What's new

DVDs with good surround effects: Which one should be the first? (1 Viewer)

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
I am going to be setting up (hopefully) my first surround sound system in the next week or so and was wondering which dvd I should watch first? Only will be able to decode dolby digital and will have 5 speakers but no subwoofer. Here is a link to my collection or if you have any suggestions of something I should get.
Thanks

John Gallagher

Auditioning
I always demo my surround sound with Teminator 2: Judgement Day. The initial future war scene has great directional effects tied to the onscreen action. Also if you want to hear an aggressive and unsubtle 5.1 mix check-out Atlantis: The Lost Empire (Collectors Ed. of course).

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I always demo with the opening battle sequence in Gladiator. I watch the opening credits until the end of the battle.

If I need more, I put in the Pod Race scene in Phantom Menace.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
OK, I would suggest...

- Air Force One
- Twister
- Titan AE
- Titanic
- The Fifth Element SB
- Contact
- Gladiator
- ID4
- Iron Giant
- Mask Of Zorro
- Matrix
- Men In Black
- Perfect Storm
- Phantom Menace
- Toy Story 1 & 2 UTB
- Vertical Limit
- X-Men

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Saving Private Ryan : either of the bookend battles will suffice for surround ambience and soundstaging.
Welcome to surround sound! You're going to like it. :)

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Without a sub, you may want to try something with really good "ambiance" surround sound such as:

The Others
The Legend of Baggar Vance
Oh Brother Where Art Thou
Unbreakable
Fantasia 2000
CastAway
Seven

Though some of these discs have some great base scenes, they are very good with basic ambiance effects which will sound great even without a sub.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
I think the pod race scene in TPM is about as good as Dolby Digital gets. It almost (and I repeat - ALMOST) rivals some DTS soundtracks.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The Phantom Menace. Even in the the non action scenes, there is constant use of the surrounds. Of course, there's the pod race and the final battles (lightsabers through all 5 speakers, sweet!)

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
What Sean said.. FOTR is utterly stunning wrt sound. :)
Watched it last night, and thought it was even better than at the cinema.
Although I'd consider buying a sub for all of the above soundtracks, especially FOTR.. those drums in the dark.! The Balrog's footsteps, and the One Ring's impacts.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Jacob,

You have a few good ones in your collection already. I would suggest Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park 3 (I really like 3's mix a lot), Starship Troopers, The Mummy and Mummy Returns, and T2.

-Dean-

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i'd second the Mask of Zorro.
one of the most under-valued surround DD tracks.
it always surprises me how rarely it gets mentioned in threads like this.
was just watching part of it this morning and it still rocks and rolls all over some of the more popular 'sacred cows'.

also would recommend Superman the movie.
the opening credits are just plain fun.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Rent a copy of Star Trek:Insurrection. Fire up chapter .. 15, "Agressive Tendancies"? and turn off the TV. When the drone-flyers appear, the sounds will swirl around your speakers. Having the TV off makes you more aware of the positional sounds.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
I don't know about you guys, but I find Resident Evil to have an impressive bass technoish soundtrack, especially, the beginning introduction. I find RE's soundtrack better than the Blade 2's.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I need to upgrade my sub after wathcing LOTR, but if there is one movie that requires a sub upgrade it would be Haunting DTS. The bass on this disc is bowel threatening even at low volumes. Bolt things down and take the pictures off the wall before watching this film at a loud sound level with a good sub. I have not found many subs that can actually create the proper bass in this film. most bottom out immediately. You have been warned!

I second the Mask of Zorro suggestion. The special edition has a DTS track too, and there is a Superbit deluxe on the way.(Damn you columbia!)

Men in Black has some sweet sound. As does Speed 5 star.

One of my favorite panning effect demos is actually Chicken Run. When Rocky and Ginger are in the oven, when the flames ignite it starts at the front speaker and swirls around the room, with every new torch backed by beautiful bass.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Yeah, that Haunting DTS is a tough mix. It almost seems a bit overdone in places. But if you want the biggest boom, there you go.
Surround FX.. Episode 1, or from what people have been saying, Lord of The Rings.
Moulin Rouge has a really nice mix too. Very full sound when the music kicks in.
Plenty of good refrences on this thread. Fast and the Furious as another with very active surrounds.
Take your pick. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks