What's new

"Boy is my face red!" Name your worst thread disasters. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
In light of my recent car crash of a thread about Julia Roberts :b, i'd like to hear about threads that you may have started in the past that just crashed and burned like the Hindenburg. "Oh the humanity!"
I get the feeling that i'm going to get a lot of people who started threads about D-VHS. ;)
I'm looking for threads in particular that turned out so bad that they got closed, not one's that were boring or one's nobody replied to. Oh, what the hell, name those too! :)
Shoot.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I started a thread that mnay people embraced, and I thought served an interesting and worthwhile purpose. Others disagreed It resulted in the mod who closed it calling it an abortion!!! :frowning:
To witness the carnage first-hand, click the link:
The Blockbuster Backlash Thread

MikeM

Screenwriter
Well, I started a thread that had a picture warning people not to do a certain "personal" thing, or else a certain someone would kill a cute little certain type of pet. (Sorry, I want to be super vague so I don't ruffle any feathers)
I thought it was funny, but then again, most people think I'm a moron. :D
$10 bucks says that this thread leads down that exact same path....doh! ;)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I'd have to say the thread I started about hearing and seeing ancient radio and television transmissions.

No one took it seriously and basically crapped on it.

I don't think it was locked down but the mockery that was made of it was annoying as hell to be honest.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Very early in my HTF career, I got into a spat with another member. I was having a lively discussion and posted what I thought was a concise, well thought out argument. He flipped and apparently posted a nasty, flame ridden response. Within short order he had edited his post, but the thread was closed anyway.

Both of our accounts were suspended for something like an hour, and email was sent out to us warning us not to do it again. I, unfortunately, was at work and did not get this email, nor did I even notice my account had been suspended. By the time I logged on again later that day, it had been reinstated and I was none the wiser.

So I noticed the thread had been closed and another had started where our little spat quickly became the topic of conversation. I replied and said something like, "Uh oh. I hope I didn't get that thread closed?" I then went on to explain my post and why I didn't think I was responsible.

Got home later that evening to a scathing email from, if I remember correctly, Parker. The first one was a warning. The second went along the lines of, "We suspend you for this and now you're at it again?! I've deleted your post, if it happens again, you're gone for good."

Oops. I quickly apologized, groveled, and begged for forgiveness. I had no idea I had caused problems.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Last year I started a thread called "Is Marianne too Sexy for the HTF?" which had a few responses before a mod who we shall refer to as 'Cees' ;) put a padlock on it.
It was a fun topic and Marianne had a good laugh with it (I hope), now the classic bit was Pat Sun's contribution which had me rolling on the floor for 5mins and also sealed the threads fate...:D

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
In before the lock:D ...my Who's got the biggest forehead? thread drummed up 0 responses and a closure, beat that! I thought it funny that it was locked though, being as I started it in response to a post where some mentioned the size Christina Ricci's dome. I'm forever scarred but deservedly so

DennisHP

Second Unit
I think I remember a thread asking which admin had closed the most threads but before I could find out the thread was closed!

Cam S

Screenwriter
Well, I started a thread that had a picture warning people not to do a certain "personal" thing, or else a certain someone would kill a cute little certain type of pet. (Sorry, I want to be super vague so I don't ruffle any feathers)
Hahaha, I think that picture and quote are funny as all hell!!!
I myself havn't started any threads that have been closed or blown up, but my favorite thread were any that Bob_A was involved with, dam I miss him sometimes, always provided me with a good laugh :D

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Guess I'll add my two cents before this thing gets closed. ;) Last year I made a post about the great live concert recordings I had made with my new MiniDisc recorder. Within five minutes, I had been flamed and the thread closed. The moderator e-mailed me and told me that my account was suspended until I apologized profusely and that the only reason I wasn't given the permanent boot was because I was a fellow Mac user. :laugh:

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
IBTL. ;)
I had a thread about the government's. .... um.... policies on alcohol and the legal age, and it was deleted within two replies! :D

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Edit: Sorry Patrick, I'll nip this one before it leads to any issues. I dont think I've ever been the cause of a thread being closed myself.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Let's keep this to threads you personally had a part in, and not drag up threads started up by others.

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
My thread bashing the Italian movie "Salo", everytime I look at that thread I think " What the hell was I on? "

"In before the lock?" You have to be kidding.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
IBTL!

I started a thread after Michael Schumacher won the F1 World Driver's Championship in 2000. He clinched by winning the second to last race of the season which happened to be the Japanese Grand Prix that year.

I watched the race live, and it started at 1 or 2 in the morning. It was the first World Drivers Championship for Ferrari since 1979. As a long suffering Ferrari fan since the early 1980s I was needless to say ecstatic. I started the thread as soon as the race was over, with all the text in Ferrari Red as a celebration.

The next day when I checked the thread and apparently there had been some nastiness. My thread was edited with spoiler tags, some other posts had been edited after some people had apparently called me nasty names.

Even though the race was shown live and was over and a matter of history, some "fans" didn't stay to see it but instead taped it or were planning to watch a later replay and were upset that my topic header gave the result away.

Although with hindsight I should have warned of spoilers, it did not occur to me that anyone who cared enough about the result to get angry over the result spoiled wouldn't have stayed up to watch the race!

Gui A

Supporting Actor
One of the first threads I started involved scamming Blockbuster... It was deleted and I got a warning email.
I've played nice ever since!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks