cowboy Pictures was supposed to be distributing a huge chunk of restored Kurosawa prints this summer to several cities. Maybe this is the beginning of that?

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 05:10 PM

Quote:
I know that most of you, for reasons I fail to comprehend, don't live in New York,

But it is always fun to visit it though. Posted Image You New Yorkers are so lucky to have these special treats. I know and I wish I'm there. Enjoy!

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 05:56 PM

See a movie, pay $25 to park and get mugged. Posted Image Truly life at it's finest.

But yes, it's days like this that we all envy you. Maybe I need to make that trip into NYC that I've been kicking around.

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 06:57 PM

Can't, broke. Got bit by the "I didn't put in my 60 days notice to vacate my apartment" bug. Posted Image

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,898 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 04:04 AM

Quote:
See a movie, pay $25 to park and get mugged. Truly life at it's finest.

Seth,

We don't pay $25 for parking because we don't own cars (we just listen to Car Talk) -- we walk or take the subway to the movies... And all the muggers were given the Rudy Guiliani treatment and have relocated to Peoria and Gary, Ind. Posted Image Seriously though, NYC has a lower per capita crime rate than the vast majority of bigger US cities and what crime there is tends to occur in neighborhoods without art film theaters. Indeed the crime rate on the Upper West Side and West Village/Soho where the two theaters mentioned are located is minuscule. I know you were kidding, but some myths die so hard, they do need to be dispelled.

Dome,

Here the landlord will probably pay you to vacate your apartment -- the sooner the better Posted Image

I don't know whether the Film Forum series is related to any nationwide release, but many films go elsewhere after playing the Film Forum.

Ted

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter

• 1,829 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 04:13 AM

Quote:
we walk or take the subway to the movies... And all the muggers were given the Rudy Guiliani treatment and have relocated to Peoria and Gary, Ind. Posted Image

Since I live right by Gary, IN I can tell you that all of the muggers were probably killed by all of the crack dealers. Posted Image

-Dean-

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 05:21 AM

I will certainly make it for a couple these. Assuming I can only watch 2 or 3 of these movies, which ones beside SS (my only Kurosawa :B) should I consider?

--
Holadem

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,898 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 06:23 AM

Yojimbo & High & Low are my personal favorites, but I haven't seen several, including Throne of Blood. I'd definitely see Dersu Uzala because the Walter Reade is a movie goer's paradise, IMHO the best movie house in NYC.

But you can't go wrong, really.

Ted

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 07:28 AM

Quote:
we walk or take the subway to the movies...

Of course, this is the preferable method of transportation. At least for me it is during my visits over there. I've actually gotten used to them. Ground transportation has gotten to be a pain around NYC.

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   Talal

Talal

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 06:15 PM

Quote:
Bah! I can't find the story now, but Cowboy Pictures was supposed to be distributing a huge chunk of restored Kurosawa prints this summer to several cities. Maybe this is the beginning of that?

Yes.. these are those new 35mm prints, with new subtitles as well. HIGH and LOW... HERE I COME!!!
C'mon Criterion, now you have a pristine print to make an anamorphic disc of HIGH AND LOW with....

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   Colin-H

Colin-H

Second Unit

• 391 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 11:14 AM

I am so excited about this. I am going to catch every film I can. That's 9 of them, I think.
"At least Kurosawa doesn't give his samurai hairstyles that make them look like drug dealers from some intergalactic trailer park, as Mr. Lucas did with Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker."

DVD List | 2003 film list

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,898 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 11:47 AM

Just saw Throne of Blood Definitely the best (and indeed a very faithful) filmed adaptation of Macbeth I have ever seen. Lady Macbeth in particular was spine chillingly evil. And the Spider Web's forest really did seem alive.

Ted

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   Rob Daniel

Rob Daniel

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted July 28 2002 - 02:06 PM

For those in the DC area, these will also be playing at the AFI theater at the Kennedy Center. You can get a schedule in PDF form here . The restored version of Fritz Lang's Metropolis is also playing there until August 8.

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   Ben Motley

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted July 29 2002 - 11:46 AM

WAHHHH!!!! Somebody please post info about other locations, such as, in Texas. I went to Cowboy Pictures website but they had no info. Posted Image

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,898 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 06:14 AM

I saw Dersu Uzala yesterday, and all I can say is WOW! The movie is shot in eastern Siberia and it is incredibly beautiful. The actor playing the title role (making his film debut at 64) just lives the part. There are some shots that have to be seen to be believed, like one great scene where the sun and moon are both up high in the sky.

The new print was good, but the negative is in need of restoration.

Ted

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 07:50 AM

Quote:
C'mon Criterion, now you have a pristine print to make an anamorphic disc of HIGH AND LOW with....
This is one of the very few Criterions that I truly consider overpriced. I knew the deal going in, and still made the purchase, however. And I’ll probably buy the ‘new and improved’ version as well.
¡Time is not my master!

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 09:01 AM

Quote:
I know that most of you, for reasons I fail to comprehend, don't live in New York,

Because my 2-bedroom $450/month apartment in upstate New York would cost me at least $3000/month* in NYC

*All prices reflect both on-line and newspaper-based "apartments for rent" classifieds for Manhattan. Other burroughs may or may-not be cheaper. All prices based on similar square footage and accessories. Prices and participation may vary. See Dealer for details.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted August 05 2002 - 09:25 AM

This is when I envy you New Yorkers. Posted Image

Hopefully these Kurosawa prints will make its way to Chi-town sometime.

Ted,

How was the print quality on Throne of Blood?
Death before Streaming!

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow