Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Darren Aronofsky's sci-fi epic "The Fountain" set to go

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
447 replies to this topic

#1 of 448 OFFLINE   Vickie_M

Vickie_M

Producer

• 3,208 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 04:17 AM

---

'Fountain' Flowing with Pitt, Blanchett

Warner Bros. Pictures has given its long-awaited greenlight to "Pi" director Darren Aronofsky's sci-fi epic "The Fountain," which will star Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett and Ellen Burstyn.

Budgeted north of $70 million, the picture will begin production in late October in Queensland and Sydney, Australia. Fox-based New Regency will co-finance the film.

While the script has been kept under wraps, it's safe to say that "The Fountain" is the sort of film that defies easy loglines. It's the journey of one man (Pitt) in the present as well as both 500 years in the past and into the future. Among the issues it tackles are love, death and immortality.

---

IMDB also had this to say:

Brad Moans Down Under

Hollywood star Brad Pitt has upset residents of an Australian tourist resort - by refusing to shoot his new movie there. The movie star is moving Down Under for six months while he makes new film The Fountain, with Cate Blanchett and Johnny Depp, there. The film was due to be shot in studios on Queensland's Gold Coast - but according to British tabloid the Daily Mirror, Brad has been urging movie bosses to move the shoot to nearby Cairns, because he thinks the Gold Coast is "a shlocky tourist area". A source told the newspaper, "Brad, who was introduced to Cairns by Keanu Reeves said it had great food, great ambience and the locals leave you alone because they're used to big names." The Mexican star isn't the only big Hollywood name to disapprove of the West Coast resort. Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr.vowed never too return after shooting the Scooby-Doo movie on the Gold Coast.

---

Johnny Depp too? Hard to believe he'd leave France for that long.
Favorite film of 2008 (so far): The Fall

Favorite films of 2007: There Will Be Blood, Across The Universe, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, Black Snake Moan

My Happy Rhodes MySpace page

#2 of 448 OFFLINE   Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 05:54 AM

ANYTHING made by Aronofsky is a must-see for me. Knowing that it has capable actors like Pitt, Blanchett and Burstyn makes it even more mouth-watering. Aronofsky seems to be alot like Oliver Stone in his ability to pull incredible performances out of the cast and I can't wait to see what he and Brad Pitt can accomplish.

Bruce
The Mads are calling

#3 of 448 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,424 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted July 25 2002 - 09:25 AM

Quote:
The Mexican star isn't the only big Hollywood name to disapprove of the West Coast resort

I didn't realize Brad Pitt was Mexican Posted Image

"Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#4 of 448 OFFLINE   MikeRS

MikeRS

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 10:17 AM

As I said in the REQUIEM FOR A DREAM thread, I am so excited Hollywood has actually greenlit this picture, trusting a respected indie director with 70+ million.

Posted Image

I cannot wait.

#5 of 448 OFFLINE   Ben Motley

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 04:23 PM

Neat!! I can't wait. Posted Image

#6 of 448 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 04:38 PM

This sounds VERY interesting! Can't wait...

#7 of 448 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,576 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 06:41 AM

I have to say, somehting about "Aronofsky," "Sci-Fi" and "Epic" in the same sentence makes me nervous. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm curious if this is an original story, or if it is based on something else. It makes me think of both Vonnegutt and Heinlein.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#8 of 448 OFFLINE   MikeRS

MikeRS

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 08:46 AM

It's an original story he co-wrote with a buddy from college:

Quote:
I have a project which I set up at Warner Brothers last week which is an original science fiction film I've been writing for the last eleven months, which is awesome. I've been pitching it as a post-Matrix, metaphysical Sci-Fi movie, and it's very different to anything you've seen. This would make a great comic book, this thing I'm writing now. But it's very ambitious.

Quote:
I call it post-Matrix because Matrix reinvented sci-fi in the same way Star Wars did, or 2001. I'm in a new environment, I'm trying to figure out what type of film would play to an audience now, and I think we came up with something really cool. I've been writing it with the smartest guy I've ever met, he was one of my college roommates and he just graduated. He got his PhD. in neuroscience from NYU, and he was telling me how he doesn't want to do research anymore. So I said, "you wanna write?", and he's so brilliant he could do anything, so I brought him on and we've been collaborating.

#9 of 448 OFFLINE   Aaron Wisner

Aaron Wisner

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 06:45 PM

what happened to Year One? Posted Image

#10 of 448 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted July 27 2002 - 07:12 PM

Quote:
what happened to Year One?

The Wolfgang Petersen-helmed Superman/Batman movie happened.

DJ

#11 of 448 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted July 28 2002 - 01:01 AM

Quote:
The Wolfgang Petersen-helmed Superman/Batman movie happened.

I think WB also got spooked by Aronofsky's plans for Batman. I remember reading that his main ideas were going to be to move the setting to the 1970s and go for an R rating.

#12 of 448 OFFLINE   andreasingo

andreasingo

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted July 28 2002 - 07:07 AM

A scifi movie made by someone that has ambition always keeps my excitment up.

I hope Aronofsky knows what he's doing, he have never made a scifi movie before.

