Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

DVDs with good surround effects: Which one should be the first?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   jacob w k

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted July 24 2002 - 09:17 AM

I am going to be setting up (hopefully) my first surround sound system in the next week or so and was wondering which dvd I should watch first? Only will be able to decode dolby digital and will have 5 speakers but no subwoofer. Here is a link to my collection or if you have any suggestions of something I should get.
Thanks
My dvds

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   John Gallagher

John Gallagher

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 24 2002 - 09:26 AM

I always demo my surround sound with Teminator 2: Judgement Day. The initial future war scene has great directional effects tied to the onscreen action. Also if you want to hear an aggressive and unsubtle 5.1 mix check-out Atlantis: The Lost Empire (Collectors Ed. of course).

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted July 24 2002 - 09:36 AM

I always demo with the opening battle sequence in Gladiator. I watch the opening credits until the end of the battle. If I need more, I put in the Pod Race scene in Phantom Menace.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted July 24 2002 - 09:51 AM

OK, I would suggest... - Air Force One - Twister - Titan AE - Titanic - The Fifth Element SB - Contact - Gladiator - ID4 - Iron Giant - Mask Of Zorro - Matrix - Men In Black - Perfect Storm - Phantom Menace - Toy Story 1 & 2 UTB - Vertical Limit - X-Men
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted July 24 2002 - 01:37 PM

Saving Private Ryan : either of the bookend battles will suffice for surround ambience and soundstaging.

Welcome to surround sound! You're going to like it. Posted Image

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   Tom Rags

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor

• 576 posts

Posted July 24 2002 - 05:35 PM

Without a sub, you may want to try something with really good "ambiance" surround sound such as: The Others The Legend of Baggar Vance Oh Brother Where Art Thou Unbreakable Fantasia 2000 CastAway Seven Though some of these discs have some great base scenes, they are very good with basic ambiance effects which will sound great even without a sub.

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   Veli-Matti Reitti

Veli-Matti Reitti

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted July 24 2002 - 08:06 PM

Of your collection i would go with T2:UE or Starship Troopers.

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   SteveA

SteveA

Supporting Actor

• 701 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 01:02 AM

I think the pod race scene in TPM is about as good as Dolby Digital gets. It almost (and I repeat - ALMOST) rivals some DTS soundtracks.

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 02:16 PM

I would add Black Hawk Down to the other good suggestions here.
For ordinary men, it's a burning, fiery furnace.

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 02:23 PM

The Phantom Menace. Even in the the non action scenes, there is constant use of the surrounds. Of course, there's the pod race and the final battles (lightsabers through all 5 speakers, sweet!)

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted July 25 2002 - 02:46 PM

Wait on Lord of the Rings. The sound mix is ungodly!
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 01:26 AM

What Sean said.. FOTR is utterly stunning wrt sound. Posted Image

Watched it last night, and thought it was even better than at the cinema.

Although I'd consider buying a sub for all of the above soundtracks, especially FOTR.. those drums in the dark.! The Balrog's footsteps, and the One Ring's impacts.

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter

• 1,829 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 01:52 AM

Jacob, You have a few good ones in your collection already. I would suggest Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park 3 (I really like 3's mix a lot), Starship Troopers, The Mummy and Mummy Returns, and T2. -Dean-

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 02:18 AM

i'd second the Mask of Zorro. one of the most under-valued surround DD tracks. it always surprises me how rarely it gets mentioned in threads like this. was just watching part of it this morning and it still rocks and rolls all over some of the more popular 'sacred cows'. also would recommend Superman the movie. the opening credits are just plain fun.

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 05:20 AM

Rent a copy of Star Trek:Insurrection. Fire up chapter .. 15, "Agressive Tendancies"? and turn off the TV. When the drone-flyers appear, the sounds will swirl around your speakers. Having the TV off makes you more aware of the positional sounds.

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Michael Bermudez

Michael Bermudez

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 06:04 AM

The Fast and the Furious. I watched it again a couple nights ago. Very aggressive surround mix.

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   John Doroshenk

John Doroshenk

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 08:14 AM

when you finally get a sub, check out U-571 the opening scene is downright scary.
John Doroshenk

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor

• 511 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 08:45 AM

I don't know about you guys, but I find Resident Evil to have an impressive bass technoish soundtrack, especially, the beginning introduction. I find RE's soundtrack better than the Blade 2's.

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 11:11 AM

I need to upgrade my sub after wathcing LOTR, but if there is one movie that requires a sub upgrade it would be Haunting DTS. The bass on this disc is bowel threatening even at low volumes. Bolt things down and take the pictures off the wall before watching this film at a loud sound level with a good sub. I have not found many subs that can actually create the proper bass in this film. most bottom out immediately. You have been warned! I second the Mask of Zorro suggestion. The special edition has a DTS track too, and there is a Superbit deluxe on the way.(Damn you columbia!) Men in Black has some sweet sound. As does Speed 5 star. One of my favorite panning effect demos is actually Chicken Run. When Rocky and Ginger are in the oven, when the flames ignite it starts at the front speaker and swirls around the room, with every new torch backed by beautiful bass.
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted July 26 2002 - 06:04 PM

Yeah, that Haunting DTS is a tough mix. It almost seems a bit overdone in places. But if you want the biggest boom, there you go.

Surround FX.. Episode 1, or from what people have been saying, Lord of The Rings.

Moulin Rouge has a really nice mix too. Very full sound when the music kicks in.

Plenty of good refrences on this thread. Fast and the Furious as another with very active surrounds.

Take your pick. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users