Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Monster Squad and Spookies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Corey * C

Corey * C

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted July 22 2002 - 11:30 AM

Anyone remember these movies? HORRIBLE stuff....

Saw them as a kid, and I would kill for them on DVD - or even VHS (shudder). Any suggestions on where to find these gems? Or any thoughts on the possibilty of a DVD release?

Also, I'd appreciate any info on sites related to these flicks....I can't seem to find info that they even exist.

My fav scenes (from the last time I saw both, about 10 years ago) have to be:

In The Monster Squad, the scene where the kids are spying on the girl next door from their tree house and the scene near the end with the Dracula babes.

In Spookies, the odd birthday chase scene with Angus Black, and the downbeat end.

Reminisce with me, and convince me I'm not crazy Posted Image

-C-

#2 of 10 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 3,995 posts

Posted July 22 2002 - 01:17 PM

Oh god, Spookies was one of the very first laserdiscs I bought- it was $6.88 at Camelot music (bought it along with Drive-in Massacre for $15.88, still a low price by LD standards!) The disc is laser-rotted pretty badly too, it was made by Technidisc which is regarded as the very worst laserdisc manufacturer ever!
I heard this was actually 2 unfinished movies edited together, which explains the kid at the beginning sort of being forgotten about. The cover says this actually won some sort of sci-fi/horror fan award, so I expected it to actually be good!
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#3 of 10 Corey * C

Corey * C

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted July 22 2002 - 03:24 PM

Holy crap! I remember seeing that on the cover! And now that you say, 2 movies edited together makes a lotta sense.
Thanks for the info, Jesse....

-C-

#4 of 10 MikeFR

MikeFR

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted July 22 2002 - 06:13 PM

Monster squad was one of my favorite movies as a kid. Would love to see that on dvd...

"Wolfman's got balls!"... atleast I think thats the quote, been a long time since I last saw that one. Posted Image

#5 of 10 Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted July 22 2002 - 07:09 PM

Quote:
"Wolfman's got balls!"... atleast I think thats the quote, been a long time since I last saw that one.

You mean nards. Posted Image

DJ

#6 of 10 MikeFR

MikeFR

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted July 22 2002 - 08:23 PM

Nards! I knew balls didnt quite sound right Posted Image

#7 of 10 Anthony Liz

Anthony Liz

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted July 22 2002 - 09:06 PM

Oh, what I would give to have Monster Squad on DVD! To me, MS is the Goonies of Horror films Posted Image
Faster Than a Speeding Laserdisc...
www.DVDtoons.com

#8 of 10 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,959 posts

Posted July 23 2002 - 12:38 AM

I'd happily purchase Monster Squad...I do remember Dracula's babes as well. But not the details. Pics I say!

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#9 of 10 Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

• 1,711 posts

Posted July 23 2002 - 02:42 AM

Here's a link to the Japanese import Monster Squad LD review. I would definitely pick this one up if ever released on DVD.

http://www.horrordvd...a-m/msquad-jld/

#10 of 10 David_N

David_N

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted July 23 2002 - 04:36 AM

I have Monster Squad taped off Skinamax. Terriable movie, but I would buy it if released.

My favorite quote:
Quote:
Scary German Guy is bitchin.

Forum Nav Content I Follow