I could be a disaster or better than A.I (which I love)

I wish him luck.
Andreas Ingo

#13 of 448 OFFLINE   Aaron Wisner

Aaron Wisner

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted July 28 2002 - 01:07 PM

well crap. i was rather looking foward to year one.

weak.

#14 of 448 OFFLINE   Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted July 28 2002 - 01:33 PM

While I am sure he is capable of pulling a large scale production off ... I am afraid he is going to make a "dark" movie ... if going by his past efforts.

I hope he lightens up a little bit or this movie might be the last one he makes on a large budget.

The whole plot reminds me of 12 Monkeys ... and Pitts involvement too.

Still looking forward to this.

#15 of 448 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted July 28 2002 - 03:28 PM

Aurel Savin wrote:

Quote:
The whole plot reminds me of 12 Monkeys ... and Pitts involvement too.

Sorry, did I miss something? What is this movie supposed to be about? I don't need to read the screenplay, I just need a general outline.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#16 of 448 OFFLINE   Vickie_M

Vickie_M

Producer

• 3,208 posts

Posted August 30 2002 - 11:43 AM

Oh man, this seems to be in trouble. Word is that Brad Pitt walked off the film.

http://www.aint-it-c...ay.cgi?id=13144
Favorite film of 2008 (so far): The Fall

Favorite films of 2007: There Will Be Blood, Across The Universe, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, Black Snake Moan

My Happy Rhodes MySpace page

#17 of 448 OFFLINE   Vlad D

Vlad D

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted August 30 2002 - 12:25 PM

Wow. It really sounds like this movie could be over before it really got off the ground. Too bad. Seemed interesting.

#18 of 448 OFFLINE   Nick C.

Nick C.

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted December 31 2004 - 07:48 PM

Saw this photo over at the IMDb boards, thought it would be of interest to Aronofsky/Requiem fans

*tear drops from corner of eye*

It looks like it's actually filming. Sure hopes it gets released soon, it seems very few exciting young American auteurs currently have creative inspiration/funding for new projects (Fincher, PT Anderson). At least Payne and Wes Anderson got something out this year
later Pooh...

#19 of 448 OFFLINE   AlexCremers

AlexCremers

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted January 01 2005 - 02:30 AM

It's the journey of one man (Pitt) in the present as well as both 500 years in the past and into the future. Among the issues it tackles are love, death and immortality.

And the occasional decapitating of a head, maybe?

#20 of 448 OFFLINE   Nick C.

Nick C.

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted February 06 2005 - 07:34 PM

Rachel Weisz has been doing some plugs for CONSTANTINE, in the process, letting out some information on THE FOUNTAIN...

Also, shooting hasn't yet completed, but in an article in the Montreal Gazette from Feb 5, we get some more interesting updates. An excerpt:
Quote:
...Jackman, co-stars Rachel Weisz and Ellen Burstyn, filmmaker Darren Aronofsky and the rest of the crew have been holed up in the spacious, state-of-the-art studios at Mel's Cite du Cinema in the Technoparc for almost the entire shoot. They did one scene in a snowy field in Oka and another at the Museum of Fine Arts, which stood in for a natural-history museum in Philadelphia. But virtually everything else has been filmed in studio, mostly at Mel's and a bit at a studio in Lachine.

In an interview at Mel's Thursday, Jackman was not complaining about the lack of shooting outside on the chilly streets of Montreal.

"Being an Australian and coming to the Montreal winter, it's terrific to be shooting inside," Jackman said. "There was one scene in Oka and it was so cold." He couldn't take refuge inside because he had to avoid leaving footprints in the snow that would show up in the shot. "I was digging through the snow and I was just so cold."

Jackman has been chosen by People magazine on several occasions as one of the sexiest men in the world, but the 6-foot-2 Tony Award-winning actor looked more like a homeless person Thursday. He had long, straggly hair, a bushy, unkempt beard and moustache, and was wearing a tracksuit that looked like it had seen better days.

He had been shooting a scene in which...

he plays a 16th-century conquistador who nearly drops dead when he discovers the mythical Tree of Life. The tree itself stretches nearly to the ceiling of the gargantuan studio and is surrounded by a shallow pond.

It is a key scene in The Fountain, a strange, ambitious film that spans several centuries and sets out to ask some big questions about life, death and love. Director Aronofsky penned the script, telling the story of a modern-day scientist, the aforementioned conquistador 400 years in the past, and a 26th-century astronaut flying through space in a vessel that looks more like a gigantic tree than the Starship Enterprise. Jackman plays all three characters.
There has been much speculation about just how far-out The Fountain's script is, but Aronofsky - whose previous films include the critically acclaimed Pi and Requiem for a Dream - said it's really a simple story.

"It's about a man searching for the fountain of youth who discovers his own mortality," Aronofsky said. "It's about a man who's in love with a woman who's dying and he's doing everything in his power to save her. By trying to save her, he learns to deal with his own death. It's a simple love story, but it's just told in a psychedelic science-fiction fashion."

One of Aronofsky's inspirations was David Bowie's song Space Oddity. He is in talks with Bowie about having the rock icon write and perform a new song for the film about the further misadventures of Space Oddity's protagonist, Major Tom.
Reminding me more and more of 2001ASO.. Can't wait!
later Pooh...

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow