Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA at NYC's Ziegfeld Theater in September!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
104 replies to this topic

#1 of 105 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,574 posts

Posted July 24 2002 - 01:42 PM

Just got word from a trusted source in the theater biz that David Lean's epic LAWRENCE OF ARABIA is scheduled to play at New York's Ziegfeld Theater starting on September 20th, 2002. The presentation will be of a new 70mm print with, most likely, DTS sound. Anybody who's ever seen LAWRENCE on the big screen knows what a treat this will be to experience once again. Let's just hope that this new print corrects the deficiencies on the DVD with regards to color balance and the altered music cues. Mr. Robert A. Harris - did they contact you and get your input on these new prints?

It's also scheduled to open the same day at LA's Cinerama Dome and sometime this fall at Chicago's Music Box Theater. The run at the Ziegfeld is open-ended, so see it early and often.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#2 of 105 Jason_Els

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

• 1,096 posts

Posted July 24 2002 - 04:01 PM

Sweet!
For beauty is only a step removed from a burning terror we barely sustain, and we worship it for the graceful sublimity with which it disdains to consume us. - Rainer Maria Rilke

My DVD Collection

#3 of 105 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 4,999 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted July 24 2002 - 09:43 PM

What, It's not playing at the Loews Jersey?Posted Image

I'll be there Pete, but knowing how you feel about the Ziegfeld, will you?Posted Image
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#4 of 105 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,574 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 12:34 AM

Quote:
I'll be there Pete, but knowing how you feel about the Ziegfeld, will you?

Posted Image I still love the Ziegfeld. And I'm certainly not going to let let one less-than-perfect presentation last year keep me away (if I did that, I'd *never* be able to see a movie in theater anymore) from LAWRENCE. Besides, we know a couple of VP's at Clearview Cinemas and we made our concerns very vocal after that experience. From what we understand, they're going to treat this showing as something special, so I don't think they will be showing advert slides and rap music (their usual modus operendi ) before LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.

We're also trying to get them to play the restored METROPOLIS for a week or so - they have an empty week right before LAWRENCE.

Quote:
What, It's not playing at the Loews Jersey?
No air conditioning - too hot in September. I forget if they have 70mm capability, though.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#5 of 105 Peter Kim

Peter Kim

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 03:30 AM

Would love to see this here in the Twin Cities, MN. Alas, we're da boondocks out here, not much comes our way.

This film demands to be seen on the big screen and now in all of its aural glory. My 24" Wega just doesn't cut it when it comes to this masterpiece.
my girls rock Balenciaga & smoke mad marijuana - M.O.B.

#6 of 105 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,574 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 01:36 AM

Peter Kim,

Didn't 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY play up in the Twin Cities in the spring? You should try to contact that same theater and see if they'd book LAWRENCE as well.

#7 of 105 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted September 10 2002 - 04:36 PM

Is this still confirmed for the Los Angeles Cinerama Dome?

Anyone know where I can get further information on this? I sure as heck don't want to lose out on seeing this!

For ordinary men, it's a burning, fiery furnace.

#8 of 105 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,574 posts

Posted September 10 2002 - 05:01 PM

Rob:

www.arclightcinemas.com

Look on the right-hand side for the good news for you!

#9 of 105 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted September 10 2002 - 05:29 PM

Superb Peter! I actually found this a few minutes after my post (I had searched before in vain), but thanks for the very quick reply!

Oh my, I just can't wait! After all this time I will finally be able to see the best movie ever made in its full 70mm glory! Posted Image

It appears to be showing only on Wednesday, September 25th. No problem. An afternoon off from work is clearly in order! Posted Image

Anyone else in the So Cal area going to make it to this showing?

#10 of 105 Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 05:11 AM

According to a film release schedule I often consult on the web, Lawrence is playing on 9/20 at the Senator in Baltimore. Great news, since I haven't seen this on a big screen in years, and it wasn't all that big (AFI's theater at the Kennedy Center in D.C.). Wasn't in 70mm either. Sweet.

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#11 of 105 Paul Linfesty

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 04:15 PM

Quote:
It appears to be showing only on Wednesday, September 25th. No problem. An afternoon off from work is clearly in order!

Actually, it's scheduled to run for two weeks starting September 20. The Arclight's web site leaves much to be desired as far as advanced bookings are concerned (I STILL haven't successfully to sign in as a member).

#12 of 105 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,298 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 01:05 AM

You might wish to check with the theatres, but I believe that NY and LA have been put off until the 25th at the request of Paramount, as they didn't want two desert pictures in theatres at the same time...

The public is easily confused apparently.

The film will go Minneapolis in 70mm.

I screened at print last week courtesy of the Crown Theatre in Greenwich, CT. and did some final color and density correction.

The technical end of the release has been sheparded by Columbia's Asset Protection exec, Grover Crisp, who has been working very hard with the lab to make the release as perfect as possible. His attention to detail is appreciated.

Prints will be produced both in DTS 70 and 6 track magnetic.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#13 of 105 Paul Linfesty

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 03:08 AM

Well, then, I may have to see it the same day I'll catch 2001 and Hello Dolly at the Egyptian. And that's probably WAY too much movies in one day, even for me.

#14 of 105 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 04:29 AM

Quote:
I screened at print last week courtesy of the Crown Theatre in Greenwich, CT. and did some final color and density correction.

I couldn't be happier that you have been consulted on this 70mm re-release Mr. Harris! Your work in the restoration of this great movie is extremely appreciated, to say the least!

What was your overall opinion of the 70mm print that you screened last week? How much color and density correction was required?

I still can't believe that I will finally see this great movie in 70mm! My tickets (reserved seating) have already been confirmed!

#15 of 105 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 23,892 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 12 2002 - 05:14 AM

I made a call and LOA is indeed moved back to 9-25-02, at least in LA.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#16 of 105 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,298 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 09:13 AM

The print that I viewed last week had a tendency leaning toward yellow, but nothing that would be noticed by a general audience. Several shots and sequences needed density modification, but overall the print was glorious.

Columbia's Grover Crisp and CFI/Technicolor have been working extremely hard to make the prints as perfect as possible.

I've said this many times in the past.

I'm extremely jealous of anyone seeing this film for the first time in 70mm.

Enjoy.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#17 of 105 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 02:08 PM

Quote:
Enjoy.

You can be sure that I will, Mr. Harris! Posted Image

Glad to know that overall the print looked "Glorious"!

Did I mention before that I can't wait for the 25th?

#18 of 105 DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 06:17 AM

Mr. Harris,

I was at the first showing of the restored movie, at the Ziegfield in the summer of 1988, and it was splendid, I must say.

One question: have you made any additional restorative changes to the movie since that time? Was there anything that you didn't get to do the first time around, but we'll now be seeing?

Just musing about this: I'm very excited to go again.

#19 of 105 Jason Adams

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor

• 630 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 01:14 PM

I'm planning to see that with my mom...she likes these old epic movies. But, I'm interested to see it because I have never seen a movie in 70mm before, and not Lawrence. So, wouldn't this tecnically be a roadshow peformance of old I've heard so much about? Now if only they were showing Cleopatra....Posted Image

#20 of 105 SteveP

SteveP

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 01:57 PM

LAWRENCE has an overture, an intermission, entr'ace music and I believe exit music. The 1988 restoration was presented with intermission, so for all intents and purposes, it is a duplicate of the roadshow presentation.

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow