What's new

Darren Aronofsky's sci-fi epic "The Fountain" set to go (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
---
'Fountain' Flowing with Pitt, Blanchett

Warner Bros. Pictures has given its long-awaited greenlight to "Pi" director Darren Aronofsky's sci-fi epic "The Fountain," which will star Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett and Ellen Burstyn.
Budgeted north of $70 million, the picture will begin production in late October in Queensland and Sydney, Australia. Fox-based New Regency will co-finance the film.
While the script has been kept under wraps, it's safe to say that "The Fountain" is the sort of film that defies easy loglines. It's the journey of one man (Pitt) in the present as well as both 500 years in the past and into the future. Among the issues it tackles are love, death and immortality.
---
IMDB also had this to say:
Brad Moans Down Under
Hollywood star Brad Pitt has upset residents of an Australian tourist resort - by refusing to shoot his new movie there. The movie star is moving Down Under for six months while he makes new film The Fountain, with Cate Blanchett and Johnny Depp, there. The film was due to be shot in studios on Queensland's Gold Coast - but according to British tabloid the Daily Mirror, Brad has been urging movie bosses to move the shoot to nearby Cairns, because he thinks the Gold Coast is "a shlocky tourist area". A source told the newspaper, "Brad, who was introduced to Cairns by Keanu Reeves said it had great food, great ambience and the locals leave you alone because they're used to big names." The Mexican star isn't the only big Hollywood name to disapprove of the West Coast resort. Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr.vowed never too return after shooting the Scooby-Doo movie on the Gold Coast.
---
Johnny Depp too? Hard to believe he'd leave France for that long.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
ANYTHING made by Aronofsky is a must-see for me. Knowing that it has capable actors like Pitt, Blanchett and Burstyn makes it even more mouth-watering. Aronofsky seems to be alot like Oliver Stone in his ability to pull incredible performances out of the cast and I can't wait to see what he and Brad Pitt can accomplish.

Bruce

MikeRS

Screenwriter
As I said in the REQUIEM FOR A DREAM thread, I am so excited Hollywood has actually greenlit this picture, trusting a respected indie director with 70+ million.
:emoji_thumbsup:
I cannot wait.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have to say, somehting about "Aronofsky," "Sci-Fi" and "Epic" in the same sentence makes me nervous. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm curious if this is an original story, or if it is based on something else. It makes me think of both Vonnegutt and Heinlein.

MikeRS

Screenwriter
It's an original story he co-wrote with a buddy from college:

I call it post-Matrix because Matrix reinvented sci-fi in the same way Star Wars did, or 2001. I'm in a new environment, I'm trying to figure out what type of film would play to an audience now, and I think we came up with something really cool. I've been writing it with the smartest guy I've ever met, he was one of my college roommates and he just graduated. He got his PhD. in neuroscience from NYU, and he was telling me how he doesn't want to do research anymore. So I said, "you wanna write?", and he's so brilliant he could do anything, so I brought him on and we've been collaborating.

andreasingo

Stunt Coordinator
A scifi movie made by someone that has ambition always keeps my excitment up.

I hope Aronofsky knows what he's doing, he have never made a scifi movie before.

I could be a disaster or better than A.I (which I love)

I wish him luck.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
While I am sure he is capable of pulling a large scale production off ... I am afraid he is going to make a "dark" movie ... if going by his past efforts.

I hope he lightens up a little bit or this movie might be the last one he makes on a large budget.

The whole plot reminds me of 12 Monkeys ... and Pitts involvement too.

Still looking forward to this.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Wow. It really sounds like this movie could be over before it really got off the ground. Too bad. Seemed interesting.

Nick C.

Second Unit
Saw this photo over at the IMDb boards, thought it would be of interest to Aronofsky/Requiem fans
*tear drops from corner of eye*
It looks like it's actually filming. Sure hopes it gets released soon, it seems very few exciting young American auteurs currently have creative inspiration/funding for new projects (Fincher, PT Anderson). At least Payne and Wes Anderson got something out this year

Nick C.

Second Unit
Rachel Weisz has been doing some plugs for CONSTANTINE, in the process, letting out some information on THE FOUNTAIN...
Also, shooting hasn't yet completed, but in an article in the Montreal Gazette from Feb 5, we get some more interesting updates. An excerpt:
There has been much speculation about just how far-out The Fountain's script is, but Aronofsky - whose previous films include the critically acclaimed Pi and Requiem for a Dream - said it's really a simple story.
"It's about a man searching for the fountain of youth who discovers his own mortality," Aronofsky said. "It's about a man who's in love with a woman who's dying and he's doing everything in his power to save her. By trying to save her, he learns to deal with his own death. It's a simple love story, but it's just told in a psychedelic science-fiction fashion."
One of Aronofsky's inspirations was David Bowie's song Space Oddity. He is in talks with Bowie about having the rock icon write and perform a new song for the film about the further misadventures of Space Oddity's protagonist, Major Tom.
Reminding me more and more of 2001ASO.. Can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks