What's new

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA at NYC's Ziegfeld Theater in September! (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Just got word from a trusted source in the theater biz that David Lean's epic LAWRENCE OF ARABIA is scheduled to play at New York's Ziegfeld Theater starting on September 20th, 2002. The presentation will be of a new 70mm print with, most likely, DTS sound. Anybody who's ever seen LAWRENCE on the big screen knows what a treat this will be to experience once again. Let's just hope that this new print corrects the deficiencies on the DVD with regards to color balance and the altered music cues. Mr. Robert A. Harris - did they contact you and get your input on these new prints?

It's also scheduled to open the same day at LA's Cinerama Dome and sometime this fall at Chicago's Music Box Theater. The run at the Ziegfeld is open-ended, so see it early and often.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
What, It's not playing at the Loews Jersey?:frowning:
I'll be there Pete, but knowing how you feel about the Ziegfeld, will you?;)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Would love to see this here in the Twin Cities, MN. Alas, we're da boondocks out here, not much comes our way.

This film demands to be seen on the big screen and now in all of its aural glory. My 24" Wega just doesn't cut it when it comes to this masterpiece.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Peter Kim,

Didn't 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY play up in the Twin Cities in the spring? You should try to contact that same theater and see if they'd book LAWRENCE as well.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Is this still confirmed for the Los Angeles Cinerama Dome?

Anyone know where I can get further information on this? I sure as heck don't want to lose out on seeing this!

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Superb Peter! I actually found this a few minutes after my post (I had searched before in vain), but thanks for the very quick reply!
Oh my, I just can't wait! After all this time I will finally be able to see the best movie ever made in its full 70mm glory!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

It appears to be showing only on Wednesday, September 25th. No problem. An afternoon off from work is clearly in order! :)
Anyone else in the So Cal area going to make it to this showing?

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
According to a Link Removed I often consult on the web, Lawrence is playing on 9/20 at the Senator in Baltimore. Great news, since I haven't seen this on a big screen in years, and it wasn't all that big (AFI's theater at the Kennedy Center in D.C.). Wasn't in 70mm either. Sweet.
--Jefferson Morris

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
It appears to be showing only on Wednesday, September 25th. No problem. An afternoon off from work is clearly in order!
Actually, it's scheduled to run for two weeks starting September 20. The Arclight's web site leaves much to be desired as far as advanced bookings are concerned (I STILL haven't successfully to sign in as a member).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You might wish to check with the theatres, but I believe that NY and LA have been put off until the 25th at the request of Paramount, as they didn't want two desert pictures in theatres at the same time...

The public is easily confused apparently.

The film will go Minneapolis in 70mm.

I screened at print last week courtesy of the Crown Theatre in Greenwich, CT. and did some final color and density correction.

The technical end of the release has been sheparded by Columbia's Asset Protection exec, Grover Crisp, who has been working very hard with the lab to make the release as perfect as possible. His attention to detail is appreciated.

Prints will be produced both in DTS 70 and 6 track magnetic.

RAH

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
Well, then, I may have to see it the same day I'll catch 2001 and Hello Dolly at the Egyptian. And that's probably WAY too much movies in one day, even for me.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I screened at print last week courtesy of the Crown Theatre in Greenwich, CT. and did some final color and density correction.
I couldn't be happier that you have been consulted on this 70mm re-release Mr. Harris! Your work in the restoration of this great movie is extremely appreciated, to say the least!

What was your overall opinion of the 70mm print that you screened last week? How much color and density correction was required?

I still can't believe that I will finally see this great movie in 70mm! My tickets (reserved seating) have already been confirmed!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The print that I viewed last week had a tendency leaning toward yellow, but nothing that would be noticed by a general audience. Several shots and sequences needed density modification, but overall the print was glorious.

Columbia's Grover Crisp and CFI/Technicolor have been working extremely hard to make the prints as perfect as possible.

I've said this many times in the past.

I'm extremely jealous of anyone seeing this film for the first time in 70mm.

Enjoy.

RAH

DeeF

Screenwriter
Mr. Harris,

I was at the first showing of the restored movie, at the Ziegfield in the summer of 1988, and it was splendid, I must say.

One question: have you made any additional restorative changes to the movie since that time? Was there anything that you didn't get to do the first time around, but we'll now be seeing?

Just musing about this: I'm very excited to go again.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
I'm planning to see that with my mom...she likes these old epic movies. But, I'm interested to see it because I have never seen a movie in 70mm before, and not Lawrence. So, wouldn't this tecnically be a roadshow peformance of old I've heard so much about? Now if only they were showing Cleopatra....:)

SteveP

Second Unit
LAWRENCE has an overture, an intermission, entr'ace music and I believe exit music. The 1988 restoration was presented with intermission, so for all intents and purposes, it is a duplicate of the roadshow presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks