Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Pioneer VSX-D8112 and "Advanced Surround" Options

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted July 20 2002 - 03:35 PM

I currently have a Pioneer VSX-D811S receiver, Sony SS-MB300H mains, ss-mc490 center, and 4 ss-mb100h surrounds in a quasi 7.1 setup. I also have a 120watt 10" subwoofer.

I also have a panasonic rp56 prog scan dvd, a Hitachi 43" hdtv, and an older Hughes gold dtv receiver.

I love my receiver and speaker setup (especially w/ dts-es and dolby-ex material).

My question concerns the "Advanced Surround" option, which seems to be some sort of pioneer proprietary dsp setting meant to assist DPL2, NEO6, DD, and DTS decoding.

I'm a bit confused about how exactly it works.

From analog sources, does is do some sort of dsp processing after DPL2 or NEO6 decodes, or does it use a completely different set of decoding instructions?

From digital sources, does it do some sort of dsp processing after the DD EX or DTS ES is done, or does it use some different decoding?

I can't tell a large amount of difference in analog or digital mode, which leads me to believe it is some sort of post-processing that takes place after the initial decoding... but which decoding is done first (when in advanced surround mode, you can't pick between DPL2 and NEO6).

I would be greatly appreciative if someone more knowledgeable on the subject could enlighten me on the workings of this system.

For now, i'll just stick w/ NEO6 Cinema and leave the "advanced surround" off until i know what it really does and how it works.

Thanks!

S. Hopkins

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   ThomasL

ThomasL

Supporting Actor

• 972 posts

Posted July 20 2002 - 06:16 PM

Stephen, I'm not sure exactly how it works either but I can say that I've found all those advanced DSP surround modes to be useless on my 811S. They either create too much echo effect or don't do anything. My advice would be to just stick with the "basics." I was glad to see Pioneer dropped some of their more annoying DSP modes for music such as Hall1, Hall2, etc.

cheers,

--tom

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts

Posted July 21 2002 - 04:50 PM

same here, thomas is right, I also found advance surround modes on 811s useless, I like basic decoding better.
Free Will; Its a bitch!

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   LinChen

LinChen

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted July 22 2002 - 09:48 AM

The only advence surround mode i occasionally use is 6-channel stereo (The two-channel direct mode is most frequently used for music cds).

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   aldamon

aldamon

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted July 23 2002 - 03:31 AM

The only advanced surround mode I use is 6-Channel Stereo. It's a nice way to break in all of the speakers.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Jean_Hendrickx

Jean_Hendrickx

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted July 24 2002 - 05:46 AM

I've a Pioneer VSX-810, with 6 10" speakers (100 watts) each with a med and tweeter plus subw; I think the music will be sound better if I buy two 100 watts floor standing speakers with more elements. I've seen a Sony speakers with 80 watts and 4 elements. Am I right? Using two full size speakers will enhance my stereo sound?

Jean H//

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users